Vito dual battery wiring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danhar707

Car
Vito 639
Hi, went to fit a leisure battery to our 2012 vito dualiner and then found it already has an auxiliary 2nd battery under the drivers seat, plus a split charge relay thing that joins that batt to the alternator once engine is running. Yay.

Now, I want to figure out how to do the wiring...

I want the aux battery for camping situations and just need to power:
1. a couple of USB ports for phone charging
2. A 12v socket for a waeco fridge
3. A bunch of 12v LED spot lamps (ikea!) which are going in the headlining.
4. The headunit (upgraded the audio20 to an Alpine INEs900r, which I later found Merc offered as a top of the range media option from the factory, albeit with Alpine badge scrubbed out.

1-3 relatively easy - just need a small bus bar and fuse box, plus the panel thing I got off ebay which includes a voltmeter, usb ports and 12v socket.

Bit I dont't know how to do yet is how to rewire the stereo so that it is powered off the spare batt, but still ordinarily goes to sleep when I key off. I.e want it to turn off when I switch off the engine and remove the key, but still possible to turn it back on from the on button on the headunit, but drawing power from the aux battery instead off the main starter battery. Any ideas?

Meant to say: local merc commercial dealer confirmed the dual battery thing on my van was supplied new as a factory option. Seems previous owners BBC Manchester never used it, as the terminals looked untouched, so the batt has just been sat there kept in 100% state of charge for 5years!

Can't help on the re-wiring but yes 100 Ah ancillary battery was a factory option (E28). You don't see it very often - EE8 (uprated main battery) is a bit more common.

Update: confirmed it has the factory option -yay!
Now hooked up to a busbar/fusebix I mounted under drivers seat and using to power a fridge, some interior lights and usb ports.

Update: confirmed it has the factory option -yay!
Now hooked up to a busbar/fusebix I mounted under drivers seat and using to power a fridge, some interior lights and usb ports.
What's the update on this? How's it working? I'm just about to do exactly the same on a 2015/6 w447. Any help much appreciated as I'm concerned about running my limited (no fridge, just USBs & car audio incl subwoofer) needs off the auxiliary battery. Cheers

What's the update on this? How's it working? I'm just about to do exactly the same on a 2015/6 w447. Any help much appreciated as I'm concerned about running my limited (no fridge, just USBs & car audio incl subwoofer) needs off the auxiliary battery. Cheers
Hi did you do a battery upgrade? I have one 95AH battery under drivers seat and a small (like motorbike) battery behind it. should I swap small one for full size to run extras including an inverter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom