Vito 113 blown head gasket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colleoni

Car
Vito 113 Flexivan
Does any one know if overfilling oil can cause the head gasket to blow as a mechanic in Australia stupidly put two litres to much oil in in witch our local mercedes service centre drained and refilled the oil for free!. since the service our vito with 83000k on the clock that was running fantastic is now cutting out is having trouble starting and is out of tune and blowing black smoke. If any one can give me an idea on what could be going on send me your infomation

All I can think of is that the excess oil went up the breather and onto the MAF

Black smoke is normally over fueling

Difficult to answer as its hypothetical

Unlikely that overfilling with oil will blow the head gasket. It can cause lots of other problems tho. If I recall correctly the 113 is a 2 litre petrol engined van and is a discontinued model now. Over filling with oil can cause oil to migrate to places it shouldn't be and block crankcase breathers etc. My guess is that oil has got into the inlet manifold via the crankcase breather pipework and contaminated your MAF sensor. First thing to do is to examine the inlet system for oil contamination. You will probably need a new MAF sensor. the back smoke may be because the engine is running too rich. You should go back to your mercedes agent and try to get them to repair this FOC since its probably their fault. It might help to take some digital photos of the interior of the contaminated inlet as evidence for the future. Thats my best guess for what its worth.
not sure why this is in the feedback and testing section tho.

edit:- beat me to it Malcolm.;)

Last edited:
its amazing what infomation people can give that is ofgreat help and the local mechanic just looks at your Mercedes Benz and you can see the dollar sighns ticking over as he adds up all the differant things to charge for

Its very important if they do replace the MAF sensor that they clean out all oil from the associated inlet / crankcase breather pipework/ air filter or it will just re-contaminate the new MAF unit. You must insist on this. Hope your MB service centre is sympathetic to your problem.

option to look at

I have been told by a mechanic all that may be needed for the head gasket is for the engine head to be loosened and re set as some mercedes have a problem of becoming loose on on section causing a gasket to leak when it is not in fact that the gasket has blown. Has anyone heard of this problem ?

I have been told by a mechanic all that may be needed for the head gasket is for the engine head to be loosened and re set as some mercedes have a problem of becoming loose on on section causing a gasket to leak when it is not in fact that the gasket has blown. Has anyone heard of this problem ?

Sometimes gasket problems can be sorted by retorquing the cylinder head bolts but its a hit and miss procedure at best. Unless its an Official MB RECOMMENDATION ( in writing! ) I would be very sceptical. What about the MAF oil contamination? Overfilling with oil would not cause the CHG to blow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom