Viscous Fan on C240 V6 doesn't seem to be working?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seymansey

Car
2006 CLK 320cdi Avantgarde
Evening all,

The viscous fan on my C240 doesn't seem to be hugely effective lately - if the engine is hot, then doing the old test of attempting to stop the fan blades with a rolled up news paper seems to actually stop the fan!

My question is this - can you replace the clutch mechanism itself, do they have a certain shelf life? (Car is on 221k at the moment!) or can i pull this apart myself to see if it needs a service and clean?

Evening all,

The viscous fan on my C240 doesn't seem to be hugely effective lately - if the engine is hot, then doing the old test of attempting to stop the fan blades with a rolled up news paper seems to actually stop the fan!

My question is this - can you replace the clutch mechanism itself, do they have a certain shelf life? (Car is on 221k at the moment!) or can i pull this apart myself to see if it needs a service and clean?
if its the mechanical one i have just changed mine got one from wunderpartz approx £30 very easy to change took me about 10 minutes

You can't really strip down the mechanism AFAIK. The viscous fluid transfer is controlled via a bi metal strip acting on a pin on the front of the coupling-- this is activated by the temperature of the air [ coming thro the radiator mainly] Sometimes these can get crudded up with road grime/oil etc meaning they can't move very well or quickly in response to changing temperature and will respond to a good clean with degreaser/wd40 and an old toothbrush, but quite often replacement is the only answer if they have lost fluid from the correct galleries-- they are often awkward to get at and if its the original its owe you no favours! They must be stored vertically when off the car. Originally made by Sachs I believe ECP probably do them.

They are fixable, if the unit has failed due to oil loss, normally through age.

Fairly straightforward to disassemble the unit once on the complete fan/coupling is off the car.

Clean up the bi-metallic strip and remove it - just clips on. Then pull out the actuating pin. Oil can be added through that hole with - silicone oil, normally used on model car diffs. I gently heated the unit with a hot air gun to speed up the intake of oil.

Fiddly, but do-able.

edit. Above only applies to a viscous fan clutch - not electromagnetic

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom