vito 110 diesel leak and hard to start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vitoinspain

Car
mercedes vito 110
i bought a 1998 vito 110 2.3d van a couple of days ago.
it had a diesel leak but i got it for a good price.
i have ordered a workshop manual and when it arrives i am going to start work on it. i have been looking to try to see problems and there are two.
the first is the diesel leak it appears to be coming from top cover of diesel pump just underneath where the pipes from injectors attach. does anyone know if this cover can be removed with the pump still in van ?
the other problem is it very hard to start it turns over for ages before it finally started once it running its fine.
I am thinking that hopefully this might be air getting in where the diesel is leaking so if i fix leak it will start ok.
anybody with experience or thoughts on the above ??
thanks mick

i bought a 1998 vito 110 2.3d van a couple of days ago.
it had a diesel leak but i got it for a good price.
i have ordered a workshop manual and when it arrives i am going to start work on it. i have been looking to try to see problems and there are two.
the first is the diesel leak it appears to be coming from top cover of diesel pump just underneath where the pipes from injectors attach. does anyone know if this cover can be removed with the pump still in van ?
the other problem is it very hard to start it turns over for ages before it finally started once it running its fine.
I am thinking that hopefully this might be air getting in where the diesel is leaking so if i fix leak it will start ok.
anybody with experience or thoughts on the above ??
thanks mick

Do a search for delivery valve seals, that's your problem.

Here's a picture of my 110cdi engine when I removed it, where do you mean please mate.?
f274cdd8-fadf-4a54-a7db-837f97ab207d.jpg

Support the engine and remove o/s engine mount, you will see the Hp pump, I'd start by replacing the seals.

Here's a picture of my 110cdi engine when I removed it, where do you mean please mate.?
f274cdd8-fadf-4a54-a7db-837f97ab207d.jpg

mine is not a cdi engine its just a diesel i have ordered so pump seals so ill see how i get on when they arrive ?

so you think once the seals are done it will start ok ? hope so fingers crossed thanks mick

Without seeing the van in person it's difficult to say yes or no, but going on the description of where your pump is leaking I'd be looking at those seals first.

When the engine isn't running air gets in through those seals allowing the diesel in the injector lines to drain back, but run's ok once you've got it started.

update

hi all thanks for replies you were bang on it was delivery valve seals.
i have changed them and now van is fine and starts on button.
I managed to change them with pump in situ. Only thing i did was undo bolts that held throttle cable bracket to inlet manifold to improve assess, I had to use a armstrog mt500 head bolt opened ended spanner on a long socket extension to loosen fuel pipe nuts.:thumb: I managed to drop one of the springs, but luckily retrieved it from somewhere round back of pump with a magnet.
thanks again for help mick

hi all thanks for replies you were bang on it was delivery valve seals.
i have changed them and now van is fine and starts on button.
I managed to change them with pump in situ. Only thing i did was undo bolts that held throttle cable bracket to inlet manifold to improve assess, I had to use a armstrog mt500 head bolt opened ended spanner on a long socket extension to loosen fuel pipe nuts.:thumb: I managed to drop one of the springs, but luckily retrieved it from somewhere round back of pump with a magnet.
thanks again for help mick

Glad you've got it sorted. :thumb::thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom