VITO 108 CDI non start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazypolak

Car
Vito
Hi all signed up one here because Ive been having a read and looks like a good site.

Anyway I have a 1999 VITO 108 CDI.

The engine just cut out one day whilst driving and wouldn't re-start due to being busy I just towed it back and left it parked for a week or so.

Then when I went to start looking at it it re-started with no problems?

Anyway I checked for fault codes and the only ones stored were P0703 brake switch signal and P1482 glow plug output stage A15.

(The glow plugs have never worked)

So after some reading I changed the 0 rings on the fuel pressure regulator as a matter of course.

I replaced the Glow plug relay and the glow plug circuit fault went for several starts and the glow plugs were working but the fault has now come back after a few starts??

Ive been checking it on and off and it has been starting with no problems although cranks for a while but this is obviously due to the glow plugs still not working.

I moved the van out of my workshop running to move some cars around left it running out side and then it cut out again and wont re-start.

Im going to replace the fuel filter although it was done last service and the the clear push in fuel pipe (the one from the fuel rail to the pump was done a few months ago because it chaffed through)

So before I start stripping it down again checking the injectors spill off etc is there any know wiring chaffing /short problems?

I suspect a fuel problem but its odd the glow circuit fault went and has now returned.

But there are no additional fault codes stored.

Any additional tips appreciated.

I'm a new owner to the Vito crazypolak, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to advise. But please can you tell me how you "checked for fault codes" please ??
(Sorry for the thread hijack )

Really the relay should be changed After checking the plugs. as a shorted plug will burn out the relay. On mine when the fuel pressure is not there i.e no diesel, the EDC light comes on. It stays there until you crank long enough to start. Are all lights working on the dash. Probably irrelevant since u have a code reader though.

Really the relay should be changed After checking the plugs. as a shorted plug will burn out the relay. On mine when the fuel pressure is not there i.e no diesel, the EDC light comes on. It stays there until you crank long enough to start. Are all lights working on the dash. Probably irrelevant since u have a code reader though.

Hi it has new glow plugs (well 3) one is snapped and not connected. The dash lights are all OK. The glow plug light remains on due to the stored faults.

Glow plugs are tested at every start. Each plug is tested to ensure its connected. When you have any plug disconnected it will give you the warning by keeping the light on after start. Any faults will clear as soon as the system is working properly. I think like me you will have to get used to seeing it on all the time. As for your cutting out i am not too sure. Look for air bubbles in the fuel pipes, though i dont know how you would see it, i certainly could not spot them on my car, but thats usually what people have when fuel problems are suspected. Connections to the filter and to the high pressure pump may be loose or brittle.

OK I will try my broken glow plug removal tool.... Still need to sort the cutting out seems from what I have read the seals give poor starting not cutting out and non re-start problems.
Im going to replace the clear pipe as I said above and the fuel filter and see what happens.

The glow output relay will not cause non starting. Only an edc issue will cause a non start.
To start just remove the pipe from the fuel feed pump while cranking the engine and see if it's lifting fuel.
Then go from there......
A crankshaft sensor gone bad will not show faults up on a code reader necessarily

The glow output relay will not cause non starting. Only an edc issue will cause a non start.
To start just remove the pipe from the fuel feed pump while cranking the engine and see if it's lifting fuel.
Then go from there......
A crankshaft sensor gone bad will not show faults up on a code reader necessarily

Yep aware of that with the glow plug relay.

Ill scope the crank sensor and see if its giving a signal

Is there much diesel in the tank ? You have to crank for a long time if the diesel has run out but that should light the edc lamp on the dash. And of course its self bleeding so don't go opening injectors trying to bleed them. It wont send diesel to the injectors until the fuel rail has enough pressure. If the pressure is not there it should light the edc lamp again. Cranking may take a minute or more. My car has a few plugs gone. on cold mornings it takes up to 10 secs cranking.

Yep plenty of diesel in the tank and as I said before I have had it started several times since the original cut out no re-start problem and it was running fine drove out in the yard left it idling for 5-10 mins and it cut out again and wont re-start.

I think Im going to look at the crank sensor and put a scope on it and just change the clear fuel pipe as a matter of course (although from what Im aware of the O ring and pipe problems just give poor starting not cutting out problems)

Have you connected your code reader again ? Just in case there is a problem with the ecu

Yep just the glow plug fault and brake switch the same as when its running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom