Vito Dualiner. PLG or commercial?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Riji64

Car
W639 2014 LWB
Hi, we have a newer 2014 Vito Dualiner to replace our 2006 one (eaten by rats) The old one was classed as a PLG the same as an estate car and was insured as such. The new one seems to be classed as commercial and no insurer will class it as private, only commercial. Have the UK laws changed? Has anyone found similar when buying newer? The government take on the Dualiner seems
to still class it as an estate car. I'm not sure which classification it falls into on the road, Ie speed limit, as a Vito van is restricted in the UK to 50 on normal roads versus 60 for a private car. Any thoughts?

I was re educated here.
Regardless of the N1 or M1 V5 class, it's dependant on if there are rear seats in, or not.

Seats in it's a car and can do 70 max,
seats out it becomes restricted to 60 max.

Sorry I've just noticed where you are.
I think commercial vehicles are restricted by how fast the horse can pull it nowadays.

Hi, we have a newer 2014 Vito Dualiner to replace our 2006 one (eaten by rats) The old one was classed as a PLG the same as an estate car and was insured as such. The new one seems to be classed as commercial and no insurer will class it as private, only commercial. Have the UK laws changed? Has anyone found similar when buying newer? The government take on the Dualiner seems
to still class it as an estate car. I'm not sure which classification it falls into on the road, Ie speed limit, as a Vito van is restricted in the UK to 50 on normal roads versus 60 for a private car. Any thoughts?

The taxation class shown on the V5 and your usage of the vehicle are entirely separate things. You can use any normal car commercially, and you can use a plain panel van solely for social, domestic & pleasure (many of my friends are dog trainers and a large majority insure their vans on that basis). The only issue is that some insurers can take a bit of convincing that you really won't be using a van commercially, in which case try other companies! AFAIK all Vito variants would have a V5 taxation class of 'Light Goods Vehicle', and I would expect a Viano / C Class to show 'Diesel Car' or 'Petrol Car'. It's possible your old one was wrongly registered (it happens), in which case you might have been paying too much road tax on it. My Dualiner originally had a body type of 'Panel Van' on the V5, which I got corrected to 'Van/Side Windows' by the DVLA.

As a totally separate thing the 'Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986' define what a 'Dual Purpose Vehicle' is - this is a set of specific physical requirements and nothing to do with the taxation class or how you're using it. If your Vito Dualiner meets these requirements then normal car speed limits apply to it rather than the lower 'van' ones on NSL single and dual carriageways - this is defined in the 'Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984'. The full definition of a DPV is here:

And the speed limits that apply:

The things to watch for are that the rear seats must "be lit on each side and at the rear by a window or windows of glass or other transparent material", so an unglazed tailgate would stop it being a DPV. You also need to be a little careful about the unladen weight, which can't exceed 2040 kg for a DPV. Most Dualiners will be OK here but it will depend a bit on length / roof height / engine / gearbox / factory options. The V6 auto (which mine has) is heavier than the 4-cyl engines (and came with aircon as standard), and I worked out that if I'd had the dual battery option it would potentially have gone over 2040 kg. MB will give you a weight for the options fitted.

I would expect a Viano / C Class to show 'Diesel Car' or 'Petrol Car'.

Oops that's a typo. - should read Viano / V Class!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom