Virgin - on the ridiculous !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I believe that - as others said - Virgin were probably not obliged to refund the tickets under the T&C, though they could have made a goodwill gesture (perhaps offer to change the date etc).

But I did not quite manage to see if the OP was actually covered by Travel Insurance for this ticket purchase?

Either way, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that the OP did not have travel insurance - which was obviously a mistake....

I also found the opening post quite hard to read.

Flango active avoidance of Virgin I can understand (although you have to be quite committed to it to avoid using the trains). My daughter can rant for hours. The first thing they did when taking over East Coast was scrap the extremely successful loyalty scheme. I now avoid their trains also. Used to provide a couple of first class family breaks a year.

Virgin have clearly already lost the OP's custom by sticking to the terms and conditions as they are entitled to. Upsetting them further with free publicity is not likely to bother them.

I'm assuming that the OP did not have travel insurance - which was obviously a mistake....

I also found the opening post quite hard to read.

Flango active avoidance of Virgin I can understand (although you have to be quite committed to it to avoid using the trains). My daughter can rant for hours. The first thing they did when taking over East Coast was scrap the extremely successful loyalty scheme. I now avoid their trains also. Used to provide a couple of first class family breaks a year.

Virgin have clearly already lost the OP's custom by sticking to the terms and conditions as they are entitled to. Upsetting them further with free publicity is not likely to bother them.

David

I now travel from Doncaster using Grand Central or Hull trains but if they don't run at convenient times I use East Midlands trains via Meadowhall park and ride. Any option is better than the excuse of a service Virgin offer

If you buy a "non refundable" airline ticket and then cancel, why would you expect the airline to refund you?
Did you read the terms and conditions before you purchased the "non refundable" airline ticket?
Extremely unfair to diss Virgin Atlantic for your own failings.
This is what travel insurance is for, although I would assume they won't refund you for a "non refundable" airline ticket.

I believe that - as others said - Virgin were probably not obliged to refund the tickets under the T&C, though they could have made a goodwill gesture (perhaps offer to change the date etc).

But I did not quite manage to see if the OP was actually covered by Travel Insurance for this ticket purchase?

Either way, I wish him a speedy recovery.

I suspect the OP was travelling on a discounted ticket, as most of us do. The deal is very straightforward. You give up the flexibility of a full price ticket in order to get a cheaper price but the airline will never offer flexibility on that ticket class. They want you to pay more for the option to change dates. No point complaining about it.

The real question here is why no refund from travel insurance for what looks like a serious injury. Please tell us the insurer and their reason so we can avoid them.

Jon

David

I now travel from Doncaster using Grand Central or Hull trains but if they don't run at convenient times I use East Midlands trains via Meadowhall park and ride. Any option is better than the excuse of a service Virgin offer

Makes sense Ian - I normally try for Hull Trains. Get fed up with always ending up in the GCT carriage that stank of toilet.

Virgin are pretty good on the West Coast main line. Comfortable, even in the cheap seats on the tilting Pendolino trains.

Sometimes cheap advance tickets too, once Preston to Glasgow £9 each way. Hoping for a cheap deal on the 8th...

Thanks for all your replies - unfortunately you do get some obtuse folk !!
You got D H's like Red c220 !! really ! who whio do you think you are ?
And the likes of white nemesis !!

I go on many forums and it really annoys me when people make totally pointless comments and often obtuse ! not necessary with my posts, but you see / read it all too often !

Far from being a DH...Red c220 is correct. If you can't be bothered to write at least in a rudimentary, primary school fashion...why should people read what you write. Paragraphs make it readable...yours wasn't.

Now...why were you not covered by your insurance...a simple question, surely?

Now...why were you not covered by your insurance...a simple question, surely?

Step 1. Don't bother with insurance.
Step 2. Blame everyone except yourself for the loss and for criticising you.
Step 3. Whatever you do, don't admit that it might be your fault.

Or is there something I'm missing? Come on, cheffy, spill the beans...

Oh dear, another thread down the s4itpan. I see merit in both Red and Peters replies and would still like to know why the travel insurance refused to payout.

Oh dear, another thread down the s4itpan. I see merit in both Red and Peters replies and would still like to know why the travel insurance refused to payout.

It was down the s4itpan from post one,,!

I've just had another go at reading the OP, It's hard going and I was completely out of breath by the end of it, It comes across as attention seeking and I'm not convinced that It's not just a load of BS!

As posted earlier I don't think it would have been unreasonable to expect a goodwill gesture from an airline given the circumstances, and the OP's disappointment is understandable.

However if you post on a public forum then be prepared for your post to be seen and scrutinised by a large number of people some of whom are bound to be very perceptive and/or knowledgeable.

So best way to go about it is prepare your case, write it down as clearly as possible, and provide all the required information, then be prepared to answer some questions.....

In other words...stop being a ****.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom