Virgin - on the ridiculous !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cheffy

Car
W211 280 CDi Avantgarde
Just heard on the radio this morning, some guy out yesterday to see the "Flying Scotsman" - the worlds most famous train, on its inaugural journey after a 10 year re-fit. This chap, planned his spot, gets there nice and early, sets up his chair and camera, and waits, then, just as its passing, a Virgin train "photo bombs" his shots !! all he got was pics of the smoke over the top of the Virgin train - poor wee thing, I do sympathize, however, Virgin heard about this, and have (apparently) given him complimentary return tickets to fly to New York - well done Virgin.----------------- BUT - hang on, last year my wife and I were booked to go to New York at the end of June, flying with Virgin Atlantic, but unfortunately 3 weeks before we were due to leave, I had a rather serious, and very painful accident where I shattered my heel - into 4 !! I was virtually unable to walk, had to have an operation ( 2 weeks later ) where plates and screws etc were put in, to piece my heel back together, all very unfortunate, so as I was non weight bearing for at least 8 weeks on that foot, and strongly advised NOT to fly, (I got DVT anyway - bu66er) we had to cancel our trip to N Y, so, I managed to get a full "no quibble" refund from the hotel - Hilton - Finacial District (btw) big thanks to them - BUT, Virgin Atlantic says absolutely STRICTLY NO REFUNDS !! even although I forwarded a letter from the orthopedic surgeon explaing the seriousness of my injury and details of the operation, I also had to forward a letter from my GP (which cost £35 btw ?!) also explaing and confirming my injury and that I really could NOT fly - however Virgin says, NO, NO refund, and that someone in the party would have to have died before they will give any refund !! - - - I was told that the flight was full ! ? So, it is my view,as we informed them almost immediately, they would have had almost 3 weeks to re-sell these seats, which I am sure that they would have done - no problem ! I pleaded my case, saying New York is a very "on your feet" holiday, and that I basically can't walk, but, I have been strongly advised NOT to fly but, they still refused to give even a partial refund ! ? My gripe here is, someone gets his photos ruined by a Virgin Train, so Virgin - as a whole, heard about this - and have given him comp flights to NY, and most likely getting accomodation as well - he did not complain, he just posted his unlucky situation on social media, I'd like to make it clear that I am NOT against this guy getting these flights, and good on him, and hope he and his + 1 have a great time. NO, my major gripe is with Virgin, we had paid over £900 for flights, genuinely could NOT go, and yet flatly refused to even partially refund us !! Go figure !!!!!!! To make it even worse, our insurance company have just informed us - after almost 7 months,that they will not honour our claim, even although we had an anual policy, but thats another story. SO, be caerful who you fly with ! My (bionic) foot as it is now - with it's scaffolding !
Hers an xray pic of my "bionic" foot :(

Paragraphs please, my 46 year old eyes can no longer cope with huge blocks of text without breaks.

TYVM.

Virgin have no responsibility to refund, that's why one takes out travel insurance.

Why have your travel insurance company refused to pay out?

It must be galling for you but your case does raise a couple of questions

Was 'No refunds' mentioned in the terms and conditions of your tickets?

Did you have travel insurance?

Whats the point of being deliberately obtuse?

I think anyone could see the irony in OP's post.

Besides, pretty **** by Virgin I must say. Regardless of terms and conditions you would expect some sympathy.

Last edited:

I can see the iron in his foot if that helps?

I'm sure that Virgin were very sympathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

No irony at all.

The train spotter got huge advertising for Virgin...the OP didn't.

If there's a gripe it has to be with the insurer, not the airline.

I meant irony in the situation, not sure how much irony there is in the actual post.

I'm sure that Virgin were very sympathetic.

In my world, I help people out if it doesn't cost me anything. I even help if it cost me something. Specially under such unfortunate circumstances.

I am not surprised by Virgins response, but i still think it is ****.

I guess we all have different values

I wouldn't use any Virgin transport, after all virgins don't go all the way :D

I had to laugh when I saw that on the news. I thought what a saddo, but then I realised that it's probably no worse that going to look at cars or watches!:doh::eek:

Ridiculous that your travel insurance would not pay out. Have you thought about a letter to the travel lady in the weekend Telegraph? She seems to get things resolved!

I was so glad to have travel insurance when I ended up in intensive care, and isolation, whilst on holiday! It would have cost thousands otherwise. As it was, the hospital bill was covered, plus extra time at the hotel to recover and car hire. Phew!

Virgin portray one image but the reality is totally different, they say they fly the flag for Britain enter negotiations with British Companies and then deal overseas. No problem with that in a competitive market but there's no honesty or transparency there at all.

After very poor service on Virgin Atlantic and Virgin trains I now no longer use them or any Virgin products.

Can't take away the fact Branson is a brilliant entrepreneur but it comes at a cost to Britain and the British public.

Last edited:
Virgin portray one image but the reality is totally different, they say they fly the flag for Britain enter negotiations with British Companies and then deal overseas. No problem with that in a competitive market but there's no honesty or transparency there at all.

After very poor service on Virgin Atlantic and Virgin trains I now no longer use them or any Virgin products.

Can't take away the fact Branson is a brilliant entrepreneur but it comes at a cost to Britain and the British public.

Are you aware that nearly all Virgin companies are independent of RB and each other these days?

Are you aware that nearly all Virgin companies are independent of RB and each other these days?

Yep but he is always involved in the start up and still involved heavily in Virgin Atlantic. But dig deep into that company and it doesn't quite fly the flag for Britain like it portrays

Besides, pretty **** by Virgin I must say. Regardless of terms and conditions you would expect some sympathy.

Thanks for all your replies - unfortunately you do get some obtuse folk !!
You got D H's like Red c220 !! really ! who whio do you think you are ?
And the likes of white nemesis !!

I go on many forums and it really annoys me when people make totally pointless comments and often obtuse ! not necessary with my posts, but you see / read it all too often !

Nothing obtuse, simple question, why did your travel insurance decline your claim?

I wish you well with your recovery.

I am also curious. On what grounds did your insurer decline your claim??

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom