Vito 639 - what do You think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Doesn't look at all expensive to me.

The V6CDI is my daily drive. Refined motorway cruiser with plenty of poke if you need it.

Search the Vito 639 threads on MB Club. The other V6 owners I can recall are BTB500, Zenman and Sparkydude who will be able to offer plenty of advice.

Have a good look around the bodywork for things such as THIS.

I wouldn't put anyone off buying a 120, though. It's a great piece of kit. :cool:

sorry to say mine is just a meagre 115 , but still happy with it none the less.
The 120 commands a pretty high price normally , but there are bargains out ther you just have to keep looking . Good luck with your search and keep us posted :thumb:

Nick

We've had a 120 for nearly 5 years now and it's great.

You do need to be aware it's not the most economical van ... we average about 25 mpg, up to 30 on a long run. But it's fast, smooth, and refined. We use ours as a family car, with caging in the rear for our dogs and the kids in the middle.

639s had galvanised body panels from 2005 onwards, so a 2009 should be OK from the rust point of view. The vast majority are fine BUT do check carefully, particularly the tailgate (somebody told me recently that it's water getting in round the wiper shaft that can result in rust bubbles around the numberplate light?). Make sure the electric windows work properly as the regulators can fail (both of ours were replaced under warranty).

All 120s have a DPF which means (IMO) they are not really suited to low speed stop/start driving.

I would certainly have another one. Any questions, just ask!

As the other have said, great smooth powerful van, I love mine and would only change it for a new 122 vito.

If you're after the most powerful van in its class, then your only choice is a 120 CDi etc.

But if you don't fancy 25mpg and you want something that is very comfortable to drive, doesn't rust and holds its value really well, buy a Vivaro.

Hi all - I had a 2007 Vito 120 for nearly three years, amazing van and I thought that fuel consumption was acceptable averaging 27.2mpg.

I now have a New 116 Sport with auto. Have to say I barely notice the difference in general driving performance, it's still pretty quick if you gun it hard but it is fractionally lacking in the sheer low down grunt and pickup of the old 120 but as I said the difference is only really noticeable when you really want to get silly. On the plus side it never gives less than 30mpg and I have seen 38.something on some runs.

Cornwall to Windemere in 5 1/2 hours gave me 34mpg - which I think is amazing.

I have only done 5500 miles so this is likely to improve a bit.

My old van was a compact this one is the long and although the compact is prettier this one is way more practical.

Cruise control is excellent and I opted for Command on this one which I'm still getting to grips with.

Vitos are amazing and tbh at the moment I can't see me ever driving anything else.

I think all the 'facelift' versions give better fuel consumption. 27.2 is very good for a 120, ours is on about 23 over the last 5k or so miles but that does include towing the caravan (obviously never over 60 though ;)) and some unrestricted autobahn cruising in Germany!

I know loads of people with 639s. A friend who does big annual mileage (on business) is looking at getting a 116 shortly, which will be her 3rd 639 - current one is over 250k miles I think. Another friend is also on her 3rd 639, she went from a 115 to a 120 Sport X.

When I wasn't thinking about selling my old Vito,there was plenty to choose from.When I need it now - none!
Because of lack of lwb on the market,I've found this:

MB Mercedes Vito 120 cdi compact-One owner, low mileage and £1000's of extra's | eBay

Anyone knows if it's still available? Perhaps 'zenman63' would be familiar with the area...

Please help if anyone heard of 120 in good nick around 10k.I know is not much but that's what I'm aiming for.AROUND 10k(+?)... :)

I'm not personally keen on the Compact as there's no room for a spare wheel carrier behind the back axle. The one you linked to will only have a tyre repair kit; with more basic interior trim (i.e. no Comfort Pack) you get a spare wheel hung on a bracket in the back.

Actually that particular van is a weird spec., why have opening rear windows when there's no third row of seats?

PS just to be pedantic, the only 'lwb' Vito is the Extra Long. The Compact and Long are the same wheelbase.

Hello again.

This time it gets more serious.I've found the ONE and going to see it on wendesday.
Because of that I'm asking you guys for help.I've got general knowledge about 2.2 Vitos but what should I be looking for regards 120?
Let me start with my list of questions and you add any of yours.

Check bodywork for rust (including roof).

Rear springs (if they're "complete").

"Sweaty" turbo.

Any suspisious noises while test drive.

Electrics all around ( central loc etc.).

Any oil or other liquids leaks.

Oil cap inside.

I have no idea about V6 or auto gearbox so feel free to top up my list
Thanks.

Last edited:
So I've got it :bannana:
Vito 115 cdi auto 66k 07reg in blue'ish grey.
I saw few 120's but they were a bit to risky(one of them 62k and the engine on the way out,rattling like mad).
Then my one came across.NO RUST WHATSOEVER :)
The only thing that kills my eyes is...instrument cluster.I don't even want to get used to digital fuel gauge.Hate it.
Pictures to follow.

No rust? Are you sure it's a genuine Mercedes? :D

I can't add any pictures.Sorry guys :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom