Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I'm thinking of getting rid of my Sprinter van and opting for something smaller. This means I'll be able to reduce the number of vehicles I own, so out go my Omega and beautiful S210. :(

I've been weighing up the up the differences between the VW Transporter and the Mercedes Vito. In my opinion the VW is the more beautiful of the two and the 174hp diesel version attracts plenty of praise.

However, I've decided on spending up to around £15,000 on a used Vito.

It will be a 120 3.0V6 Diesel, Dualiner (5/6 seater) that I buy.

I do need answers to a few things I'm unsure of though. :)

Where there any significant changes in 2006/7/8/9 to any aspect of the Vito?

I've seen used Vito's listed as 120, 120 Sport, 120 Brabus Sport and 120 Brabus Sport X.
Is the Brabus package just "styling" until it becomes a Brabus Sport X? Also, are the Sport X models fitted with a Brabus performance chip?

I've read that the dual front passenger seat can be a little uncomfortable, but I'd rather be guided by members here than take what I've read elsewhere as a true guide.

I'm sure that I've read that earlier models have had rust issues, but would like your opinions on this matter please.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

The mpg is pitiful on the 120, but I suppose it's how you drive it. Low 20s are common in my experience.

If you don't need 3 seats in the front, I would go for the driver & one passenger seats. If you try and fit anyone in above 5'8" in the twin front, you'll struggle.

As far as I'm aware, the Brabus spec is just bodykit & wheels etc, although I stand to be corrected on that.

A bloke on the internet said that injectors for VW's are around £900 a pop. Could have been a Mercedes salesman! but worth checking out if your new steed is a keeper.

Hiya

The only change to the 639 Vito before the current facelift was the adoption of smaller door mirrors about 18 months ago.

All Vito 120s are mechanically identical. The Sport and Sport X (which has Brabus styling parts) are purely cosmetic special editions. I seem to remember (might be wrong) that you couldn't have Parktronic with the Brabus bumpers.

All 639s from around 2005 should be galvanised and carry a 12 year bodywork warranty.

As mentioned, the single front passenger seat is meant to be fine. If you have 3 seats in the front (like ours) they are not so good, having said that we drive to the South of Germany and back and my wife survives OK! I'm pretty sure the special editions (Sport & Sport X) were only available with a single front passenger seat btw.

We average about 25-26 mpg from ours, 30 mpg on a long run at 75 mph.

One thing to note - the 'Compact' Vito (shortest of the 3 lengths) doesn't have an under-slung spare wheel carrier as there isn't room behind the rear axle. So depending on the trim level you either have a spare wheel mounted inside the vehicle or none at all (puncture repair kit). The 'Long' is only very slightly bigger and is the one to go for IMHO. It's the same wheelbase as the Compact, just has a little extra length behind the rear wheels.

We've had our 120 for 4 years now and it's been great. Powerful, quiet, and smooth. Any questions just shout.

It may also have the inlet shut off motor seal problem common to all 3 litre V6 Mercedes. Its the same engine as my car, marginally detuned.

Very smooth and quiet, unlike the VW transporter, and they do shift.

Rust, well its a Mercedes.....

Incidentally if you plan on using the rear seats you should be aware that there are different versions. We have 'comfort' ones that all individually recline and have armrests on the outers. The rear seats are split into a 2-seat unit and a single ... we normally have the single removed. Legally you need a minimum of 2 seats in the back to qualify as a 'dual purpose vehicle', which is subject to normal car speed limits rather than the van ones (50 mph max. on single carriageway, and 60 mph on dual carriageway).

Take a look at my gallery pics if you haven't already:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/42096-btb-500s-vito-dualiner-long-120-cdi.html

Many thanks for the replies everyone. (BTB 500, I was hoping you'd see this thread.) ;) :thumb:

I have a 59 120 compact comfort dualiner, generally do local running around and get low 20's, on a run I get low 30's. But the smoothness and quietness makes up for the low mpg, oh and it does shift when needed. The single front seats with armrests are very confortable and we find it useful being able to walk between them to get into the back. Like Bill I have the comfort rear seats which are very versatile. When I ordered I started with a base 120 then spec it up with what I wanted, this worked out better value than buying a Sport X with all the blingy bits, and at the time I couldnt get a discount on the Sport X. Mine has the later smaller Viano style mirrors, which I colour coded. Good luck in your search for a 120, they are great to drive.

Would an ML give you enough cargo space with the seats folded?

Only a thought...............

The ML has a smaller load bay than the S210 mentioned in the OP. There is a bit more height in the ML, but then the floor is much higher off the ground ... which is a pain if you need to load anything heavy.

Would an ML give you enough cargo space with the seats folded?

Only a thought...............

Thanks, but there wouldn't be enough room in an ML.

I think if I did get a Vito it may well have to be the longest one and even then I'd be sacrificing quite a lot of space in relation to my present Sprinter (4.1 metre long load length).

I'm slightly concerned about the mpg figures for the 3.0V6, but I'm reasonably light-footed and I'll be saving over £400 a year alone, on road tax to compensate for the increased fuel cost.

I'm sure that I've read that earlier models have had rust issues, but would like your opinions on this matter please.

Note all the rusty late model Vitos and Sprinters you see as you drive around, and then ask yourself if you'd really like to spend £15k on possibly the most unreliable and badly built van on the market...

Reconsider the Transporter.

For once I agree with Nick. :)

When you see the plethora of crappy and rusty Vitos on the roads, it makes you wonder. It's simply embarrassing for a supposed quality marque.

I think I'd have a cheap Tranny van rather than a Vito. Having hired a few Trannies, Sprinters and Crafters recently, the Trannies returned by far the best fuel economy figures (who'd have thought it from Ford!), the Crafter gearbox linkage was truly terrible on two different examples (although the 5-pot engine was terrific), and the Sprinter was generally OK. Can't speak for the Vito, having never driven one, but again - look at all those mobile scrap heaps hobbling around. Wouldn't be seen dead in one...

Looks like I'll have to do a bit more homework and test-drive both vans.

Here's the opinion of that lovely lady from the Fifth Gear team.

[YOUTUBE]qCjv1IT2ITI[/YOUTUBE]

I remember Olly borrowing a VW Sportline to take his quadbike home and he was very impressed. I'm just a bit concerned that the interior may be substandard - the rear seats I've seen in classified adverts look very ordinary at best.

I don't see rusty 639 Vitos (or Vianos - they are physically identical), apart from the very early ungalvanised ones. There are huge numbers of 639 Vito Taxis in London now so I don't buy the 'most unreliable' story either I'm afraid.

I looked long and hard at the VW T5 before getting our Vito. At the time there was no contest if you wanted a powerful engine and automatic transmission - the 2.5 litre 5-cyl 174 bhp VW was only available as a manual. Now all their engines are just 1.9 litre 4-cyl, and the only auto box is the (in)famous DSG one - no thank you.

I also prefer the Vito's RWD to the VW's FWD.

Looks like I'll have to do a bit more homework and test-drive both vans.

£15k will buy you a new (well new pre-reg) Vauxhall van (with a 3 year warrenty) and an R129 SL500 to knock around in.

Big engined phat vans are all very well, but they use loads of diesel, have far more problems and nobody really notices what it is, a van's a van to 99.9% of people.

56 Plate Vito, note the rusty tailgate:

2006 Mercedes-Benz VITO Breaking for parts spares | eBay

04 Plate, rust all over the place:

2004 MERCEDES VITO 109 CDI LWB SPARES REPAIRS | eBay

Etc.

04 plate is as rusty as you'd expect any ungalvanised Merc. of that era to be.

56 plate should be galvanised, no idea why the rust spot on the tailgate but could have been fixed FOC under the 12 year warranty (unless caused by damage etc.).

As I said, 639 Vitos and Vianos are everywhere and - apart from the very early ones - rust is not an issue as far as I can see.

£15k will buy you a new (well new pre-reg) Vauxhall van (with a 3 year warrenty) and an R129 SL500 to knock around in.

Big engined phat vans are all very well, but they use loads of diesel, have far more problems and nobody really notices what it is, a van's a van to 99.9% of people.

Friend of mine has a 4 year old 2.5 Vivaro that now needs a new engine ...

A large part of the Vito 120's appeal is the refinement of the V6 rather than it being a particularly 'big' engine (it's only 800 cc more than the 4-pot versions). It all depends what you want the van for - nobody "notices" mine because it's de-badged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom