Visit workshop! message on W211 270CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrcbenz

Car
W212 E250 CDI Avantgarde
Hi,

The Visit workshop! message has appeared on the dash of my W211 270 CDI. The symbol displayed is of the car with the arrow pointing upwards. When I press the 'raise the suspension' button it says vehicle rising on the dash, but don't feel the car rising. I guess the mechanism is faulty.

My question is, can I still drive the car as normal with this message or is it best not to drive it? I need to drive to York at the weekend and it's a 4 hour drive for me :( The manual says 'do exceed a maximum speed of 50 mph'. Also, when I unlock the car with the remote, I hear a hiss sound coming from the o/s front wheel.

Any advice from you good people is appreciated as always.

Your car has an Airmatic fault . It could be the pump , check the fuses , theres a large 40 amp fuse under the carpet in the drivers footwell , its behind a plastic cover beside where the accelator pedal locates .
It can also be due to bad electric conections to the pump , I has this problem with mine . The pump is behind the front bumper on the passenger side .
It should be ok to drive as long as the car has no air leaks and is not fully loaded with people and or luggage

Thanks Shorty for your information and advice.

I had the problem checked out by a local indie. The wiring was corroded hence the level not rising. Got the car back Monday. Tuesday I was local so didn't drive very far. But this morning after an hours drive, the same message appeared again! The hissing sound is now coming from the n/s. Suspension doesn't seem to have collapsed. The local indie is taking another look at it tomorrow. The car won't be laden with people or stuff.

Hope this will be the last of its problems. It's a lovely car to drive, great MPG, but have a slight regret buying such a sophisticated car. Only had the car since March. There's nothing like driving a Mercedes though.

Theres a manifold located in the front passenger side just infront of the wheels , it where the different air lines connect to the pump , this could be where the air leak is comming from

Hope this will be the last of its problems. It's a lovely car to drive, great MPG, but have a slight regret buying such a sophisticated car. Only had the car since March. There's nothing like driving a Mercedes though.

I have to echo that - I've driven a lot of cars and the W211 E is certainly one of the very best I've driven.

To go from stonking performance and brutal acceleration (in the E55) one minute, and driving really carefully the next where you'd have no idea what the car was - unbelieveable. I can't say the same about MPG though... :eek:

There aren't a large number if cars which aren't complicated. Granted, the airmatic stuff is not what you would typically find on most cars, lesser specification cars are still complicated these days unless you go for a Nissan Pixo thing...

Thanks Shorty for your information and advice.

I had the problem checked out by a local indie. The wiring was corroded hence the level not rising. Got the car back Monday. Tuesday I was local so didn't drive very far. But this morning after an hours drive, the same message appeared again! The hissing sound is now coming from the n/s. Suspension doesn't seem to have collapsed. The local indie is taking another look at it tomorrow. The car won't be laden with people or stuff.

Had similar issues, the pump was replaced and that was part of the problem (it was low on pressure) and the wiring that supplied it was causing problems so new wiring was fitted. Not perfect yet since there is still a leak and the car sinks to the point of the red warning if left for more than a week.

I have to echo that - I've driven a lot of cars and the W211 E is certainly one of the very best I've driven.

To go from stonking performance and brutal acceleration (in the E55) one minute, and driving really carefully the next where you'd have no idea what the car was - unbelieveable. I can't say the same about MPG though... :eek:

There aren't a large number if cars which aren't complicated. Granted, the airmatic stuff is not what you would typically find on most cars, lesser specification cars are still complicated these days unless you go for a Nissan Pixo thing...

Hi JohnEBoy,

Well, if it wasn't for an hour communte to work and what with petrol prices these days, I'd have an E55. However, the performance of the 2.7 engine is more than adequate for me and I get a good return on the MPG.

Got the car back last week from the indie who originally had it. He had to re-solder some of the wiring that came loose from the airmatic pump, but all fine now.

I too hear even the most modest of modern cars these days having complications. So I guess, whatever one drives, they'll always be problems somewhere down the line. I was in that frame of mind that's all when having a new(er) car and there shouldn't be any problems. But the E270 is 8 years old so I guess teething problems would start and something one would have to get used to. Nissan Pixo ....!!?? Well, I may have to resort to one of those one day, but not yet. For now, I have a lot of E270 for the money I paid. Did you see Top Gear when Clarkson and Hammond wanted to see what they could get for £6995? Clarkson bought a CL500, 9 years old with an almighty V12.

Had similar issues, the pump was replaced and that was part of the problem (it was low on pressure) and the wiring that supplied it was causing problems so new wiring was fitted. Not perfect yet since there is still a leak and the car sinks to the point of the red warning if left for more than a week.

Thanks for that info. I now have the car back. The local indie re-soldered some wiring to the airmatic pump and all works fine now. Could I ask how much was a new pump for you? The indie said mine wasn't leaking, it wasn't holding the pressure when the vehicle was about to be raised ... if that makes sense.

Thanks for that info. I now have the car back. The local indie re-soldered some wiring to the airmatic pump and all works fine now. Could I ask how much was a new pump for you? The indie said mine wasn't leaking, it wasn't holding the pressure when the vehicle was about to be raised ... if that makes sense.

pump was about £230 from memory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom