Vito 639 Gearbox repair.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Boy I wish I had your skills! Great job:thumb:

hi StMarks

Thanks for the info you shared on the manual box. I have been searching for info how fix it. I have the same box in my 115, I have so problems with it. Can you help me please.

Its noisy 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 6 . Only when gas is applied. Selecting first gear is easy and little grungy going into 2nd. Can it be the gearing in the box ? or prop shaft bearing ?
My concern is, no noise in 5. I will appreciate your help. I am from South Africa and help is limited. Sorry I cant pvt msg yet.

I only just spotted this thread so more than a bit late. If this is the NSG370 gearbox and I think it is then when MB were in bed with Chrysler this box was fitted in big numbers to Chrysler Jeeps. You'll find a fair bit of information on the box in a Jeep forum.

hi StMarks

Thanks for the info you shared on the manual box. I have been searching for info how fix it. I have the same box in my 115, I have so problems with it. Can you help me please.

Its noisy 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 6 . Only when gas is applied. Selecting first gear is easy and little grungy going into 2nd. Can it be the gearing in the box ? or prop shaft bearing ?
My concern is, no noise in 5. I will appreciate your help. I am from South Africa and help is limited. Sorry I cant pvt msg yet.

The 5th gear is the only one that drives direct through the mainshaft, not diverting through the secondary shaft.

So logic dictates that it is possibly the bearings that support the ends of that layshaft are causing the issue.?

I replaced the shaft support bearings whilst I had my own gearbox apart, and they were actually reasonably priced from Mercedes (well, compared to the other parts that I was buying anyway).

It occurs to me that the secondary shaft is below the mainshaft, so will be more immersed in the lubricant. Whist I would expect that this would increase the lifespan of it's support bearings, presumably it will also make them more susceptible to contamination within the oil.

Hope this is of some help, & good luck.!

Last edited:
:confused: Well, I'm doing my best for my beloved little Vito.

Gearbox removed, and split.

For some reason I'm struggling to figure out the procedure for removing my mainshaft/countershaft/shift assembly from the rear housing.
I don't seem to be able to find the procedure detailed in WIS.?? :wallbash:

20150312_141438.jpg

hi

I'm on the same stage :) can't figure out how to remove mainshaft/countershaft/shift, could you please give me an advice :)

Thanks

hi

I'm on the same stage :) can't figure out how to remove mainshaft/countershaft/shift, could you please give me an advice :)

Thanks

I used a very large three-legged puller, as the shaft is an interference fit. Take care to make sure that the legs do not damage the casing face, as they need to be perfect to seal correctly when you re-assemble it.

I used a very large three-legged puller, as the shaft is an interference fit. Take care to make sure that the legs do not damage the casing face, as they need to be perfect to seal correctly when you re-assemble it.

Finally did it, but without 3 legged puller.

I wonder if these bushes could be the reason for the 639 gearbox being so notchy and crunchy when cold? Ive had a few now and theyve been the same..

Thanks a lot mate.
After your last post I had a crawl under there, and sure enough someone has attached a pair of (large) cable ties around the two cables where they leave the selector mounting bracket.
I've not found it in WIS though.:(
Got my van back from the dealers.

Couldn't get to speak to the mechanics, just the reception.
They said they just adjusted the cables, I didn't hold much hope, not least since it drove better when I emptied it to send it in.

But did some miles now, and especially this morning when cold (when selecting first and second are worst) and its miles better!

Can't find it again on WIS, but I did initially stumble on an update advising to affix a couple of strategic cable ties to the shift cables, and the job card says thats what was done.

Got to be worth a bash before pulling the box.

good luck

Thanks a lot mate.
After your last post I had a crawl under there, and sure enough someone has attached a pair of (large) cable ties around the two cables where they leave the selector mounting bracket.
I've not found it in WIS though.:(

Can someone tell us all where and how these cable ties are fitted by Merc and pictures would be even better..!?

An old post i know but I've just bought a 2013 viano, 6 speed manual and I'm finding 1st to 2nd pretty notchy.... have to be really gentle and it goes in no probs, better once warmed up.... I have changed out the gearbox oil and found traces of tiny brass fileings on the magnet. Not excessive amount and maybe first change of oil in 120k so expected a bit but could this be the start of an issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom