Vito speed/temp vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clip

Car
Vito w639
I’ve just bought a 2013 113 Vito auto with only 48000 miles. When I test drove it, it had vibration at 60-70mph. The tyres were nearly worn out and cheap Chinese, so assumed they were the culprit. But fitting new tyres, balanced etc. vibration still there. I can knock it into neutral and it’s still there, and you feel it disappear as speed drops under 50mph. At 40mph, it’s as smooth as smooth.
The really weird thing after driving for about an hour on freeway, it gets better - up to a point where it’s still there, but not nearly as noticeable. Hoping someone can shed some light on this as I’m stumped.

Might have to source a complete tail shaft and see if that changes anything.

Could it be a damaged wheel (i.e balanced but out of true)? Maybe quickly swap the backs/fronts to see if that changes anything ... you'd expect to feel something through the steering if it was coming from the front. Otherwise I'd also be guessing at the propshaft ... IIRC the joints can give trouble, although it would be pretty odd at only 48k miles. Do you know the history of the van? 6,000 miles a year seems very low for a vehicle like that. Any chance it was crashed/repaired, and maybe something isn't aligned properly now?

Hmm, thanks BTB50p, you’ve given me some things to think about. I believe the mileage is true given the general condition of the van, it looks and drives like new.

I don’t think wheels as just had new tyres fitted and balanced all around. I’d expect them to say something if they couldn’t get the rears balanced properly, but you never know I guess. So I should swap front to rears to see if any change as there’s definitely nothing coming through the steering wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom