Vito Rear Bench Seat - 2+1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CPN

Car
Octavia
Hello,

I have a t5 transporter which has a Vito removable rear bench seat fitted. I want to change this to a 2 or 2+1 Vito seat for more space but I dont know if its possible with the current bracket configuration and I was hoping that one of you Mercedes experts could advise me as I would ideally like to do this without having to remove and refit the floor brackets.

This is a picture of the current setup. The brackets on the seat are spaced 70cm and 34cm measuring from the centre (red tabs) and going from left to right. It seems to mirror a LHD 2+1 setup. There are loads of 2+1's on ebay but the single seat is on the passengers side whereas it looks like I would need it on the drivers side (if it would even fit).

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

van 2.jpg

van 4.jpg

RHD 'comfort' rear seat units (2+1) do have the single seat on the left (nearside). There would be a few issues with trying to fit them the other way round in your existing floor mounts. The single seat latches onto a pair of lugs at the bottom of the twin seat unit. It looks like these lugs unbolt and could be moved to the other side (where there are blanking plates), but I'm not sure how easy (or even possible) it would be to move the latching mechanism on the single seat unit to the opposite side. We have always run ours with just the 2-seat unit in ... the single is buried at the back of the garage and not easy to check! Picture of ours (when new) showing these lugs:

vito-05.jpg

A more minor issue is the armrests, which are on the 'outside' i.e. the offside of the 2-seat unit and the nearside of the single. Those would need to be moved to the opposite side on each unit, which might not be easy.

TBH the best bet would be to get your 'LHD' floor mounts moved to take normal RHD seat units. The other option would be to try and get a set of LHD rear seats ... they'd presumably be readily available in Europe but shipping would likely be horrendous (as we are now post-Brexit you'd have to pay VAT/import duty/handling fee on arrival ... that's assuming you could get anyone to ship to the UK in the first place).
Alternatively you could flog the VW and get yourself a nice Vito :D Well, this is a Merc forum so somebody had to say it :banana:

RHD 'comfort' rear seat units (2+1) do have the single seat on the left (nearside). There would be a few issues with trying to fit them the other way round in your existing floor mounts. The single seat latches onto a pair of lugs at the bottom of the twin seat unit. It looks like these lugs unbolt and could be moved to the other side (where there are blanking plates), but I'm not sure how easy (or even possible) it would be to move the latching mechanism on the single seat unit to the opposite side. We have always run ours with just the 2-seat unit in ... the single is buried at the back of the garage and not easy to check! Picture of ours (when new) showing these lugs:

View attachment 108396

A more minor issue is the armrests, which are on the 'outside' i.e. the offside of the 2-seat unit and the nearside of the single. Those would need to be moved to the opposite side on each unit, which might not be easy.

TBH the best bet would be to get your 'LHD' floor mounts moved to take normal RHD seat units. The other option would be to try and get a set of LHD rear seats ... they'd presumably be readily available in Europe but shipping would likely be horrendous (as we are now post-Brexit you'd have to pay VAT/import duty/handling fee on arrival ... that's assuming you could get anyone to ship to the UK in the first place).
Alternatively you could flog the VW and get yourself a nice Vito :D Well, this is a Merc forum so somebody had to say it :banana:
Thanks for the reply. That certainly gives me options anyway! I knew I would take a bit of stick posting on a Merc forum 🤣

Haha, no worries :) and good luck.

I knew I would take a bit of stick posting on a Merc forum
You've got Mercedes seats, good enough.

Would the easiest way be to install the extra 4th floor rail like BTB500 has?
If you can get confirmation that your mounting centres are as BTB's, and mount the 4th the same you can then choose any Merc seats from Vito / Viano.

You've got Mercedes seats, good enough.

Would the easiest way be to install the extra 4th floor rail like BTB500 has?
If you can get confirmation that your mounting centres are as BTB's, and mount the 4th the same you can then choose any Merc seats from Vito / Viano.
That’s a good shout. I just need to get the measurements of the spacing between the 4 rails and compare it to the 3 I have. @BTB 500 fancy helping a VW owner with his Merc seats again 😁?

@BTB 500 fancy helping a VW owner with his Merc seats again 😁?

Checking with a tape measure in the dark & rain :D I got 35 cm between the centres of each of the rear slots (where the fittings at the back of the seats go), which sounds like a match with the ones you already have.

I don't why I didn't realise. My Viano rails will be the same centres as the seats are all interchangeable.
I have the 2+1 bench, that sits under the stairs for whenever.
The 2 captain seats generally stay in the van, but come out when I'm hauling stuff.

They are all interchangeable & reversible.

Mine are all 349mm centres. A very strange measurement. As the feet can flex the 1mm it wouldn't matter imo.

Reactions: CPN
Checking with a tape measure in the dark & rain :D I got 35 cm between the centres of each of the rear slots (where the fittings at the back of the seats go), which sounds like a match with the ones you already have.
That’s great. Thanks so much for doing that!

So a 2+1 from a W447 plus the extra rail should do the trick then.

Mine is a W639 ... not sure about m80's. The W447 could well be the same though. And I was only measuring by eye with a torch and a tape measure ... looked to be 35cm but might have been a mm or so either way - I was assuming it would be a 'round number' :)

Reactions: CPN
Personally I have no experience of the 447. I wouldn't be surprised if the seats are interchangeable but clearly there would be risk unless someone could clarify either way.

They look the same here.

Personally I have no experience of the 447. I wouldn't be surprised if the seats are interchangeable but clearly there would be risk unless someone could clarify either way.

They look the same here.
Luckily there is a set for sale not too far from me so I can try before I buy. Fingers crossed!

@BTB 500 sorry to jump on an old post but I was hoping for some advice. I've got a w639 and like above its got the bench. I've bought the newer 2+1 seats and now I need to add the 4th rail. As you have done this I just wanted to ask if you had to drop the tank or of there are holes on the chassis rails but not the flooring if that makes sense. Is there clearance above the tank between the rails for bolts or does the track bolt to the chassis? Sorry if this makes no sense lol not the best at explaining. Thanks

Not wanting to speak on behalf of BTB 500 but I assumed his van came with the 4 rails.

It was a good while ago but a member installed the rails and gave a good write up about it. Maybe a search can bring it up.

The floor is a double skin as far as I'm aware. And I seem to remember that with the floor covering removed there are indents to show centres for bolts, but what's below I couldn't tell you. Insurance could be an issue, in the event.

Yup my Dualiner came with the four fitting points already there - sorry!

This thread refers to an earlier thread now unavailable, that may have been it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom