Virgin Galactic crash.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

renault12ts

MB Club Veteran
Car
2005 W215 CL500.
Breaking news.

Unconfirmed bt:-
Virgin Galactic is reporting that there has been an "in-flight anomaly" aboard SpaceShip Two. There are unconfirmed reports that one of the two pilots is dead. The suborbital flight took off at 9:19am PDT from the Mojave Air and Spaceport in California. [Update: Virgin Galactic has confirmed that SpaceshipTwo has crashed and the California Highway Patrol has confirmed that there is one fatality and one major injury.]

The flight marked the first use of a new type of fuel to power the ship's engine.

From NBC News:

The reported anomaly came after SpaceShipTwo fired up its rocket engine in flight for the first time in more than nine months. Since then, Virgin Galactic has switched the plane's fuel mixture from a rubber-based compound to a plastic-based mix — in hopes that the new formulation would boost the hybrid rocket engine's performance.

The crash has now been confirmed by the the director of the Mojave Air and Space Port Stu Witt who will hold a press conference at 2pm local time.

Spaceship 2 appears to use a hybrid rocket system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_rocket

Last edited:
A tragedy for those involved, and a reminder that space travel is never routine :(

There was the other rocket this week too.

It's not as easy as it looks perhaps?

So what do we all think, has anyone ever landed on the moon or is it all a big conspiracy?

Conspiracy in my view I heard some where that the space station up there at the moment and space shuttle flights in to space are only just outside earths atmosphere as radiation levels are to high for humans and that is with modern technology protection so how they get so deep in to space back in the day in a tin can that my w124 has probably 100 times the computing power and that's being generous only my view

So what do we all think, has anyone ever landed on the moon or is it all a big conspiracy?
Why would they need to do that when they can control our thoughts through the television set?
UFO-Tin-Foil-Hat.jpg

Conspiracy in my view I heard some where that the space station up there at the moment and space shuttle flights in to space are only just outside earths atmosphere as radiation levels are to high for humans and that is with modern technology protection so how they get so deep in to space back in the day in a tin can that my w124 has probably 100 times the computing power and that's being generous only my view
Oh boy, do you wear a tin foil hat too?

To give a more serious answer to your question instead of taking the piss ;) you really need to go back to the US mindset of the 60's where they were in massive arms race against the USSR and space was regarded as the "higher ground" tactically speaking. It was felt that the domination of space was the key to supremacy in the arms race. The bulk of astronauts came from military backgrounds [ naval test / fighter pilots] with a sprinkling of civilian scientists. The prospect of these guys dying on their missions were extremely high, they knew it and accepted it as their military / patriotic duty. So despite the risks of cosmic radiation they went ahead anyway and with a few exceptions survived to tell the tale.
If you haven't read it I recommend you read Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff and see what you think afterwards. The Right Stuff: Amazon.co.uk: Tom Wolfe: Books

ZFO163WolfeCVR_lg.jpeg

Last edited:
How come no one's gone back to build space station on the moon then as a stepping stone for life on mars with today's technology surely be easy peazzy now where did I put my tin foil hat lol and don't get me started on area 51 apparently that's where the space walks took place

Because the USA is essentially bankrupt. You have to look to the new emerging nations to spend the vast amounts of money required on such things- India and China. Putting people up there is mainly a prestige thing because they are high maintenance life support / food /waste etc etc -. Sending increasingly sophisticated robots may be the way forward in the immediate future. Man will experience landing on MARS but perhaps in a sort of "virtual reality " way. So maybe the Mars landing will indeed be from a Television studio this time- but not in a pretend way.:dk:

So how come no one's been back for 40 + years why not base their star wars rocket and laser defence on the moon how did they survive the high off the scale radiation doses ( maybe had tin foil suit's with hats) and think back to the technology available back then always makes me laugh when im fiddling with my old cars that were built 2 to 3 decades after the moon walk dynamos regulator boxes printed circuits electromagnets viscous fans with wax switches lol that will get you to the moon telephone exchanges that took up a whole building zx81 wasn't even around for about 20to 30 years (for people of a certain age that was really the first home computer)

So how come no one's been back for 40 + years why not base their star wars rocket and laser defence on the moon how did they survive the high off the scale radiation doses ( maybe had tin foil suit's with hats) and think back to the technology available back then always makes me laugh when im fiddling with my old cars that were built 2 to 3 decades after the moon walk dynamos regulator boxes printed circuits electromagnets viscous fans with wax switches lol that will get you to the moon telephone exchanges that took up a whole building zx81 wasn't even around for about 20to 30 years (for people of a certain age that was really the first home computer)

That must be the longest sentance in the world. Any chance of re- writing it so it makes sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom