Vito 638 with 2 batteries?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phez

Car
Vito
Hi all,
New to mbclub as wanted to ask a question that is probably really simple to solve and make me look stupid! :mad:

Can anyone tell me why there is a battery under the passenger seat on my Vito 638 but also a battery under the drivers seat too?

Many thanks and look forward to your replies :thumb:

Second battery was an option on the later W639 Vito, so quite possibly it was on the W638 as well. The other option was an uprated (bigger) single battery.

Thanks Dog68 & BTB 500.
Not sure about the leisure battery though as is it a standard ex works van from Cornwall Council so wouldn't need one? I thought it may have been for cold starting or something.
The battery under the drivers seat is connected to something but I can't find out what as the neg & pos leads go into the floor pan?

I think I will check it out and if it is independent from the main battery (under the passenger bench) I will probably take it out as I want to put capt seats in.

If anyone hears of any seats going please let me know.

Yup the factory second battery option is just to add extra capacity, if a van is likely to be used for lots of short stop/start trips or extra (non standard) electrical equipment is fitted. I think it came with an uprated alternator too.

If anyone hears of any seats going please let me know.

If you are on Facebook, worth watching/joining the Groups, Mercedes-Benz Vito and Mercedes Vito Buy and Sell as they (and lots of parts) crop up regularly…there is quite a big modifying community out there whilst those on the forum tend to be into upgrades in the main.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom