vito 122 sport x or vw sportline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You're right as I have not considered a Mercedes van due to the high initial cost of purchasing one, but it pays to have an open mind when making a a big purchase. So in the original posters position I'd be getting every bit of feed-back from people who run vans on a day to day basis.

There is no Renault Traffic equivalent to a 224 bhp V6 Vito.

BTB 500 said:
There is no Renault Traffic equivalent to a 224 bhp V6 Vito.

Or a remapped one with those strangulating emissions deleted.

Assuming you bought the van for commercial operations I'd have thought 40+ mpg was more important than BHP. If you buy it as an individual for personal use I guess that's a completely different scenario

When having my MOT the other day there was a 57 plate Vauxhall heap with a scrap engine because of an injector fault! they could not get them out, inc main dealers so new engine at almost 5k, this is very common the guy was saying, it hand had 2 gear boxes and drive shafts and was falling apart, considered a heap of french rubbish!

As for the question, 122 all day no question, just spec it right.
VW is built nice and has great panel gaps but the dash is gross and front wheel drive.

Assuming you bought the van for commercial operations I'd have thought 40+ mpg was more important than BHP. If you buy it as an individual for personal use I guess that's a completely different scenario

For sure. But anyone looking at a 3 litre V6 Vito with over 220 bhp (what this thread is about) probably isn't going to go for a 1.9 litre 4-cyl with 115 bhp instead.

There are obviously lower powered (and more economical) Vito versions, which the Vauxhall/Renault/etc. vans are more comparable with.

BIRMA said:

Our vans are commercial use, service vehicles. They are highly spec 120's. Stop start journeys and long runs. Run around fully loaded all day @ 3000kgs. HP is king. Economy is irrelevant.

Engineers love them and beleive me there isn't much else important that happy engineers.

Van Vitesse, may I ask who did the remap etc with dpf ,egr, asr removal please, thanks Daz

hi all
going to buy a new van thinking sport x or vw sportline any thoughts many thanks

The Sport X is an excellent replacement for a family car, I would say. Very comfortable, all the toys you realistically 'need' plus lots of space. I know two business users who have them as company 'cars'.

I am totally biased, of course, having a Sport Dualiner with a six year warranty and service plan to match from new………..still a lot less than the 'base' manual VW.

It is much more refined than the VW to drive, has a much nicer cabin and the engine/auto gearbox combination is superb. The Vito, however, doesn't seem to have the following of VW or the same availability of aftermarket customisation.

Test drive them both and see what suits you; both VW and MB offered me an extended (Mon-Fri or weekend) test drive.

I love my Vito 120 Sport Dualiner. I think I've been unlucky with the tailgate corrosion but apart from that, all it has had is a new pressure sensor and a broken rear spring. Not bad for 25,000 miles of motoring.

A well looked after used 120 can be excellent value for money. Mine is stock 204bhp and for a van, it's very quick if needs be.

Any closer to deciding which to buy?

250,000 miles now!!! I recon my 120 is the hardest worked 120 in the country!
Wouldn't change it for ANYthing especially a SLOW Sportliner!

So far from 2008 until now in Vitos 150 sports and now 122 sports I have covered over half a million miles (587,000) ... In all that time apart from normal service wear items... I have had 1 steering rack replaced & 1 passenger window mechanism fail... And the Vitos have never failed to get me to a job in the uk or Europe !
Before that I used ford transits and I very much doubt they would have covered the miles without falling to bits and provided the comfort level the Merc provides.
Yes the V6-122 can be a little thirsty beast if your heavy on the loud peddle ... But for me, no other van comes close, and I have been give VW sport-lines to use... The Merc drives like a decent car, the others due to there bolt upright driving position definitely feel like vans of old .... Only my 2p worth. :thumb:

Just recently my mates VW Sportline blew up!! lol After all the leg pulling between us, it seems his engine decided to eat the camshafts and basically wrecking the top half of his engine. Leaving him with redundant van & a bill for an engine rebuild.

Transit, Vauxhall, Nissan, Toyota

Really, save your dough and get something sensible.

Vito or Sportline will just be a headache.

Owning 638 122cdi ,639 113cdi and now 447 I don't know where you find a headache owning 1 if you talking about vw you maybe right...

If it's a business tool, just get a Transit.

If ford did an Auto tranny I'd have bought it over the W447 in the blink of an eye.

The Vito drives nice but no where near as practical as the Tranist Custom. :(

And now I've heard Ford are bringing an Auto out next year. :wallbash:

If ford did an Auto tranny I'd have bought it over the W447 in the blink of an eye.

The Vito drives nice but no where near as practical as the Tranist Custom. :(

And now I've heard Ford are bringing an Auto out next year. :wallbash:

The fleet I look after in 2 months 2 transits had its engines blown to bits...
Don't know what you mean by practicality the Vito is the only van coming with 2 sliding doors as standard...

The fleet I look after in 2 months 2 transits had its engines blown to bits...
Don't know what you mean by practicality the Vito is the only van coming with 2 sliding doors as standard...

I can only go by my personal experience Bruno. I've had 3 transits from new and never had any issues with either of them.

Practicalities:

1) Ignition key to the left of the steering column? :doh: impossible to put the key in without getting into the van.

2) Cigarette lighter 4" from the floor? :doh:

3) Cup holders so small that you can't find a cup to fit in them? :doh:

4) a glovebox that you can't store much in because of poor design? :doh:

5) black trim all over (mainly on the door cards) that shows up every Mark & scratch? :doh:

6) no storage solutions compared to trannys? :doh:

7) uncomfortable seats? :doh:

8) No lids for document areas on dash (x3) meaning that everything you put there reflects onto windscreen?:doh:

9) a parking brake that sounds like somethings broken when you release it? :doh:

10) no internal adjustment for wing mirrors? :doh:

it's great to drive but the above issues are why Ford vans are so well regarded. Add to that to amount of standard toys you get with a Transit Limited compared to the options you have to buy on the Vito!!!

I really wish I'd have known that ford planned an auto for next year.

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom