Vito rear diff ratio. Manual gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shep75

Car
Mercedes vito 109DCI 2009
Hi does anyone have any info about changing the rear differential on a 109DCI manual gearbox.
I have read loads of different forums and all I can really see is for an automatic box.
If I change ratio from 41.11 to 36.11
Will the ECU pick up fault.
I did read that someone did it with a CClass W203 and didn't have any issues as it was a manual box.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

I believe the issue will be that the traction control is programmed to a particular diff ratio and would kick in as it sees a fault. This can be reprogrammed with Star I believe.

If you learn how and where to do this please update us, as I would have interest to change from the 115 (auto) 36:11 (3.273) to the V6 38:13 (2.923),
for me that would represent a drop in revs of nearly 11% so I anticipate a remap to compensate.

I assume the speedo signal comes from the transmission (rather than the wheels), so that would also need reprogramming for a different back axle ratio?

There were actually four different ratios for the W639:

3.727 (109)
3.455 (low ratio option for 111 and 115)
3.273 (standard for 111 and 115)
2.923 (120)

Thank you for a response I will look into the star diagnostic.
Cheers

Hi just to let you all know I changed the rear diff on my manual gear box vito 41.11 to 36.11 and drove 5 mile with no fault codes.
17" wheels 75mph and 2600rpm
That's if the Speedo is correct.
Cheers Alan

Thanks for the update.
Are you feeling the improvement from lower revs and engine noise?

I've upped my tyre size to 205 / 75 / 16 for a slightly softer ride (and lower revs). That's a rolling circumference increase of about 6%
Tire Size Comparison
Against GPS the speedo is now spot on up to 65mph, but the odometer under reads by about 3.5%

Hi just to let you all know I changed the rear diff on my manual gear box vito 41.11 to 36.11 and drove 5 mile with no fault codes.
17" wheels 75mph and 2600rpm
That's if the Speedo is correct.
Cheers Alan
I would check the speedo against GPS speed to be on the safe side. It could be under-reading now, depending on where the speed signal comes from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom