Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But other makes of van stand the everyday knocks and scratches without going rusty...

It's not like rust is a new problem for Mercedes, yet they do nothing about it.

If the rust is outside-in, they do act.

My 210 didn't have FMBSH (just one missing at an indie) and at 6yrs I got 2, new front wings (and an unrequested new tailgate) F.O.C. It's how you tell 'em. ;)

I'll buy you lunch and bring one of my rust free Vauxhalls with me so you can see what proper vans are like:D

Not sure my gnashers would be up to eating a Vauxhall, but I'll give it a go. :p

If the rust is outside-in, they do act.

My 210 didn't have FMBSH (just one missing at an indie) and at 6yrs I got 2, new front wings (and an unrequested new tailgate) F.O.C. It's how you tell 'em. ;)

I take it there's no rust on your Omega?

My friend has just bought a Silver 2004 Vito 115 dual-liner with every option box ticked. It's even got genuine Brabus split rims....

I'll take some photos later and post them on this thread if you want Paul? It'll give you a good idea as to the sort of specification to look for.

And it's something else for Nick to take the piss out of....

My friend has just bought a Silver 2004 Vito 115 dual-liner with every option box ticked. It's even got genuine Brabus split rims....

I'll take some photos later and post them on this thread if you want Paul? It'll give you a good idea as to the sort of specification to look for.

04's are before they started using seawater to galvanise them.

You have to admit, as vans go they're not much good.

I take it there's no rust on your Omega?

After around 3 years rust occured underneath each door mirror under the rubber trim. Had it repaired by VX bodyshop which was hopeless. Gave the car back to them and they made a better (still not that good, though) job of it.

On the whole though it has been corrosion-free until around 18, months ago. N/S passenger door is quite rusty at the bottom and a rear arch is starting.. This is probably the result of it being left to stand for around 18, months though, so, guilty as charged your honour. :rolleyes:

Yes, thanks for that, Lee. :thumb:

Here you go mate.

That wheel arch is the only bit of rust on the van.

Last edited by a moderator:
04's are before they started using seawater to galvanise them.

You have to admit, as vans go they're not much good.

I think they cost more than they should, in reality.

The man my friend has just bought that Vito off has just replaced it with another top spec brand new Vito.
The cost? £42,000!!!!!!

The man my friend has just bought that Vito off has just replaced it with another top spec brand new Vito.
The cost? £42,000!!!!!!

42 grand for a Vito???

Looks like there's a bit of rust in the door appatures of that silver one too.

42 grand for a Vito???
He ticked every single optional extra possible, so I would think it's very possible.
My pal has just paid £5,300 to include 12 months tax for that Vito.

The seller was a farmer, which I'm led to believe is a hard profession to make money in.

The seller was a farmer, which I'm led to believe is a hard profession to make money in.

Sign form, recieve EU subsidy, sign another form, recieve another EU subsidy, pause to whinge how there's no money in farming these days, sign another form, recieve another EU subsidy, waste £42k on a rusty Spanish van, sign another form, recieve another EU subsidy................

The only people with easier lives are lock keepers....

Bearing in mind that silver Vito is ungalvanised it's looking pretty good after 7 years.

You can pay over £42k for a 639, before adding any extras at all - Viano 3.0 CDI Avantgarde Long. That's more than any new E Class apart from the E500. If the 639 was as bad as suggested the Viano would have been quietly dropped years ago.

To some extent I think that's true. But if you're talking about the 120 there's no competition out there really, in terms of power or refinement. We do a lot of motorway miles in ours ... 11 hours to the South of Germany, for example. Wouldn't want to try that in any other van I can think of (including the 4-cyl manual Vitos).

£42K and it doesn't do anything different to a £12K Transit.

Maybe it's just me, I simply look at a van as a piece of business machinery desgined to do a job.

If it's your daily driver as well (and you don't have a car) then I understand the splurge...but really £42K on a van.

Oh and how did 12 months road tax cost £5,300?

I think SP meant his friend paid £5300 for the secondhand Vito he posted up, including a year's road tax ;)

I think SP meant his friend paid £5300 for the secondhand Vito he posted up, including a year's road tax ;)

Ahh yes, that makes more sense. I know road tax has gone up but I thought 5 large was a bit steep for a year.

The only time it was cleaned was when he took it to Mercedes for a service as well.

The madness of MB ownership, "it's not as rusty as it could be", conversations that owners of 7 year old Transits or Vivaros simply don't have...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom