Virgin Traveller to America

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep , I still have an 8 way one with Euro plug on it , great for charging phones , cameras computers etc

Yes we always seem to forget to take ours (and then have to purchase at our destination) and now have a box full of adaptors.

Tipping: the norm is minimum 15%, often bills will show what 15%, 18%, or 20% is.

Fueling your car, most times your UK bank card won’t work at the pump as you cannot enter a zip code (postcode). - go in to the cashier and prepay say $40, using your card at desk with a PIN works fine, if you use less, the lower amount only is charged to the card. You don’t have to return to cashier.

Cards such as REVOLOUT work very well, you preload funds direct from your bank online, and avoid the conversion charges. (And poor conversion rates) You can add funds any time.

Salem about an hour out of Boston is very interesting, lots of stuff about the witch hunts.

There is a fantastic beach near Salem called Wingersheek Beach, fine white sand and a picture postcard lighthouse!

Downtown Boston - Quincy Market is full of quirky shops (a bit similar to Covent Garden in London)
The walking tours are good, you get a guide and follow differing coloured lines on the pavements.

Boston Common is a lovely park.

Duck tours are fun

You can turn right on a red light unless a sign prohibits it.

Boston is a lovely city, one of my very favourites in the states.

With luck you’ll maybe catch the start of fall colours, it’s been a hot year so it should be spectacular.

Very relaxed dress codes in most places.

You’ll have a great time :)

You can also go on a boat tour to see the whales, and there's also the New England Aquarium.

On the fuelling front, many of the cards like Revolut are classed as credit and not debit cards in the US, so you end up paying the higher price in some stations. Better to just use cash.

Fuel stations are still one of the most likely places for card cloning as well in the US.

Cash works as described, pay the money up front and if you don't use it all, you just go and get the change back.

Try making sure your hire car is a Chevrolet with sat nav. If it is (and from a reputable hire company) it should have the brilliant sat nav system installed where you push the Nav button and a real live person comes on and asks you where you want to go and sends the instructions to the car. If you deviate or get lost you just push the button again and as if by magic another live human voice comes out of the speakers and puts you on the right track !
I can't remember what the system is called but i have used it a lot of times , it's really good. sometimes just the name of the hotel/shop is good enough for them to send the correct instructions.

You can (mostly) turn right at a red light , check for signs saying otherwise. Tip waiting staff. The low wage system in the USA has different rates for 'servers' where their low wages are taxed differently to any (declared) tips, Tipping is not the English way , and I still refuse to tip if I am not 100% happy, but in the USA things are a bit different and often on the bottom of your receipt will be a little printed calculation telling you how much 10/15/20/25 % of your bill would cost you should you choose to tip.

.................... and I still refuse to tip if I am not 100% happy, but in the USA things are a bit different and often on the bottom of your receipt will be a little printed calculation telling you how much 10/15/20/25 % of your bill would cost you should you choose to tip.

A USA friend of mine told me that if you are not happy with the service - tip 10% then they know you didn't like the service (which you did receive even if it was not good). If you don't tip they simply think that you are an a$$hole.

I prefer that to the system here in the UK where the smarter places (and less smart places in London) now automatically add 12.5% tip to your bill.

Good advice from all.

- If you like lobster, go get a lobster roll in Boston.

- You can turn right on a red light unless a sign says otherwise. If you are in the right-hand lane but going straight, try to be over on the left side of the lane (they're typically wide enough for two cars) to allow others to get by to make the right turn.

- Don't be afraid of a stranger if they strike up a conversation with you.

- Consider getting travel medical insurance.

- Waze is extremely good for navigation and alerting you to police, speed cameras and avoiding traffic. My three mobile phone plan allows me to roam for free in the USA and make and receive calls with UK numbers. And most modern rental cars have Car Play so you can use Waze.

- Try not to tailgate at stoplights - they like to leave quite a bit of room between "VEE - HIKKELS".

- Sharing courses is acceptable.

- Try to enjoy all the stop signs and traffic lights...

Travel Medical Insurance is an absolute must in the US, not a consider. There is no concept of an NHS service in the US for foreigners (Medicaid is just a government insurance policy to use private healthcare for the under privileged).

Make sure you have cover as even a simple prescription can be hundreds of dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom