Virgin Media Woes... Censorship!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Grrr.... I've been recently "swapped" to Virgin Media (from Blueyonder, to NTL and now to Virgin)... I've kept a VERY open mind.

I thought that things seemed ok, but I haven't received my first bill yet... then two or three nights ago I realise I can't access a site I visit (very) often; I thought that the site was down.

Eventually, I decided to do a quick google search, and everyone seemed happy that the site was up; so I grabbed a cgi-proxy, tapped in the url I wanted to visit and lo-and-behold, the site works!

I tried this on 3 operating systems (wXP, macOSX, w2K), with a multitude of browsers, its DEFINELY not client side. Then I thought my ip might be banned, so I asked a friend on NTL/Virgin to test, he times out too! So I try a much more public proxy, and I get a warning from the site "Proxy IP banned".

So, this leads me to conclude that my ISP is filtering what I can and can't view... am I right in coming to this conclusion? I tried connecting through another ISP (well, a VPN through my old college which allows me to still VPN over and share their connection) and it works...

Now, what henious sites I must visit to warrant such an action you may be thinking? Nothing less than bitme.org (http://www.bitme.org/), an e-learning site! The one site I used to grab training video's and e-books to keep up to date!

Can I get some quick "tests" from you guys? Can you get to the site? (bitme.org)? What ISP are you with? Have all ISP's decided to limit our quest for knowledge or just Virgin?

Michele

/me heads off to the phone...

Problem solved...

had a quick chat with one of the admins... the site is experiencing SYN flood; as such, most of Europe wont be able to connect... this is taking a while to clear up!

I guess I got a little too "on edge" with Virgin, my apologies to virgin! My connection feels a little slow, but we shall see how that goes tomorrow... :p Lets hope bitme comes up soon, I have an apple exam coming up!

Michele

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom