Vito rear doors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaygee32

Car
Vito
We've just bought a 62 plate vito van with a view to convert it into a camper/day van.
Now discovered a problem with opening doors, the locks buttons spring up to show open, but sometimes the offside will open and often the near side won't. Any suggestions please?

Is this the rear side doors? I've not seen pop up buttons on these doors, but you might try cleaning the contact pads on the pillar with a mildly abrasive kitchen cleaner paste.

If one side door isn't unlocking then yes just give the electrical contacts a (very careful) clean.

Thankyou both , if we can get either of the doors to open ,will clean contacts and hopefully solve the problem. It's all a bit strange to us, our present Motorhome is a 54 plate, so doesn't have all these modern things! we just want to downsize a bit but not too small, toss up between .VW or the Vito. And the latter won.
At 85, and 81 it will be our last vehicle. So might as well have a nice one.

Hi, the offside sliding door opened, we cleaned contacts, but the near side one will not open, can hear it click and locks open but when pulling handle it won't budge.
Front doors and tailgate open Ok.
BTW am I posting this in the correct place or should I be in General? All new to me.
Beginning to wish I hadn't bought it now.

This being the 639 I'm assuming there is similarity to my 2009 Viano.

Have you tried opening from the inside by pushing the high release button fairly hard?
Are the side doors electric, with the open / close control on the switch panel above the gearstick?
Something you can try is to pull the fuses to reset the controllers, I do this regularly on mine when the doors seem to forget they are doors.

There are at least 2 types of fuse board for these but hopefully yours will be as mine.
Remove the fuse board / SAM enclosure cover under the bonnet.
As you look there are 2 banks with 2 rows of fuses closest to you, you want the top row of fuses to the right (F34).
The 4th and 5th fuses from the centre (numbers 28 and 27) green 30 amp fuses are for the door controllers, if you have them.

Otherwise I suggest open / close on the key fob in hope that the lock frees itself and allows you to open.

Star diagnostics should be able to open / close the faulty door and diagnose its fault.

Wish you lived next door! Will pass this info on to my OH, (he is a retired mechanic) but not good on fuses etc. He was more an engine tuner/replacer. . I'll let you know how it goes.

OH just about to take the cover off fuse box, I tried the offending door....and it opened! Cleaned the contacts and so far it's been opening OK lots of times. So fingers crossed. Thanks for your advice. Hopefully now progress with the conversion.

Of interest,
do you have electric side doors?
Was it the hard push of the manual release inside button that worked?

You'll probably think I'm thick, but not sure, if they were, wouldn't or shouldn't they slide open when the button is pressed? No wasn't the hard push inside that worked just the outside handle. Both sliding doors opened ok this morning. My main worry was that we'd be inside and they wouldn't open, with the dual front seat can't get out of front doors from the back...but there's always the tailgate.
Insulated a bit and covered a couple of panels with carpet today.

By electric side doors I'm meaning you have controls like these at the front

viano dash control switches - Google Search

Because of the reflection you can only see the o/s switch, but the 2 outer switches are the electric door controls.
More common to Vianos but as yours is a later Vito I thought maybe.

Sounds like the doors maybe need excercise and lubrication. I spray my locking mechanisms and handles with a self drying silicon lube now and again.

If you continue to have problems with the contact plates they're replaceable for not too many ££'s and the job isn't scary. An alternative is to swap the n/s to o/s so the pins contact on a new area.

Last edited:
Power rear doors were an option on the Vito ... quite rare though. But standard on the Vito Taxi.

Reactions: m80
By electric side doors I'm meaning you have controls like these at the front

viano dash control switches - Google Search

Because of the reflection you can only see the o/s switch, but the 2 outer switches are the electric door controls.
More common to Vianos but as yours is a later Vito I thought maybe.

Sounds like the doors maybe need excercise and lubrication. I spray my locking mechanisms and handles with a self drying silicon lube now and again.

If you continue to have problems with the contact plates they're replaceable for not too many ££'s and the job isn't scary. An alternative is to swap the n/s to o/s so the pins contact on a new area.

We do not have the controls to the extreme right.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom