Vito 120 Sport X spare tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gilps

Car
Vito 120 Sport X
Hi

This is my first post on here so hello.

I've just purchased a 2008 Vito 120 Sport X. I have the 18" Brabus wheels fitted but no spare. The manual is very unclear as to whether I should have a spare. There is a plug in compressor but no tyre sealant so I'm guessing it was supplied without one. I'm happy to carry a spare wheel on board or underslung at the back (I can't see any way of fitting it underslung though). Can anyone tell me if they have sourced a spare wheel and what type. I don't plan on carrying a spare Brabus alloy so I'm guessing a steel spare would so it.

Thanks, Paul

I guess you have a compact....short wheel Base.

No spare was supplied. There is not enough room underneath on a compact, you'll be surprised how much space it takes up in the back!! Just buy a spare steel wheels and tyre....just be aware that most if the ones in eBay are stolen.

Doesn't have to be Compact. I've got Long and my one doesn't have the winch for the spare wheel. But that must be SportX thing as all of the previous ones had under mounted spare (Long as well).

Mine is the long. The handbook shows a hole to insert a winding tool through to lower the wheel housing and there is no hole on mine.

I know about the stolen wheels. I had mine nicked off my old Sprinter. I used to keep the replacement spare inside the van after that.

Your handbook (same as mine) it's just generic manual for all models. There should be pump and foam/adhesive/glue (sorry, I've never use one , just guessing). I don't even have jack or wheel spaner.

I don't have the sealant. I'll have a word with the dealer to see what they recommend. I used a product called Slime on my motorbike a few years which worked well. It's probably the same stuff.

However I would like to carry a full sized spare but don't fancy blowing £800 on a Brabus. Does anyone know of an alternative I could use even if only for a short trip to the tyre shop. Could I use a 17" or even a 16" from another model.

As mentioned Long and Extra Long Vitos normally have an under-slung carrier behind the back axle with a 16" steel spare. But AFAIK none of the Sport-X ones come with this, even though they would have been delivered from the factory with it (they were built as standard 120/122 models and the Brabus bits added in the UK).

The only reason I can think of for removing the standard spare is that the rolling radius of the Brabus wheel/tyre combo is different, so fitting the spare would potentially give problems with ESP etc. (because you'd have wheels on the same axle turning at different speeds).

Obviously any W639 Vito or Viano wheel (steel or alloy) will physically fit, and will have the right load rating.

Both our sport x came with spares

16" steel
Mark

Yup that's what a 120/122 would have left the factory with unless it was a Dualiner Compact with the Comfort Pack (interior panelling, rear speakers, etc.).

Two of my friends bought new Sport-X Longs though and neither of those had a spare. Perhaps someone at M-B UK had a sideline selling them off ;) :D

Both ours were long, both have spare wheels on underslung carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom