VITO 110cdi ECU problems wiring ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

satetosh

Car
vito
Ok i will try and keep this short ... a while ago i purchased this vito 110cdi .. from my mechanic in good faith .. it has had many issues .. but thankfully he has paid for everything so far! ...

1st problem arose .. when i broke down ... failed injector x 1 ... then had van back for a while .. then another ecu light came on .. injector 2 replaced ... then it came on again .. a week later or so ... glow plug relay replaced .. then sometime later a valve! ... then a week later it limited to 2500 revs .. ecu light on ... this time proved very tricky & in the end it was decided ecu was at fault! .... ok .. a few weeks later ... after all this ecu light come on again .. revs limited to 2500 .. suspected valve problem ... my mechanic informs me .. the ecu is damaged ... apparently it has taken a power surge! .. ive not tired jump starting anyone ect ... im getting nervous ! ??? he had his electronics guy trying to trace fault all day other day .. apparently all wiring & looms have been checked! ? my mechanic suggests i have .. or he has been very unlucky .... he couldnt tell me if the 1st ecu that went had been damaged by a power surge ? any ideas people! ??? im nervous now! ... the guy that sold me it is a good guy & made the mistake of giving me a mates warranty ! ..soo he has prob spent 1000 pound on this out of his own pocket! ... what sort of issues can you get with wiring ? bad earths ... dodgy connection .. that could cause a power surge ??? im very nervous ! 2 ecu gone 1 after the other more than just bad luck ... granted the 2nd one was a second hand part purchased from ebay .. as my mechanic pointed out .. its coming out of his wallet not mine ! ... so could not possibly buy a new one ect ... please give me your good advice! & experiences :dk::bannana: kind regards

jez

granted the 2nd one was a second hand part purchased from ebay .. as my mechanic pointed out .. its coming out of his wallet not mine ! ... so could not possibly buy a new one ect ... please give me your good advice! & experiences :dk::bannana: kind regards

jez

Aren't they coded, making used ones usless on anything other than the original van?

Has the van been anywhere near a star to see what's actually wrong with it?

Im not 100% sure i think from from ive heard from other sources .. its seems to happen quite a bit ... near a star ? sorry im not understanding

If the ecu limits revs to 2500 isn't that a safe mode by the ecu indicating a fault ? Was the engine light on when the revs were limited ? And if the glow plug relay fails then the glow plug lamp stays on not the engine light. After the ecu change was the problem gone for any length of time ? And how did they know it was a power surge caused the problem or is that a guess ?

My Mechanic at truck services .. had mercedes guy come with STAR .. after the guy from scan tech said the ECU had blown! ... the Mercedes guy confirmed this! .. yes after all those problems ... when ECU had been replaced .. everything was fine! ... then about maybe 4 to 5 weeks of use .. & now ECU gone again! ... this one has been confirmed that its been damaged by... a surge! .... and my mechanic has had tech man running test & checking all wiring for any bad signs ... bad earths ... shorts ect ... couldnt find anything! .... soo another used ECU is going in ! ... i hope for the best! any other thoughts anyone? i fear that it could be an intermitent bad earth or short ect .. that cause it! ... ??? or could i have just had bad luck ... and got an ECU that was near the end of its life ... :( what i will say is .. when the ecu light came on & rev were limited to 2500 revs ... it was fine before when i parked it! & turned engine off .. came back at end of night & ECU light came on immediately ect! .... hope this make it a bit clearer .... :)

Last edited:
You didn't answer the bit about the glow plug relay ? I still don't understand how the Tech new that the ECU was damaged by a surge ? If the ecu is blown to bits by input power sourse then i think no readings will be given so other than take it apart how can you tell ? Also i am not very sure about this but if the ecu is blown by power surge or otherwise will the car run at all ? Even in safe mode ?
When you say ecu light do you mean the engine fault light ? Its near the middle of the dash lights ?

Sorry Danny! ... i don't have here right now .. but im pretty sure it the red one nearer to left of dash! im searching net for a vito manual ect.. if that helps .. the one with 3 letters.. i dont know the dashboard that well :( .. unfortunately my garage just want to get it back on the road as quick as possible .. so don't seem to bother testing possible other causes!! grrr ...kinda annoying but .. hes paying for it all so far ... so i cant really pester him too much! .. before the glow plug relay light wouldn't stay on all the time but would intermitently come on & stay on for a while then go off ect ect the glow plug relay was replaced ... after it was replaced it stayed off! as it should! .. im not sure how they knew the ecu was blown to bits ... he has not said.. they never go into the details ... very annoying ... arghhh .. i will try to find out more! ...

I found a few wires corroded and broken under the front door sills beneath the plastic step trims. Not sure what they were but fuses blew alot when i bought it first. The third lamp from the left says EDC i think thats electronic diesel control. When i ran out diesel recently that light came on i guess when the injector rail pressure dropped. Still no reason for blowing an ecu

Yes Danny .. that`s what i mean by ecu ... EDC that's the lights thats always come on.. when ive had various problems in the past as mentioned at the very top of this post!

Thanks for your words so far ... oh well .. i guess i will have to wait & see ... i will let you know how it ends up! ..

Could your battery be loose ? and shorting of the seat frame, the pos is very close to the side. A bounce or two could cause a blown ecu maybe

I dont think so .. i dont understand .. how it could have been perfectly ok when .. left parked! & later came back & as soon as i started engine .. EDC light came on & van was limited to 2500 revs ect ... ? ... i find it worrying and confusing .. i guess as it was a second hand ECU ... then i could just have bad luck! ? lol i mean its been tested out .. all wiring checked for signs of fraying .. shorts .. bad earths ect ... so if i was an intermitent fault ! .. what would cause that ? .. at the moment i live in hope! .. that i just had bad luck with an ECU that was on the way towards the end of its life? ?? oh well .. sigh! ... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom