vito 108d timing chain snapped! Please help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glyndwr

hi all,
the timing chain snapped today on my 1998 vito 108d. Removed the rocker cover and all the chain was located around the tensiner area, and not around the pulleys.

Any advice on how to thread a new chain around the system please.

Had alittle look, was thinking to remove the vaccuum pump to expose the sprocked of the injection pump drive and get it to the sump, somehow got to get it around the crank sprocket then back up to the top to rejoin.

I am praying that there is sufficient clearance between the pistons and the valves....... as its an old design engine..... hoping.....

Any help is greatly appreciated,

many thanks, Anthony.

it is highly unlikely that the valves will be ok, even if they were there will probably be damage in the front case, also you have to wonder why it snapped!!!! have a close look at the clearance between the cam lobes and tasppets, i am sure you will find some big gaps (ie over 1mm) indicating bent valves. the engine you have there is usually pretty much bullet proof so you will probably get a s/h one from somewhere, that will probably be cheaper than repair (eg chain, tensioner, valves and headgasket = £200). sorry to pish on your chips buddy but hey, it is what it is.

Thanks fro your reply.

I have rotated the cam on its own and visually checked the cam pressing on all of the hydraulic tappets, and they all seem good, all the same height when to pressed, and all moving down when pressed ok.

I hope its ok, but if some are bent, maybe looking at a replacement engine.

Any further help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies gents.
The head gasket was changed 2 weeks ago due to oil smoking. When the head was removed, the gasket between the timing chain compartment and cylinder 1 was eroded way, allowing oil thro into cyl 1. Skimmed the head, put on a new gasket and decoked the head, lapped in the valves.
Engine started and run fine. Day before yesterday, started to rattle, removed the rocker, and noticed the tensioner was alittle weak. Ordered one at the dealer at £65 + vat, not in stock. Had to use the vito yesterday to pick up my disabled child from my parents, and on the way it snapped. Gutted.
I can source duplex chain form a chain manufacturer i used to use just to see if the engine is recoverable, but as the head has just ben off, if i have to, i`ll have to take it off again.
Its the threading of the chain is the problem, cant see how to get it around the crank.
Thanks for you help.
Anthony.

I am just wondering if the person who did the head job did the tensioner right? Did they just take it out and then re fit it without resetting it? You may have grounds for getting the job done under a warranty.

This does very much sound like the tensioner was not intalled properly.

i think that actually this tensioner (601 engine??) does not need resetting. i am wondering if the chain was split for the head job! either way it sounds like time for a s/h engine.

Hi all, thanks for all your input.

OK, i did the head job myself, with the help of my garage friend to use his tools and equipment, ie torque wrench, valve spring compressor etc...

I dont think these type of tensioners need resetting, but i am no expert. I am a mechanical engineer (manufacturing) not auto, but can use tools and examne/ inspect equipment.

Sayin that i am not an auto engineer, just using my own experience and knowhow to get me thro, as i would not hsve been able to afford the amount to get it repaired in a auto mechanics workshop.

If i cannot easily thread the chain thro the casing by either dropping the sump etc... then it may be easier to try to locate another engine. Not sure. Whichever the easiest and most cost effective.

Again, i will have to try to do it myself, as being on income support caring for my disabled child, funds are not easily made available without someting else being sacrificed.

Any further help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, Anthony.

Some further info,

it is a 601 type engine, non turbo. There is hardly any room at the timing chain side, so any advice on what to remove to gain access to the chain threading woiuld be great.

Thanks

Can you get hold of the ends of the chain?

You need to attach the new chain to the end that goes over the injection pump sprocket with a split link, and whilst keeping it tight and meshed with the camshaft sprocket wind the crank to draw the new chain round, whilst pulling the slack end of the chain up from the tensioner.

You need to ensure the cam and crank are timed first though.

As others I'd be surprised if the valves have escaped damage.

Unfortunately, all the chain was around the slack side (tensioner area) hence not around the crank or pump sprockets, the chain is now out of the engine, as it was just bunched up not joined with anything.

Thanks.

the chain is out, and what has gone? is it just 3x plates snapped in half? or DID you disconnect it to do the head job ;). we would love to know! for my part i am saddened that you are down on your luck, life is hard sometimes, also expensive. i totally understand how gutted you feel after taking that trouble with the head job and can see why you want to thread this new chain through. if you manage it i hope that you DO achieve the impossible, it would be great to hear that those valves were ok, that the rails were not smashed, and that the chain had broken for no other reason than that it was faulty. it would be good to hear this, but i have to suggest you invest your effort in finding a new engine. i know where there is one in suffolk, do you want me to find out how much??

Hi Alex,

when i done the head, i had to break the chain to get the head off. The guide from the cam to the inj pump is fixed by a locating pin, and this would not come out, therefore i could not remove the guide, hence had to break the chain as the chain is captivated in the guide, couldnt get it out.

After the job, joined the chain with a merc joining link ok.

On examining the chain after the break, it had twisted and broke about 6 links from the join, the joining link was still ok. The inner link just pulled out from the chain, the outer was ok. So, an inner link failure, albeit close the the joining link. All due to the tensioner i`m afraid.

Unfortunately, i need a vehicle with large rear cabin to take wheelchair access, as height restrictions limit vehicle choice. My wife has a car, but it hasnt got disabled access, and i had to use the vito to pick up my kidie in his wheelchair, i know it was rattling alittle, just needed to do the journey, only 2 miles though.

To be honest, i`ve owned it since 2001 and it has been a very good vehicle, some poeple slate them terribly, but this is the first trouble i`ve had, but trust my luck its major.

The new shape vito`s from 2004 on are still very expensive to buy, along with the vw transporter, was hoping to get another 2 years out of this one while the price drops on the newer ones.

I`ll spin the cam over again in the morning and check that the valve clearances are ok, and maybe consider removing the herad again to check for damage, it shoud come off quicker this time as i know what has to be taked off.

Thanks very much for the offer to ask your friend for a price on his engine. I contacted someone today who had got one out of a 208 sprinter, and says the engine is good, dont know how much its covered tho, i think he`ll take £150 for it.

Thing is, the bottom end of mine is really good, pistons (were) in good order and very little wear in the cylinders, so i really have to consider how much potch i wasnt to got thro to get this one working.

As far as i could see, there is no guide damage, no casing damage, havent got oil leaking out anywhere, so i may be alitlle lucky (hopefully).

Any additional info is very much appreciated.

Thanks and best regards, Anthony.

beware the sprinter engine. being an inline motor and not a transverse it may have a different block - bear in mind that drive shaft bearing housing and engine mounts are different.

regarding the valves, the heads may have broken off :eek:. i have seen a sprinter engine with a valve head growing out of the top of a piston. if this is the case those tappets will be tight against the camshaft and will be very hard to turn - try that when you get chance, ie check each valve when off cam for clearance, and to see if they rotate ok.

FFS, we had a 208 sprinter sat here for about 3 yrs, had had all the engine done and just needed the slam panel putting back on, it got sold last week for £200

It aint just you fella....... Ill keep my eyes peeled, always getting offered cheap vans

just my luch at the mo geezer.

Sprinter and Vito engines are different anyway, so be careful what you buy.

Assuming your timing chain has snapped, you'll only need a head, or perhaps just a few valves.

Engine swaps in vitos are not for the spanner shy, you'll need to drop the lot down on the subframe....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom