Vito roof rivnuts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Creaser

Car
Mercedes vito cdi115
Hi guys I have recently gone to fit roof rails on my 2004 vito 115cdi and found that the threads in the roof had rotted away. I have found out since they're rivnuts. I have got new rivnuts. My question is has anyone replaced them before and if so how?

Hi guys I have recently gone to fit roof rails on my 2004 vito 115cdi and found that the threads in the roof had rotted away. I have found out since they're rivnuts. I have got new rivnuts. My question is has anyone replaced them before and if so how?
Without the rivnut tool you wont get them in. I have fitted (and replaced) Clinch nuts on machinery . On a new piece: once the hole is drilled to the correct size,the 'nut' is screwed on to the tool (essentially a rivet gun) the 'nut' is pushed into the hole and expanded to grip on to the back of the plate material it is being fixed to, just like a rivet.

In my experience (mainly aluminium) by the time the old nut is removed the hole left behind is often too big for the Clinch nut to..er clinch.

But seeing as you have managed to buy spare nuts for your Vito then there must be an approved method of installation. I hope someone on here can shed more light.

Good luck :thumb:

I used a pice of all thread and a nut, and washers .All thread needs to be the same thread as the rivnut thread , then screw it in to the rivnut put a washer on the allthread end run a nut down the thread locking the nut up will squeez the rivnut to the hole in the roof.Or pick a rivnut tool up of ebay to do it right.

image.jpg image.jpg Thanks guys I work for Harley Davidson and we use rivnuts quite a bit. The problem I can see with the rivnuts they have given me is they have threads all the way through where as a normal rivnuts don't . Here's a photo. Hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks again.

The picture i see is of a tipical rivnut , the thread goes right through . As it would never squash up with out a hole right through it.. We would like to see the ones you have with no hole going through .

The picture is of the rivnuts I have been supplied. My question is how do the rivnuts work as the rivnuts we use at work are only threaded at the lower part so when you tighten them up the upper part compresses. I was trying work out if there is thread from the top to the bottom how can it compress the rivnut.

Every thing will deform [hexigon part ] as you squeeze the tool ,all but the thread thats on the rivnut tool will squash up .You do need to purchase the right part for the job end of game.... Is the part in the picture the right ones for your vito?

Yes these are from Mercedes bought using my chassis number.

I just don't see how the threads will squash up as the tool will be exactly the same threads so it won't squash the threads.

You do need a tool then try it out on a piece of steel with a rivnut on it , but the hole is the same shape as the rivnut with flats on like a nut .You can see how it works,as it is squashed up .Check it out on Google put in -how do rivnuts work, or how they are fixed to metal ..

This is all you need to fix then in the roof .Or pay for a real tool to do it .That will be a waste if you use it once .

Attachments

• IMG_1116.JPG
    IMG_1116.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 11
  • IAC1.jpg
    IAC1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 10
Optiusprime i understand what you are saying but the rivnuts you have posted a picture of are the same as the rivnuts we use at work and are not threaded from top to bottom. They have section at the top which is not threaded. This is the section which crushes as you compress the rivnut. However the rivnuts that I have posted a picture of are the Mercedes rivnuts which are the correct ones for my van are threaded from top to the bottom with no section being able to crush. Have you replaced these rivnuts in the vito roof before? I have rivnut tools at work.

The thread will go away from the tool as it squashes up .Some have thread right through the rivnut others are clear of threads .Makes no difference thread or no threads the rivnut will do the same .

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 69c416fca0f9c72ccf56faa31cb547fd.jpg
    69c416fca0f9c72ccf56faa31cb547fd.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 8
Ok so the picture you have shared is of the standard type of rivnut but I don't see how if it has thread all the way there is nowhere to crush as when you pull with a rivnut gun it will just pull against all the threads. I will try one and let you know how I get on.

The one above with the blue picture as a thread right through it can you see it squashes away from the tool ..

I beg to differ. You can see there is a step in the outer the thread that is show in the picture is the bolt that passes through. If you have not fitted the rivnuts in the roof before I think this conversation should stop now as it is going nowhere. I know how a normal rivnut like the one in the photo works as I have been using that style for the last thirty years.
Thanks for your information.
But my question still stands" has anyone replaced the rivnuts in a vito roof and if so what did they use"

Don't know if this helps, but I had a look at WIS for a 639.601 which seems to include a 115 cdi model.

There is a repair procedure (AR 77.40-S-5000-01S) for the roof rail threaded bush which involves inserting the threaded bush from the outside trim channel and then from the inside, placing a spacer ring over the protuding bush and fastening a flat headed bolt up into the bush, using the spacer to clamp the bush to the roof.

Is it possible that MB have improved the bush such that the correct bolt inserted down into the bush expands the bush to grip the roof panel a la rivnut style?

If you can tell me your MB model, or post up your VIN, I may be able to get the appropriate repair procedure for your exact vehicle.

Creaser your the rudest member i have ever helped , so its up to you , you know all about it so just get on with it. And i wont help you again ..THE -- post above from codger explains just what i was saying .

Codger49 my van is a 2004 115cdi dualiner. Your help would be appreciated.
Optimusprime I am sorry you think I am rude but at no time have you said the same as codger49 as he is saying you clamp it from the inside and I am guessing it will involve bonding it in. The process you keep talking about would crush the rivnut. The rivnuts I have are not going to crush up even if I use the correct rivnut gun as there is thread from top to bottom so there is no room for the rivnut to crush up as I have said in my earlier post.

Creaser, I will need your VIN to try to get more specific.

The procedure that referenced the repair procedure (AR 77.40-S-5000-01S), states "Only on model 639 up to number 052879 and without codes D03 and D04" which appear to be roof height and headliner options.

PS In 2015 I went to my MB dealer for the rivnuts to replace stripped thread rivnuts on my CLK rear number plate mounting. When I tackled the job, the gizmos he had given me bore no resemblence to what was on the car and I ended up using stainless nuts and bolts after removing interior and exterior trim panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom