Vito 115cdi engine rattle when up to temp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonnerefc

Car
Mercedes Vito 115CDI
Hi, does anybody have any idea what this noise could be, its a 2007 vito 115cdi 143k miles always serviced regularly, had this rattle since I bought it on 100k miles, but need to get to the bottom of it now. It does happen on cold startup only when engine is up to temp and also noise dissapears when you accelerate. Any help would be appreciated the noise sounds like its coming from front end of engine the link to the video is below
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks Ashley

difficult to hear the rattle over the diesel noise, faulty injectors can cause excess diesel knock, or possibly timing chain adjuster or guides.

Cheers, I've looked around the injectors and they all look okay, would a noisy chain adjuster or guide rattle on a cold start aswell?

I couldn't hear anything other than normal diesel engine sound. But that's not to say its not there, but on the other hand if you have done 43K miles like that it cant be an issue really. Mercedes diesels are not the most refined, my mo651 rattles from various places, most of it is the plastic parts rattling away.

It is hard to tell from video, the engine sounds smooth on startup, it only starts happening as the temp of engine warms up

To be honest both my Vito and Viano and my old Vito 115cdi both rattled more when cold but that was diesel knock as I believe the injection is advanced for a few seconds and yes I would expect if it were the chain that it would rattle more when cold but it depends what the issue is, if its the tensioner it may be failing when the oil is hotter

Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of it?
Had an annoying rattle on mine and found it to be the Alternator pulley.

My rattle wasn’t noticeable whilst driving only whilst stationary, if I pressed the accelerator a fraction it disappeared, changed the serpentine belt, pulleys and water pump first only to find the alternator pulley was the cause, easy enough job once the alternator was removed 👍🏻

Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of it?
Had an annoying rattle on mine and found it to be the Alternator pulley.

My rattle wasn’t noticeable whilst driving only whilst stationary, if I pressed the accelerator a fraction it disappeared, changed the serpentine belt, pulleys and water pump first only to find the alternator pulley was the cause, easy enough job once the alternator was removed 👍🏻
Cheers mate, we though it was that at first so replaced with the alternator, but noise still there, its defo coming from around the front of engine block, might try water pump next

Cheers mate, we though it was that at first so replaced with the alternator, but noise still there, its defo coming from around the front of engine block, might try water pump next
Yeah I thought mine was a pulley so replaced all those and the water pump only to find it was the alternator pulley.

I take it you put a new pulley on not a second hand alternator and pulley?

I replaced mine with an Electrical Overrunning Clutch Alternator Pulley, there where cheaper ones out there but I don’t put cheap rubbish on my Vito. 😊

I’d just whizz off the belt, you should be able to feel a duff pulley. Certainly sounds like the symptoms I had.
Good luck 🤞🏻

No mate I replaced it with a whole new alternator, ill let u know if I get anywhere with the other pulleys thanks Ash

still not got to the bottom of this all pulleys changed, injectors fine. just have to live with it i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom