Vito 2003 108cdi turbo needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VitoAlex21

Car
Vito w638 108cdi 2003
Hi guys,

New to forums and vitos so please go easy on me for silly mistakes. Plus this is a long read 😝

I have a W638 Vito van 108cdi that I got in a car swap last year involving my old BMW E90, with cash coming my way. I think I had a decent deal, van flew through its MOT a few weeks after I had it. Plus I was homeless at this time so though a van would be more comfy than the BMW if I could convert it on the cheap.

To get some money I started to do some fast food delivery work in the Vito and honestly it was amazing, btw Vito had around 93k on it when I bought it.

I was doing this 3/4 times a week for a good 6 months.

Then I started to notice fuel was rapidly running out and was getting hard to start in the mornings. After a few days of running the van I could start to smell some burning oil in the cab and was getting black smoke on hard acceleration (up hills) A couple days after that the oil light came on, as there was no history with the van I though maybe it was due a service. Topped up the oil and booked it in for a service the following week.

I drove about 10 miles after this and the oil light came back on. So I got it back to a friend's house and put it up on some drive on wraps to notice there was a severe leak which seamed to be originating from the oil return pipe from the turbo.

Would this be a new pipe or turbo or both?

Obviously I've explained my living situation with cashflow being low and no means to earn due to the van off the road.
H
i can't really afford the both, maybe a turbo from a breakers or a pipe from mb normally I would just replace both if I had the money.

before I spend that money is there anything I can do or anything else that could cause the leak?

ohh and ps, the hex nuts on the oil return pipe are rounded from what I assume is where someone has replaced/repaired the turbo previously so I would be taking the turbo off to extract these and replace for the future.

sorry for the post. I just hope someone can help. I'll try put some pictures up of the leak
Alex

If you're sure it's the return pipe it could well be cured with new seals at the pipe ends.
Expect to snap old rusty bolts on removal if the turbo needs be loosened.

If you're sure it's the return pipe it could well be cured with new seals at the pipe ends.
Expect to snap old rusty bolts on removal if the turbo needs be loosened.
Would it be the seals at the pipe end if it's losing about a liter a mile?

More likely than the turbo cartridge seals.
With that amount spitting out it should be easy to source the escape with the engine on tickover for a few seconds. Clean the area well and get under with a torch, and some goggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom