Vito 639 Gearbox repair.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StMarks

MB Enthusiast
Car
Vito 639 & Daytona 675
Vito 639 Gearbox repair advice wanted.

Hi guys, I am looking for some advice please.

I have a 2007 Vito which I love (galvanised, so none of the tin-worm issues my previous 638 suffered from).

However it does have one major problem; It jumps out of first gear.

I need to sort this, and am planning on removing the gearbox & stripping it down, in an attempt to correct this.

Can anyone offer any hints, suggestions or other advice that may assist me in this little project.?

Last edited:
It seems strange that no one on the forum feels knowledgeable enough to proffer any comments.
I believed there were some genuine Mercedes expert engineers on here.

Strange, and very disappointing. :(

Although there are quite a few of us vito owners on here, i feel that major gearbox works should be undertaken by someone who knows what they are doing and will also give you some kind of warranty on the work they do.

Good luck

Nick

Thanks for the reply Sparkydude.

.... major gearbox works should be undertaken by someone who knows what they are doing and will also give you some kind of warranty on the work they do....

I hear what you are saying, but where is the challenge in that.? ;)

true , we all like a challenge, but i am doubtful that theres anyone on here who has done it themselves.

Nick

Auto or manual?

:eek: Hi, sorry for the delay Mr BlackC55 I've been away & only just got back to the UK.

It is a 6 speed manual gearbox. Vin number is; WDF63960323353534 if that helps.?

From what I have learnt so far, the gearbox is a 716637 00 56842

Last edited:
I have not had one apart but will in the near future as my Vito crunches in 2nd. You can get full instructions in WIS (workshop information system). Do a google "service and parts.net" to find it.

Thanks BlackC55.

Actually I do have WIS on my computer.

However IMHO there is little better insite than having done the job.

Good luck with your 2nd gear mate.

I'll update this thread with pic's when I attempt the task, in case it is of assistance to others in future.

Hi StMarks

I havn't been on for a while,
but I started a thread a while back about my 12 plate 113 having a dodgy gearbox.
Admittedly it didn't slip out of gear, rather it wouldn't go into gear.
5th to 6th if your pushing would jam. Then as time went by, so would dropping to 2nd, if in a hurry.
Progressing to regular 1-2 and 5-6 issues, with mostly no reversing lights in reverse.

As I write its in euro commercials being checked before the warranty is up.

I spoke to a mechanic, and found a tech bulletin on WIS which refered to securing the shift cables from the stick to the box with cable ties. The mechanic said he had heard if said cables are wayward it'd give shift trouble maybe resulting in jumping out of gear.

When i get it back next week I'll interrogate them as to what the issue was.

Mind I'm not too hopeful, they've given me a lovely new 116 sport duel as a courtesy van, and its box, while not jamming is only slightly smoother (3000 miles on it)

I'm worried going forward there is something wrong that'll cost me later. My van has only 18k on it at 3 years old.

Any info I get I'll post

cheers

paul

Hi StMarks

I havn't been on for a while,
but I started a thread a while back about my 12 plate 113 having a dodgy gearbox.
Admittedly it didn't slip out of gear, rather it wouldn't go into gear.
5th to 6th if your pushing would jam. Then as time went by, so would dropping to 2nd, if in a hurry.
Progressing to regular 1-2 and 5-6 issues, with mostly no reversing lights in reverse.

As I write its in euro commercials being checked before the warranty is up.

I spoke to a mechanic, and found a tech bulletin on WIS which refered to securing the shift cables from the stick to the box with cable ties. The mechanic said he had heard if said cables are wayward it'd give shift trouble maybe resulting in jumping out of gear.

When i get it back next week I'll interrogate them as to what the issue was.

Mind I'm not too hopeful, they've given me a lovely new 116 sport duel as a courtesy van, and its box, while not jamming is only slightly smoother (3000 miles on it)

I'm worried going forward there is something wrong that'll cost me later. My van has only 18k on it at 3 years old.

Any info I get I'll post

cheers

paul

My van has only 18k on it at 3 years old.....
You lucky,,,,,, "chap".! :p

:thumb: Thanks for the advice Paul, I will be sure to have a look at the selector gearbox cables tomorrow mate, greatly appreciated.

Got my van back from the dealers.

Couldn't get to speak to the mechanics, just the reception.
They said they just adjusted the cables, I didn't hold much hope, not least since it drove better when I emptied it to send it in.

But did some miles now, and especially this morning when cold (when selecting first and second are worst) and its miles better!

Can't find it again on WIS, but I did initially stumble on an update advising to affix a couple of strategic cable ties to the shift cables, and the job card says thats what was done.

Got to be worth a bash before pulling the box.

good luck

Got my van back from the dealers.

Couldn't get to speak to the mechanics, just the reception.
They said they just adjusted the cables, I didn't hold much hope, not least since it drove better when I emptied it to send it in.

But did some miles now, and especially this morning when cold (when selecting first and second are worst) and its miles better!

Can't find it again on WIS, but I did initially stumble on an update advising to affix a couple of strategic cable ties to the shift cables, and the job card says thats what was done.

Got to be worth a bash before pulling the box.

good luck

Thanks a lot mate.
After your last post I had a crawl under there, and sure enough someone has attached a pair of (large) cable ties around the two cables where they leave the selector mounting bracket.
I've not found it in WIS though.:(

:confused: Well, I'm doing my best for my beloved little Vito.

Gearbox removed, and split.

For some reason I'm struggling to figure out the procedure for removing my mainshaft/countershaft/shift assembly from the rear housing.
I don't seem to be able to find the procedure detailed in WIS.?? :wallbash:

20150312_141438.jpg

I thought I'd post a little update.
I removed & split my gearbox, removed the selectors, main shaft & countershaft, & then carefully inspected the components.
I was unable to identify any obvious signs of serious degradation damage. I dismantled the main shaft & discovered some slight wear on the 1st gear synchro unit, although nothing that I would have expected to be able to cause the disturbing "popping out of first gear" symptom.
Nonetheless I decided to replace those items, rebuilt & re-installed the gearbox. (filling it with FE SAE 75W oil)

No improvement whatsoever.

:( Very disappointed.

Tomorrow I shall be removing it (again) & stripping it apart to try again.
However, at least we know what does not work to address this issue.

I have not had one apart but will in the near future as my Vito crunches in 2nd. You can get full instructions in WIS (workshop information system). Do a google "service and parts.net" to find it.
From a positive perspective, I now have a pair of perfectly operating synchro units surplus.

ID START by checking you cables first
Thanks for the suggestion, but I did mate.

Before I went anywhere near the gearbox I checked the operation of the lever (adjusting cables) & also the actuator mechanism on the outside of the gearbox.

If you remove the cables & operate the selector by hand it does not make any difference to the movement made by the selector (in fact the cables would move it further than they do, if it could move further).

Also the same movement is made to select 3rd & 5th, both of which engage perfectly.

Gearbox back out shortly.:wallbash:

:cool: Holy thread revival.!!!

Well, I can report that I have sorted this , & I believe that I have identified the issue for those who suffer the same problem.

I stripped the gearbox (again) & checked all the gears, shafts, synchro units & could not find any further wear that would prevent the selection of
first gear.

20150319_113851.jpg

20150319_113851.jpg

Until my attention turned to the actual internal selector assembly.

This cradles the gears, and is beautifully designed.

20150407_115039.jpg

20150407_115039.jpg

EXCEPT......: The actual bushes that interface with the gearbox selectors are only made of plastic, and as you can see they obviously wear.:

Selector%20wear.jpg
Selector%20wear.jpg

However they can be removed, so I removed them & went to visit my friendly Merc' dealership.

20150407_163252.jpg
20150407_163252.jpg

Those plastic parts (the only part to have any substantial wear in the entire gearbox) are not available from Mercedes.:wallbash:

I bit the bullet, & brought myself a new selector assembly complete.

Now fitted, and I have re-installed the gearbox, and it works beautifully. :bannana:

So, I hope this may be of assistance to any other owners with the same problem.

Credit must go to Steve Ball, who has an invaluable site & without which I would not have dared to have taken this task on.

His site can be found at; Mercedes Gen-In

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom