Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out of interest I was just looking at the Vauxhall Vivaro ... seems the most powerful version available now is only 117 bhp?

The madness of MB ownership, "it's not as rusty as it could be", conversations that owners of 7 year old Transits or Vivaros simply don't have...

Yeah, there is something perverse in the relationship that a lot of Mercedes owners have with rust.

I see loads of adverts "Rust not bad for year" and "Usual Mercedes rust" so on and so on.....

Out of interest I was just looking at the Vauxhall Vivaro ... seems the most powerful version available now is only 117 bhp?

It's all you really need for a medium sized panel van?

Whereas Transits just break down and don't rust. Much.

They do rust, but only when they're 8 or 9 ?

Rusty van league:

1 Mercedes Vito (start going rusty around 12 months)
2 Mercedes Sprinter (start going rusty around 12 months)
3 Ford Transit (start going rusty around 8-9 years)
4 LDV Convoy (start going rusty around 8-9 years)

LDV Maxus, Fiat Ducatos, Trafics/Vivaros, just don't seem to rust at all?

Transit Connects seem immune too.

It's all you really need for a medium sized panel van?
Not if you want to tow 1500 kg without being a rolling roadblock. Or if you want refined cruising at motorway/autobahn speed.

Not if you want to tow 1500 kg without being a rolling roadblock. Or if you want refined cruising at motorway/autobahn speed.

You can cruise as fast as you like in a Vivaro - so I've been lead to believe by the sort of people who drive all day at 90, six speed box, they just don't rev, even when you're flying.

LDV's don't rust as most of them never lasted long enough mechanically for the old tin worm to get a hold.

You have to "want" a van to pay £40 bananas for it.

They are just a box on wheels to move stuff in my mind.

Of course if I'm racing Ferrari's at the weekend I'd probably spring for a nicely fitted out one that I could sleep in.

For putting stuff in? I wouldn't buy a Vito again.

LDV's don't rust as most of them never lasted long enough mechanically for the old tin worm to get a hold.

Tdcis - same as a Transit, or VMs in the last ones, not bad vans, LDVs, durable if not especially glamorus...

Most go for export, no parts needed to swap them from RHD to LHD so quite sought after.

They do rust, but only when they're 8 or 9 ?

Rusty van league:

1 Mercedes Vito (start going rusty around 12 months)
2 Mercedes Sprinter (start going rusty around 12 months)
3 Ford Transit (start going rusty around 8-9 years)

In my experience, Transits start rusting around the three year old mark.

Good shout with the Maxus, you can pick them up for pennies at auction and they are a genuine good buy. The fact that I would buy one to keep for myself says it all really.

I've got to admit aswell that the Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar vans are the most car-like to drive, whereas the Vito can be very, shall we say, physically demanding to drive.

In my experience, Transits start rusting around the three year old mark.

Good shout with the Maxus, you can pick them up for pennies at auction and they are a genuine good buy. The fact that I would buy one to keep for myself says it all really.

I've got to admit aswell that the Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar vans are the most car-like to drive, whereas the Vito can be very, shall we say, physically demanding to drive.

You have a Maxus?

Or it's the one van you would have if you were going to have one?

If I only had a couple of grand to spend and I needed a clean, reliable and honest van, yes I would buy one.

Such a shame about LDV, I think that the bad press they kept getting from the British media killed them really.

If I only had a couple of grand to spend and I needed a clean, reliable and honest van, yes I would buy one.

Such a shame about LDV, I think that the bad press they kept getting from the British media killed them really.

Getting taken over by various private equity firms, and then Blair giving the contract for the Army Lorries (that LDV was going to assemble) to Germany killed them, along with the recession.

For the small sum needed to rescue them it appaling that the Chinese were able to come in and assetstrip/lift and shift the whole operation to China.

Birmingham's about finished these days, I really don't know how people in the Midlands make a living now there's no manufacturing left, they can't all work in Mcdonalds and Tescos?

the Vito can be very, shall we say, physically demanding to drive.
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about there :dk:

Mrs BTB loves driving ours, and as mentioned I do at least a couple of 11-hour runs in it every year without any problems at all.

You can cruise as fast as you like in a Vivaro - so I've been lead to believe by the sort of people who drive all day at 90, six speed box, they just don't rev, even when you're flying.

Does that just apply to white ones ;)

Sorry but 117 bhp and 290 Nm in a big draggy 2+ tonne vehicle is not a good recipe for refined motorway cruising.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about there :dk:

Mrs BTB loves driving ours, and as mentioned I do at least a couple of 11-hour runs in it every year without any problems at all.
Every single Vito that I've driven or had in has been a commercial vehicle in the purest sense. The gearbox is stiff beyond belief, 1st gear is very prone to the linkages being 'strained' and a bugger to get in, the N/S front window mechanism always seem to wear out too quick (it's a common fault; a metal cog in a plastic aperture:rolleyes:), the front suspension is prone to falling to bits, the CD players never seem to work, the side loading doors are always slightly out of kilter and need adjusting, I've replaced God knows how many SAM modules.....and let's not talk of oxidisation on the older models....

The Vivaro drives like a car; the gearbox isn't hardwork, the driving position is better than a Vito, the side loading doors never need adjusting and the only big thing that they all seem to have problems with is the life-span of the dual-mass fly-wheel. This also may sound hypocritical coming from a Mercedes owner such as myself, but the Vivaro is built in Britain!

Vauxhall Vivaro to be made in Luton | News | The Engineer

Just for the record, I've had circa 12 Vivaro/Trafics and 10 Vitos (2 of which were the 638)

To be fair to yours though, I would presume that you've owned it for near enough it's full life so it'll have been looked after as opposed to most other Vito's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every single Vito that I've driven or had in has been a commercial vehicle in the purest sense. The gearbox is stiff beyond belief, 1st gear is very prone to the linkages being 'strained' and a bugger to get in, the N/S front window mechanism always seem to wear out too quick (it's a common fault; a metal cog in a plastic aperture:rolleyes:), the front suspension is prone to falling to bits, the CD players never seem to work, the side loading doors are always slightly out of kilter and need adjusting, I've replaced God knows how many SAM modules.....and let's not talk of oxidisation on the older models....

The Vivaro drives like a car; the gearbox isn't hardwork, the driving position is better than a Vito, the side loading doors never need adjusting and the only big thing that they all seem to have problems with is the life-span of the dual-mass fly-wheel.

Have you tried a Vito 120 (subject of this thread) though? That's a 5-speed auto, so the gearbox comments wouldn't apply. Never had any problems with the driving position on ours either, even on the very long runs I mentioned. We do have the 'comfort' driver's seat though, with armrest and lumbar support - maybe that makes a difference.

I agree the window regulator seems to be a common problem - both of ours were replaced under warranty (although neither had actually failed). I'd like to think they've improved the part, but time will tell! Never suffered from any of the other issues you mention ... the tailgate did need to be realigned, but only after I forgot it was open while reversing up to the front of our garage :eek: so can't really blame M-B for that! Dealer did it FOC, by the way :thumb:

I'm glad that you've had a good experience with yours Bill, I think that I've gone slightly off topic...

Does that just apply to white ones ;)

Sorry but 117 bhp and 290 Nm in a big draggy 2+ tonne vehicle is not a good recipe for refined motorway cruising.

They fly, they six speed box means they don't rev much and they love the motorway, honestly.

And they drive so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom