Vista: UAC Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Howdy... quick question,
I need to transfer some files from my old MacBook Pro to my new one, but Vista's User Access Controls won't let me get into my own files when I mount the old laptop in target mode...

Any advice on how I can transfer the files? I've tried elevating myself to admin and trying again, it just times out...

Turning on the old laptop is a no-no as I get a BSOD...

I'm thinking of connecting the old laptop to a mac (which ignores the UAC metadata), transferring the files to an external HD and then back over from there into windows... but this seems a bit... round the bush!

Any ideas?
M.

Last edited:
Verify ownership credentials of the files. Make sure you are an administrator on the VISTA machine, and then change 'ownership' of the files.

Are you using the same username as on the old machine?

Tried another thing... I disable UAC on the new machine (I can't boot the old machine)... got a bit further, I managed to get my files off one of the partitions (the partition that OsX cannot see for some odd reason). That said, I still couldn't get to my home folder, that partition mounted as raw instead of NTFS!

I'm the admin on the new machine, (or do you mean the root admin that I enable in safe mode?) and I tried to change the ownership of the files - that's where the system hangs!

I can't remember my old username, but it's very possbile that it's the same username on both machines...

I started thinking that the HD was dead, until I plugged it into an osx machine, and it can read all my files... so now down a backup, just in case... It'll be a challenge to get them back to my windows machine though! (some files are quite large, and won't be able to hop over a FAT32 drive)

Such a simple task is turning into quite a chore!

M.

EDIT: Gave up trying to do it over FW800 directly - I've just plugged the windows laptop and a mac desktop into a switch, shared my vista home folder and connected to that from the OsX machine. I then mounted my old laptop on the OsX machine as an external drive and and now copying the data over...

Such a wastefull way!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom