Virus Removal Help needed please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flash

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercs
Hi,

I have unfortunately picked up some bad viruses on my home PC which I am running XP on. I have AVG Anti virus and it picked up most of the viruses apart from 4.

The Viruses are stopping myself from doing a Windows XP System Restore to an earlier date to fix the problem. The virus is so bad that at first it would not allow me any internet access for ages until I had to uninstall/reinstall the broadband modem and internet is running very slowly with a number of error messages. I downloaded Avasti Anti Virus (free trial) and it too cannot fix the problem or remove a few viruses as teh files are in use else where.

MY last resort is to rebuild the PC from the Restore disk when delivered to myself from the manufacturer BUT I don’t want to unnecessarily do that as will have to do all the Windows Updates, Install various software and alot of data (which is not al backed up yet... :eek: )

I was hoping to some how fix the virus so that I could do a XP System Restore to an earlier date. I am going to try and get hold of Norton Anti Virus 2005 but failing should that work what else can I do?

Are there any other sites/software that is free that I can use/download to fix this problem?

A google search for free +anti-virus will find a lot.

There's an on-line virus scanner at www.kaspersky.co.uk

I've been using their anti-virus software for over two years after it was rated very highly by a number of computer magazines. No doubt others will suggest different choices.

Symantec virus database

If you have identified the virus(s) concerned then if you go to the symantec(norton) virus data base. It should tell how to get rid. There may be a small removal tool there you can download to a bootable floppy to do this. Remember that you should disable the XP restore function, cos if not, the virus will be reinstalled by windows as it attemps to "mend" your system on reboot. It's explained better on the symantec pages. good luck.

Thanks for the advise tips/everyone....

I guess first thing is then to switch the System Restore function off as has been suggested and try that way.

I did not go to bed until after 2AM trying to sort this out last night and got so frustrated as was gettign no where.

Flash,

It may not be a virus as such, but a trojan or spyware. Before you go any further, download a copy of adaware from www.download.com. I know your struggling with the internet at the moment, but this is really a must have piece of software. Install and run this, and follow the prompts.

If AVG is up to date, and its finding the virus but not repairing it, then yes, try turning off system restore. If it still wont repair it, then make a note of the virus name (AVG will tell you this), and Google it. You will then find the fix, usually from the Symantec website as Grober says.

Be careful with the online virus checkers, as they can be problematic - sometimes actually installing a virus, trojan, or spyware themselves.

Let us know how you get on.

Open task manager and look at the running processes.
Some rouge processes have similar names to genuine software so type the program names into a search engine and make sure they are all genuine.

PJH said:
Open task manager and look at the running processes.
Some rouge processes have similar names to genuine software so type the program names into a search engine and make sure they are all genuine.

Spybot (also the Microsoft anti spyware beta) has a helpful tool to identify running processes and if they are identified or not. Not always clear to me what the processes are from the names.

Satch said:
also the Microsoft anti spyware beta

As an aside, I have this on my machine and the "uninstall" doesn't!

Excellent advise guys and much apperciated...

Martin: you are right that that Spyware is one of the infected files/viruses - desktop background has even changed colour to black with Spyware written on the background in addition the several virus files and many other prblems. I have limited control of the PC and cannot even change teh desktop background to anything else.

PJH: Unfortunatley, "Task Manager" has has been disabled by the virus... (if press Cntrl+Alt+Del - error message appears that Administrator has disabled access... :mad:

Guess I'll be spending best part of tonight trying to get the PC back to normal by doing what you have all advised/said to do.

Flash said:
PJH: Unfortunatley, "Task Manager" has has been disabled by the virus... (if press Cntrl+Alt+Del - error message appears that Administrator has disabled access... :mad:
Sounds a real B*. :eek: Let us know if you find out what it's called.

It really sucks. Had to rebuild two PC's now that were so badly done for they were beyond realistic redemption, both thanks to idiot children importing garbage files from friends or clicking away despite all the warning banners. They now know that doing so again will mean Bye Bye Mr Internet access.

Bogus Anti Spyware is infuriating.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/antispywareblues.asp?print=1

Worth checking if you have one of the top 25 pests on board

http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/top25.asp

DieselE said:
There's an on-line virus scanner at www.kaspersky.co.uk

I've been using their anti-virus software for over two years after it was rated very highly by a number of computer magazines. No doubt others will suggest different choices.

kaspersky was the only one to find and delete 4 trojans and a couple of virus,s I had last year, none of the others spybot etc had a sniff.

gary

The Virus/spyware messed up the whole entire PC and was beyond repair meaning that I have had to rebuild it from scratch with XP.

The virus/spyware deleted important XP WIndow files that were needed to do the System Restore and the virus was soo powerful that it ha deleted a important "Installer" file that was needed to install any software from a CD i.e. Norton Anti Virus 2006 which I have now got. Also, the iris/spyware stopped accessing important free websites such as, for example, www.download.com. I even tried the latest version of Stinger froma floppy disk and that too failed to to do anything.

Because the virus/spyware started to delete important files/data I then backed up my most important data but was unable to salvage any audio files from Windows Media Player which unfortunately I completely lost (but I do have some of them already backed up on a CD from an earlier date).

I have pretty much rebuilt my entire PC from the Recovery disk that came with it and have downloaded/installed:

- All the MS Windows/Security updates/patches all over again
- Zone Alarm
- Norton Anti Virus 2006

Prior to Norton I had used the free version of AVG ANti Virus that was available and at the time of the virus/spyware infecting my PC the AVG software was fully up to date.

I have no idea what the virus/software/trojan was BUT it was bloody good/pwerful and well written as it trashed my whole PC. Now that I have invested in Norton I am confident that I shall be better protected in the future and less vulnerable to such an attack.

G/F also picked up a nasty virus on her laptop earlier during the week and the virus had taken up all the space on the HDD BUT Norton Anti Virus 2006 cleared the problem and her laptop is all back to normal now and running fast and no pop ups appearing what so ever when on the internet.

Only problem that I have at the moment on my PC is that from a few tests "System Restore" does not work and error message appears that it is "incomplete" upon reboot of the PC after slecting the Restore Point/Date :confused: I'm not sure if this is related to the previous Virus/Spyware or whether it is because I have only installed/downloadd MS Windows/Updates/Patches and drivers for my printer and nothign else?? I am going to monitor this and see how I get on. Any posisble suggestions at all on this issue? After the XP Restore from the Recovery CD the important "Installer" file that the virus had deleted was still missing upon rebuild but Norton automatically downloaded/installed the file from the internet so that it could install Norton and other sofwtare onto the PC.

To try and fix the “System Restore” issue I have turned off the System Restore function and after the reboot I did a scan of Norton Anti Viruis and have now switched the Restore Function Back on.

I will keep you all updated on how I get on…

Last edited:
Quick update - after switching off the "System Restore" function and doing areboot, running Norton Anti Virus and rthen swicthing "System restore" back on it finally worked... :) (Thanks for the tip SEM which you gave earlier on in the thread,,,;) )

Thank You to EVERYONE who had replied to this thread in helping me to resolve the issue :). All your advise was excellent and much apperciated but because the virus/spyware/trojan was a right b@stard I unfortunately had to do a complete rebuild BUT am glad that I tired everything that you all kindly suggested first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom