Visiting Channel Islands - no passport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalishi

OK - I've Googled and it seems that I don't need a passport if I'm visiting Guernsey directly from the UK (this'll be for a short break holiday).

But there's some question over whether I'd be allowed on a plane if I didn't have some form of ID. Anyone flown there recently without passport - any issues? Is a driving licence enough?

TIA

If you were to deposit a couple of million in one of their "banks" I'm sure there would be no problem.;)

Seriously why not PM Scumbag- Bet he would know.

Last edited:
Photo ID required even for domestic flights.

I would have thought your driving licence (photocard & counterpart) would be sufficient for any flight within the UK although a Passport is more useful of course

Yep, must have a photo ID. No passport, suggest driving licence

OK - I've Googled and it seems that I don't need a passport if I'm visiting Guernsey directly from the UK (this'll be for a short break holiday).

But there's some question over whether I'd be allowed on a plane if I didn't have some form of ID. Anyone flown there recently without passport - any issues? Is a driving licence enough?

TIA

Check the airline's Ts & Cs.

Basic convention is that you need photo-ID - ie. passport or photo driving licence

But. Some airlines such as Ryanair are picky - especially for online checkin - where you may need a passport.

So check the Ts & Cs.

Thanks all. Seems I'll need to check the Ts and Cs - will check this later today on the relevant Web sites.

Sorry to state the obvious, why don't you just get a passport?

No particular reason. :) Haven't had one for several years. HMG wants quite a lot for one these days.

Bonus question: what's Channel Island weather like in Spring?

climaticAves.gif

The Channel Islands are part if the Common Travel Area (along with UK, Eire, Isle of Man), which means no passport control on flights/ferries between those countries.

It will purely depend on the airline, but there's a flight from Jersey to Kent International, Manston and the people coming off that have often only had library ID cards.

(I work for UK Border Agency by the way).

You'll notice at the bigger airports (Gatwick springs to mind) that in the arrivals hall there will be queues for EU/EEA/Swiss passports and a separate queue for non-EU passport holders. There will also be a separate lane for arrivals from the CTA, which will bypass the immigration controls (butnot customs channels).

The Channel Islands are part if the Common Travel Area (along with UK, Eire, Isle of Man), which means no passport control on flights/ferries between those countries.

I went to Ireland a couple of weeks ago (and am going again tomorrow) from Heathrow and had to show my passport. It was a proper immigration passport control point, not a cheapo airline scam designed to keep your money without flying you.

Thanks again, forumites. :) I'd love to present my Woodbridge Library card when asked for ID. :D My GF would probably not see the funny side of it if I was refused boarding, though.

Looks like rainfall tapers off between March and in April, but waiting until May should give us a bit more sunshine.

Will PM Scumbag and ask for further advice.

I Think the airlines normally insist on passengers having a passport because the Channel islands can get fog bound very quickly and if they divert to France a passport would be required

I went to Ireland a couple of weeks ago (and am going again tomorrow) from Heathrow and had to show my passport. It was a proper immigration passport control point, not a cheapo airline scam designed to keep your money without flying you.

I've never worked at Heathrow, but like I said at gatwick there is a separate channel for the common travel area arrivals, which is manned by security who check the ticket and then they can bypass immigration.

At manston, we don't even attend the flights from the channel islands from an immigration point of view and if we do happen to be on the desks for a different flight, we simply let them walk straight through.

You don't need a passport to come from the UK to the channel islands. If you did get diverted to France you would be very unlucky. You are more likely to return to the UK. Photo ID such as driving licenses is good.

Guernsey is only served by Flybe, Aurigny and Blue Islands (Plymouth only Air South West) using. All 3 have websites which also have the cheapest prices on. Going through a broker will increase the cost (by a tenner usually)

Be aware, Flybe charge for your suitcase, and you need to de select it if you are not travel with a suitcase.

Aurigny currently don't charge extra for baggage, but it is being talked about along with charging for online booking and debit card fees.

You can fly direct to Guernsey from the following places.
Exeter, Southampton, Gatwick, Bournmouth, Stanstead, Manchester, Birmingham, east midlands and Jersey. In summer they do Norwich, Newcastle and Edinburgh direct.

Always compare Aurigny and Flybe Prices before booking. The more in advance you book the cheaper the choices.

I can't recommend hotels as I have only stayed in the (La Trelade). It was okay. a google search is often the best way to find a decent deal but would again recommend you ring them direct and ask if they have an offers on.

St Margarets lodge is not the best hotel to stay in.

The Grand Mare on the west coast is nice as are a number on St Peter Port itself.

Jenson Button spotters should stay here. Guernsey Hotels. La Barbarie Hotel a fine Guernsey hotel. Country house hotels.

St Peter Port has a number of decent bars, cafes and resturants. The rest of the island has less selection and usually need a car, or taxi to get to and from however, most places to eat are of very good quality.

Tip: If you hire a car, use the Aurigny.com web page to send you to europe cars. It activates a discount which is not available by other means. (Watch out for "filter in turn" junctions)

Tip 2: watch out for duty free sales at Gatwick. We have a number of travellors who do day trips, buy in Gatwick and carry on to plane. They find they can't get back through security to carry it home as it is more than 100mls.

Note: we are not in the UK or the EU so any items you buy can incur VAT or duty, so check up on what you can, or can't take home before you travel. (We raffle the items and send the money to local charities so we often pick up ltr bottles for £1)

UK money works here, as does Scottish. but Guernsey money is not welcome outside Guernsey.

is that any use?

Super - thanks, Mr S. Lots of great pointers there. :)

I hadn't thought of a fly-drive break... but that'd be an idea for getting out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom