Visit workshop after new battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

morzov

Hi

I have a 2005 S211 (E320 cdi 6 cyl in line)

Recently Visit workshop and red battery icon came up. Replaced the battery - it was the original so had lasted pretty well!

However the light has started to come on again but if I turn the engine off and restart the car it goes away.

Any ideas? Is it possibly the auxilliary battery playing up.

Best connect it to STAR to see what it is actually complaining about...

Aux battery issue or a failing alternator I expect.

Thank you all for the replies.

I'm not sure I know what "hold" on SBC means but I have noticed that the SBC system seems to make considerable whirring noise when the car first starts up and occassionally when in motion.

As to the alternator I think it's ok - I've got a voltage reader in the cigarette socket and it reads about 14.5V when in motion.

Last edited:
The SBC whirring is common and nothing to worry about.
SBC "Hold" is when at standstill, press hard on the brake pedal and the SBC locks the brakes on so you don't roll forward or back. There should be an indication on the dash display saying SBC Hold. When you touch the accelerator again, SBC releases the brakes.

The SBC whirring is common and nothing to worry about.
SBC "Hold" is when at standstill, press hard on the brake pedal and the SBC locks the brakes on so you don't roll forward or back. There should be an indication on the dash display saying SBC Hold. When you touch the accelerator again, SBC releases the brakes.

Ok thanks. I've just been out to check it and yes it does work. But what does that mean?

sorry to hijack a thread but thought it was better than starting a new one.

i just bought a E320cdi that had been sitting for a long time. It jump started fine no worries but now i get the conveniance functions error and the dreaded red battery light. the alternator seems to be charging ok and both batteries register over 12 with the engine off. the aux belt is a little worn (i have one to fit just havent had a chance yet) but would that cause the message. The conveniance error comes and goes (functions disabled, then available again, then disabled etc) so i guess thats intermittent. Once the Red "Visit Workshop" comes on it doesnt go away. I would add that some journeys it doesnt come on at all. My SBC Hold doesnt work but the aux battery is showing over 12 like i say so must be charging.

Is this likey to be the BCM? APologies for the long winded post.

The hold function fails if the aux battery is not being charged up, indicating a failure of the aux chargung circuit or battery control module. Good news for the OP that its not that.

check aux battery under the air intake plastic on the nearside bulkhead. 10mm spanner required. Its tiny.

it gets more involved for Deano. On mine, it was a small wire had broken between the bcm (in boot) and relay (under wiper arms). If you have a 7 seater estate its a pita to get to the bcm. I cheated.

if you can connect a multimeter and go for a drive, and have someone watch the aux voltage, it should go up to 14ish at some point. But its not at any particular time.

star will say (if its the same fault), that its the bcm AND the relay.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The aux battery is sowing 12.6 with the engine off so im guessing its charging?

I understand the red warning light is usually triggered by the Aux battery rather than the main one in the boot. the fact the conveniance warning comes and goes though makes me think its intermittant like a loose connection but all seems to be fine.

The hold function fails if the aux battery is not being charged up, indicating a failure of the aux chargung circuit or battery control module. Good news for the OP that its not that.

Ok have been away a few days since the original postand interesting what's been said.

So it would seem my auxilliary battery is ok because hold works, my main battery is new and appears to be charging ok so alternator probably good.

I'm not really sure what that leaves.

Is it possible that the new main battery still isn't fully charged yet - haven't really done any long runs since putting it in or is there another explanation?

Thanks again

The aux battery should be 13.2V off charge and off load.

Like markjay said, get it plugged in to a STAR. It's cheaper in the long run than throwing expensive parts at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom