Vito 120Cdi 3.0L V6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Van Vitesse

Car
Vito ELWB 120CDi V6 3.0L + Audi A4 1.9Tdi Avant 130se + VW Golf 5dr GTTDi 150PDi
Having problems with my 120.

Been in to workshop numerous times for erratic gearchanges, power surging at low revs, and now the transmission seems be getting even worse. The van just seems not to be able to put the power through properly.

It is almost as if the transmission is holding back the engine. Weird!!

My dealer is being as helpful as they can. They are having problems with this vehicle with numerous customers but the factory sems reluctant to help.

One tech seem convienced it is software, another insists the Auto Box needs repalcing.

My question is can anyone offer advise on what the problem may be.

The EGR valve has been replaced, the O2 sensor (Lambda) has been repalced. The particulate filter has been regenerated a few times and a leaking seal on the Turbo inlet has been replaced.

None has fixed the gear change fault and its getting worse. Sometimes just revs and then a very loud bang is herd (mechanical) and the van lerches forward (As if clutch has been dumped in a manual).

Getting stressed now, fell like backing it to dealer. :(

Hmm ... I'm supposed to be getting my 120 today, after waiting over 5 months for it.

There's another member here who has one, and I know a couple of other people who have them. Only problems I've heard of from any of them so far are a leaking PAS pump and a failed alternator. They all love their 120s.

The 5 speed gearbox has been around for many, many years and the V6 CDi is widely used throughout the Merc range. So there shouldn't be a fundamental problem.

How long have you had the van? Sounds like you should maybe be rejecting it as not fit for purpose (or at least threatening to).

has the vito got a 3.0 lv6?

Yes, the Vito 120 has the same 3.0 V6 CDi that's used in numerous "280" and "320" Merc. cars.

That's why it goes like the clappers (for a van), 0-60 in 8.0 secs.

Last edited:
The two faults could well be linked as any poawer output fault will also affect the gearbox ECU.

It could be the valve chest or electronic plate in the gearbox or something as simple as the MAF causing spurious power output information.
The symptoms sound like when a MAF is failing.

That van should be given Sabeen (think thats right)

It would waste that Tranny van time round the ring....

:)

The 120 has problems! I picked up mine in June and have covered only 8250 unhappy miles. It has been back to the dealer every 1000 miles from new and I'm sick of it! The surging that is being described has nothing to do with the gearbox. The engine is not putting out enough power and the gearbox changes erratically as a result. My van has had an expert from Milton Keynes (head office) looking at it. They have all agreed that there is an imbalance in the air flow and the air mass meter and engine management over-compensates by putting in more diesel. THIS IS WHAT IS MESSING UP THE EGR VALVE and the engine cannot breathe. Mine is on it's 4th EGR valve now and runs lovely - every time it's replaced! Needless to say I think it is going to take Mercedes forever to get this right and recall them all - therefore mine is going back for good. Sad, because it is a lovely drive. Mercedes need to sort this out now.
PS sorry to upset any recent purchasers!!

It sounds like they keep fixing the effect of the problem not the cause. The cause is either the ECU or MAF causing too much fuel to be injected.

I can't see why they should have difficulty fixing this..

Bizarre because the 120 has been out for over 12 months now. I know someone who's had his since last year, and as far as I know it's been fine. Fingers firmly crossed for mine ...which is up to 250 miles now!

FWIW I've just checked with a friend of mine - his Vito 120 is over 11,000 miles now with no problems whatsoever. The other guy has had his since last year; when I last spoke to him a couple of months ago the only problem had been a leaking PAS pump which was replaced under warranty.

OK Here goes..... bare with me as not that techi on Auto Transmission.

Firstly, thank you for all your replys. I thought it ws a conspiracy against me and felt quite lonley fighting the dealer.

My 120 has been been in workshop for 3 days. Another new O2 sensor and a wiring mod to engine loom (This may have been a precautionary but was worn through any way).

Was assured that van running much better now so went in and road tested before handing back keys of loan vehicle. Guess what......

Surge, slurp, slip and so on. Got service manager out onto forcourt and explained that the van has been in a dozen time since Feb when I took delivery.

When new, the van wsas a pleasure to drive. Smooth take off, slick changes and very VERY punchy.

All changed about 8K miles (Now on 20K). Explained that I am very dissapointed and feel that dealer is not getting the back up that expect him to get from either the factory and/or MBUK.

With that he got the techician on the phone to a Guy from MBUK and guess what... (and this is unofficial I think, but what the hell) ... Mb know of the problem.

An intermediate fix is coming out soon, before end of year. Its software related and will reduce power output by about a FITH!!! (40hp) but make everything smoother.

Then he guessed a hardware and further software version will be out in the new year. This will put van to the initial output and resolve the issues, which is cokeing up of some componants due to EU4 emmission regulations, air flow issues and something else I can't remember.

I do not know what the hardware upgrade is but I am waitng for all this to be put into writing to me. Van was about to be left at site and rejected, however I can wait a few months if a fix is on its way.

Up until now I have just wasted 10's of hours of my local tech's time and my own time.

I still lack confidence in the van but will keep you posted. Tech has been great to be honest but his hands seem tied.

Stunning van though. Dont be put off just yet. I know all the thechnolgy under the bonnet is from other vehicles but it seems to choke its self up in the van environment.

Perhaps I should jsut give it to Brabus and tell them Stuff the emmissions, just make it faster and more reliable. Been told its good for 270HP on Software upgrade alone!

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

That might explain why some vans are OK, if they're driven relatively gently (i.e. not using that last 40 bhp very often).

Still don't understand why there's a problem with this engine in the 120 but not in (say) the ML ... which is a heavier vehicle.

Weight may be an issue here as well to be honest. I run fairly well loaded most of the time where as others may have a light or varying payload. I had the weight upgrade to 2990Kgs to compensate for my Tools and stock that would always be in the vehicle.

I dont know how that compares to the ML or C320 etc?

Differant exhaust, Differant Induction system and a MUCH smaller engine bay. Latent heat soak maybe??? Just clutching at straws here really.

What I dont understand is my 120 was perfect when new then it 'went off' about 5K miles. Tech has reset Engine and transmission adaptations so it should have been as from the factory in therory. With new O2 sensor and EGR valve that were both coked you would think it would be as when I got it, but NO it is NOT. Maybe something underlying causing the whole thing.

I still think Tourqe Converter slipping though and have asked if dealer would drop down G/Box sump to check Magnet and filter in the sump. If TC has failled in someway to cause this fault then there would be evidence there. Waiting to see what happend there but not holding breath!

Well I just heard fom my friends with the 11k miles 120, about an hour after telling me yesterday there had been no problems whatsoever it sufferered a severe loss of power and the engine wouldn't rev over 3k rpm. No faults displayed.

Seemed OK after turning off and back on, but they've booked it in to the dealership to be looked at.

Oh dear.... I have never had any faults displayed on mine either. Same old, Same old.

MB had better do somthing soon because if sombody goes public with this to the media I dont think they will ever sell another 120 in the UK again!

Has anybody noticed that ONLY the Vito Sport has been heavily advertised (The 115). The Vito Sport X (The 120) has been very much concealed which is a shame as it should be the flagship Light Panel Van.

All I seem to see is the Vito Sport in Mags etc. I think they have pulled the plug on the 120 until sorted.

Still shown on MB website.

I doubt MB would stop production for this issue, they have allowed much bigger and costlier issues to run with other models.

Seriously, could sombody advise me of my legal rights and how to go about Formally getting the problem sorted Or a replacment vehicle OR Compensation/Refund?

I have gone past the stage now where I am prepared to tollerate the fault but I do really like the van when it operates properly.

Would I get a solicitor invloved if I want to 'back' the vehicle or is it a simple as Parking it at dealer with keys, letter and invoice... Me thinks not :)

Take the thing back buddy...! I've been offered a full refund on mine after sticking a few F's into head office in Milton Keynes (0080017777777) Merc are aware of the problem & do have red faces. The dealers are getting no back up from merc. Push harder they will give in..!
I will be getting another when the problem is sorted. (for the same price..!)
p.s Not reving over 3000rpm is the first sign of trouble, just wait for the big double barreled bang in the exhaust puff of carbon then you'll be off down the road again...! (to the dealer)...!
Sorry Chaps..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom