Vito 110cdi Black Death and Smoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dazboy

Car
vito 110 cdi
Hi all,

I ve read a few posts regarding some of the issues i have but can't seem to get an answer on one of them.
I have a Vito 110CDi 2003 2.2l i have been having a sort of sucking/blowing noise since i had it but always disappeared after a few minutes i put it down to the vac system going to negative air from the sensor behind the air filter ducting under the bulkhead, 1 end of the pipe goes to a Y joint and goes nowhere, anyway the noise has become louder and also smoke in the engine bay, the noise seems to be coming from around the EGR valve side of the engine. I'm not using any oil but getting this smoke. I spent 3 hours the other night taking the top apart to check so any gaskets failing, re-sealed and rebuilt but still the same. I have taken of the air ducting and manifold to reveal the lovely Black Death. wondering if the noise could be coming from a seal from the injector failing as well as diesel leaking causing the smoke.
I have looked under the engine and there is a leak underneath but doesn't seem to be very oily, could it be the turbo failing or a split in the turbo pipework causing the smoke and noise. want to get the smoke and noise sorted first before tackling the Black Death, any help would be gratefully received.
cheers
Daz :mad:

Is the sound continuous 'whoos' or regular frequency 'tsop tsop tsop'?

Continuous noise could be splitted turbo hose or leaky clamping, intermittent sound definitely injector seal.

Then there may be leak in EGR system too, or via faulty inlet manifold flap actuator holes, this usually is shown in oily engine block under the manifold too.

Black death may cause smoking too because compression of the leaking cylinder is poor and thus burning also.

Cheers for the reply Mersum1es the sound is like the regular "tsop tsop" was thinking it could be an injector seal. When i did take the top manifold and air duct off the main oily area was around the area of the EGR and the injector next to it, there was a small pool of oil in the egr so cleaned that out and de-greased the area. Still getting the sound but the smoking could be from the oil and de-greaser on the block in that area. Hoping it wasn't the injector seals cos of the Black Death but the one that i think is making the noise isn't the worst area of tar so may get my hands dirty again later.
Think i'll post a video of the noise later so you know what its like.
daz

I've stripped the to off now and cleaned the problem with the black death and leaking injectors. i have replaced the cylinder head cover / rocker cover and cleaned injectors the retaining bolts were knackered by a previous owners repair so have been re threaded and replaced, i've replaced glow plugs but the van will not start, it turns over until it goes flat, i have tried easy start still nothing and have tried to bled the fuel system (was going to fit a inline hand pump but not sure which line to fit it to) but van still refuses to start???
Really need theis van running ASAP, i've had to hire a car to get around for 2 weeks and i'm going into hospital for spinal surgery in 2 weeks so need it done NOW, thinking of scrapping it and get and estate any ideas????????

Double-check that crankshaft position sensor is attached and wires ok!
Also check all injector connectors, loosen one will shut the engine...

One thing you could also do is tank line leak test of the injectors, fuel pressure may be escaped via dodgy injector. You'll need only some plastic hoses and clamp to block removed fuel line: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.whetstone/volvo/f2.JPG

I'm not familiar with van engines; is this CDI2 or CDI3 system? CDI2 has mechanical transfer pump driven by camshaft. That system has trouble with o-rings of the return lines, you may see air bubbles running in clear hoses.

Are you sure you put fuel lines back in right places, very common failure in CDI2 pump system.

cheers Mersumles
pretty sure everything is back to as it was, all the wires are attached. the previous owner or there garage knackered up to of the retaining bolts on the injectors, they then tapped a 12mm bolt in then reduced it an threaded it to a 6mm to go through the clamp, the other to bolts where also knackered and had threaded in the head so had to re-tap them. The engine is turning over trying to fire. I think mine's the CD12 system??
I have taken off the return pipes from the injectors to see if any fuel is coming out and to get any air out, there is fuel coming out but haven't had a chance to do it with the plastic hoses will try that in the next few days, or i might get it towed down to the local garage that can test the injectors. I think 1 of the injectors is bollocked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom