Vito 639 Steering Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goldenball999

Car
Vito Dualiner W639 2014 116CDi
Hi all,

Got a Vito 639 2014 116 with only 48k on it.......but the steering has a strange feel coming through the wheel when turning, almost like squeaky rubbers/top mounts but i can't nail it down?! No leaks etc from the power steering system, all looks fine and is still fully powered, no resistance.

Wasn't sure if it was top mounts, would these give feedback through the chassis and steering wheel? Could it be anything else that I haven't thought of?

Any thoughts peeps? Has anyone else had this or similar?

TIA,

Jonny

Would low fluid level in the system give problems/feedback through the steering?

Yes, low fluid would give poor feel to the steering.

Jack up the front so the wheels are in the air. Break into the return line and drain to container. Then refill with Fresh fluid, bleed the system with the engine off by going lock to lock. Then start up and top up. There should be no bubbles in the fluid. At 48k it shouldn't need changed, but there's no harm. My indie advised changing as it was a common fault on Sprinters in particular whereby a knocking would develop, nothing was wrong underneath everything was tight and fine, changed the fluid - knock gone! Bizarre I know.. but worth a punt.

What about firing some WD40 at the strut tops to see if it goes away...

Can you take a video for us to see/hear?

Yes, low fluid would give poor feel to the steering.

Jack up the front so the wheels are in the air. Break into the return line and drain to container. Then refill with Fresh fluid, bleed the system with the engine off by going lock to lock. Then start up and top up. There should be no bubbles in the fluid. At 48k it shouldn't need changed, but there's no harm. My indie advised changing as it was a common fault on Sprinters in particular whereby a knocking would develop, nothing was wrong underneath everything was tight and fine, changed the fluid - knock gone! Bizarre I know.. but worth a punt.

What about firing some WD40 at the strut tops to see if it goes away...

Can you take a video for us to see/hear?

I spoke too soon...........parked up today to find fluid dripping off the n/s front wishbone forward mount! Can only be coming from the steering system and garage think it the rack leaking on to the boot and coming out when the boot is compressed; i.e. sharp turning when parking!

New rack = £192 plus fitting! Damn it!!

Where are you getting your rack mate, I may not be far behind you...

I've got an account at my local parts dealer, they look after me on prices too! Where in the country are you?

Needed a parts account, I used to own a T4 and then T5!! lol

Hi all,

Got a Vito 639 2014 116 with only 48k on it.......but the steering has a strange feel coming through the wheel when turning, almost like squeaky rubbers/top mounts but i can't nail it down?! No leaks etc from the power steering system, all looks fine and is still fully powered, no resistance.

Wasn't sure if it was top mounts, would these give feedback through the chassis and steering wheel? Could it be anything else that I haven't thought of?

Any thoughts peeps? Has anyone else had this or similar?

TIA,

Jonny

I had a similar issue when I just picked up my Traveliner started with the same strange feeling and no visible leaks to losing fluid slowly a few weeks later. Luckily I had 6m warranty from MB a I bought it approved used, ended up changing the steering rack as it had a slow leak and also a couple of hoses as they were also leaking. Local dealer billed it back to the dealer I bought it from at a little over £800+vat :eek:

Surprising for a low mileage 5yr old van I thought

I had a similar issue when I just picked up my Traveliner started with the same strange feeling and no visible leaks to losing fluid slowly a few weeks later. Luckily I had 6m warranty from MB a I bought it approved used, ended up changing the steering rack as it had a slow leak and also a couple of hoses as they were also leaking. Local dealer billed it back to the dealer I bought it from at a little over £800+vat :eek:

Surprising for a low mileage 5yr old van I thought

Well.......it was the rack. New rack fitted (new rod ends while it was in too) and the problem is cured, less then £450 all in! Money I would rather have spent on toys for the van and not repairs though! Disappointing when its on a 14 plate with only 48k on it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom