Vito Engine - grey heavy smoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ToonTiger

Car
Mercedes Vito
I'm struggling with this one, If you can spare a moment. My Vito 2006 campervan is becoming tired, diesel engine 199k. Been contemplating engine refurb etc, but it starts straight away and runs great! Only problem is when idling for 5 mins or stuck in traffic the clouds if grey smoke out of the exhaust are very concerning! Plus the new mot requirement is it will fail with any signs of exhaust smoke!! Really appreciate any help / advice. Thanks Carl

199K isn't so high,
The colour of the smoke can indicate what the issue might be.
Lightish grey smoke I would expect to be over fuelling, a possible injector problem.
One sign of this is if the cars behind keep their distance even though you don't think you're choking them on the fumes, and if when stationary the wind causes you to smell your own emissions (the Vito's that is).

Dark smoke could be burning oil, not so good.
Or in the cold weather you can get increased condensation but that should blow off and not be excessive.

Really this wants to go on a Star diagnostic.
It might cost a few quids but not be as bad as your thinking

Hiya
Thanks for your quick reply.
It's is a lightish grey smoke, so think I will get a star diagnostic. Any ideas how much for that?
Thanks

A Star session can be as low as £40, but it varies,
but most Mercedes Independant 'Specailists' would kock that off the price of any work.
Don't be surprised if they're too busy to accomodate straight away though.

Maybe other forum members can recommend an MB Indie in your area.

A Star session can be as low as £40, but it varies,
but most Mercedes Independant 'Specailists' would kock that off the price of any work.
Don't be surprised if they're too busy to accomodate straight away though.

Maybe other forum members can recommend an MB Indie in your area.
Thanks appreciate your advice
Carl

Reactions: m80
I'm struggling with this one, If you can spare a moment. My Vito 2006 campervan is becoming tired, diesel engine 199k. Been contemplating engine refurb etc, but it starts straight away and runs great! Only problem is when idling for 5 mins or stuck in traffic the clouds if grey smoke out of the exhaust are very concerning! Plus the new mot requirement is it will fail with any signs of exhaust smoke!! Really appreciate any help / advice. Thanks Carl

How long does it smoke for? Does it clear after a few minutes? What engine do you have in it. Mine is the 3L V6 lump.
Mine did this shorlty before the MAF failed for the first time in my ownership. I had literally just hooked it up to my son'e Aygo which needed a tow.
A new MAF and the DPF manually cleaned out (not sure how they did it) sorted it, but I got the white smoke again about a year later when travelling in slow traffic for about 5 min. It hasn't done it in 6 months or so, so it could be the DPF regenerating. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

How long does it smoke for? Does it clear after a few minutes? What engine do you have in it. Mine is the 3L V6 lump.
Mine did this shorlty before the MAF failed for the first time in my ownership. I had literally just hooked it up to my son'e Aygo which needed a tow.
A new MAF and the DPF manually cleaned out (not sure how they did it) sorted it, but I got the white smoke again about a year later when travelling in slow traffic for about 5 min. It hasn't done it in 6 months or so, so it could be the DPF regenerating. That's what I'm hoping anyway.
Hiya thanks for your detailed reply.
Yes it does clear when I start driving again after about 2 mins. Driving to work this morning the engine light came on, so just booked it in for diagnostic test. Hopefully get some not so expensive answers!! Thanks

I had an issue with my 3.0 cdi Viano whereby I would get lots of grey smoke (which smelled like burnt oil) whenever it idled for a while and then accelerated away, it did clear after a while. After reading lots of posts I changed the PCV valve (which is at the back of the left bank on the om642). After that the issue was fixed, I think it was about £20 from MB. Might be worth checking yours as mine was ruptured and excessive oil was being blown into the turbo inlet.

Best of luck...

I had an issue with my 3.0 cdi Viano whereby I would get lots of grey smoke (which smelled like burnt oil) whenever it idled for a while and then accelerated away, it did clear after a while. After reading lots of posts I changed the PCV valve (which is at the back of the left bank on the om642). After that the issue was fixed, I think it was about £20 from MB. Might be worth checking yours as mine was ruptured and excessive oil was being blown into the turbo inlet.

Best of luck...
Thanks for your detailed reply, this is something I will check out!!
Will let you know how it goes!

Thanks for your detailed reply, this is something I will check out!!
Will let you know how it goes!
Which engine btw?

Hi again
I have the van in the garage at the moment changing the ball joint.
I passed your comments onto the mechanic regarding the grey smoke, who is interested in this.
He has asked what the om642 is and do you have a part no for PCV valve?
Appreciate your help.
Thanks
Carl

OM642 is the engine code for the 3.0 Cdi engine, it comes in various sub codes - mine is OM642.990.

With you having the 2.2 Cdi (you haven't mentioned if your Vito is a 109, 110 or 150) your engine will most likely be a OM646 DE22 LA R (the exact type will be on your V5 document). This thread has mentions the PVC with some images but I would suggest that you call MB Leeds and quote your VIN and ask them for the part number and price (it might turn out to be A6110160334 but don't take my word for it - check with MB)

Cheers,

Graham

The om642 is the 3 litre V6 CDI engine. Smooth, powerful and by comparrison to your engine more quiet.
Your engine is the om646, 2,148cc in line 4 cylinder CDI.

At the risk of upsetting one or two folk, yours is the engine that is well proven and more robust.
The 642 has a list of gremlins waiting to bite.

I have recently bought a Vito with the 646. I'm expecting 20% better fuel economy, early days but so far it is exceedig that. But more is that the engine is easier to work on and I hope and expect to be more reliable.

Maybe someone else can answer the PCV bit, sorry.

@m80 You haven't upset me - my OM642 has had many issues in the 3 years I've owned it! When it's running it's fab - I can stomach the MPG as it's a mainly a family holiday bus and pulls the twin axle caravan with ease, but it's forever throwing codes and errors - maybe it's a Friday car? It's not running right now - shock horror!

OM642 is the engine code for the 3.0 Cdi engine, it comes in various sub codes - mine is OM642.990.

With you having the 2.2 Cdi (you haven't mentioned if your Vito is a 109, 110 or 150) your engine will most likely be a OM646 DE22 LA R (the exact type will be on your V5 document). This thread has mentions the PVC with some images but I would suggest that you call MB Leeds and quote your VIN and ask them for the part number and price (it might turn out to be A6110160334 but don't take my word for it - check with MB)

Cheers,

Graham
Hi again
Its a 110 vito, I have passed your comments on, will let you know the outcome
thanks again
Carl

@m80 You haven't upset me - my OM642 has had many issues in the 3 years I've owned it! When it's running it's fab - I can stomach the MPG as it's a mainly a family holiday bus and pulls the twin axle caravan with ease, but it's forever throwing codes and errors - maybe it's a Friday car? It's not running right now - shock horror!

This digresses from the thread a little and hopefully Mr Tiger won't be put out.

I started my Vi experience with a 115 Vito. Bought at 296k miles as a cheapo experiment. Couldn't get rid of the common vibes. Now believe it would be the auto box (there was nothing left to change). Anyway sold after 3 1/2 years at 330k miles and lost £25. Engine was great, gearbox vibes annoying, but not continual.

Moved up to the Viano 3.0. Luxury by comparrison. Research said 6% worse on fuel, real life 20%.
2 years and 10k miles on and after 8 months of pouring money and effort into the blummin thing I've returned to a 115 Vito.

The Vito is older but with more toys than most Vito's. It's done 114k miles, used as a builder(ish) type van it's been scraped and scratched. I'm hoping to transform it to a tasty wagon that will see out these days of the diesel being demonised into oblivion.

With the 642 I have learnt that not all faults are as assumed from diagnostics. Connection problems at sensors was something that led me many a goose chase. As many of these Vi 642's seem to suffer I wonder if the wiring looms are to be suspected more often.

Hi all, unfortunately I'm back with the same problem.
The garage I use contacted Mercedes with the suggested part (PVC - separator for the oil collector) gave my VIN no etc. Mercedes checked my vehicle and it doesn't have one!
So back to my problem, which is:
When idling for 5 mins or more the clouds of grey smoke out of the exhaust are very concerning!
Its a 2006 Vito 111 CDI Compact - 198k
Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks
Carl

Hmm, I’m very surprised that you don’t have a PCV valve! I’m no expert, I’m sure someone on the forum may know more about the engine than I do....
Do you have a small (maybe about an inch in diameter) pipe connecting into the intake pipe that is in between your turbo and air box? If you do, that’s likely to lead to you PCV if it’s got an oily residue in it.

Other than than the PCV another explanation could be the turbo oil seals. Again, I’m not an expert but my understanding is that at idle your exhaust gas temperatures (EGT’s) are a lot lower and if you have oil leaking into the exhaust from the turbo it won’t burn off as much as it does when the engine is under load. Once you load the engine the EGT’s go up massively and start to burn the oil off. Once it’s burned away the smoke gets significantly less and won’t really be visible until the EGT’s drop again. (I think this is what’s wrong with my Audi A2 Tdi but that’s another story). I think the only way to check for this is to either monitor oil consumption or remove the exhaust at the turbo after a long idle and check for oil.

Maybe someone could confirm my thought above? I hope it’s not that though as that’s more hassle than a PCV valve!

07 Viano 3.0

Other than than the PCV another explanation could be the turbo oil seals.

Was thinking the same but for the colour of the smoke - some component in the exhaust turning blue to grey?
Pressure differentials idle vs boosting can permit leaking of oil (esp compressor) I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom