Vito Sport Comparison W639 vs W447 Opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

91dm

MB Enthusiast
Car
A few
Hello,

I'm on the lookout for a new daily driver, moving from an estate to a van as it's the only thing that ticks all the boxes. A ML/GL would be ideal but the running costs/purchase is out of the question. I've been looking at late 13-15 Vito Sport Dualiners with 5 seats which have good reviews but I struggled to find much comparisons between that and the new 447 model.

Is the later 447 worth the extra money, I'd be looking at the sport bluetec 190, so comparing the two equivalent models? I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has had both or made the switch/upgrade.

ca635a0e4b64949837dc9795ed00a7e0.jpg

001-mercedes-benz-vito-vito-116-crew-van-compact-sport-silver-vcltp-42fc29c8fbe74a28aa22d835ec0fc798.jpg

Thanks!

So.many varying views on this but a mate of mine has swapped from the 639 to the 447 & reckons that its night & day better!! But he has gone for the 119 model as that's the one with the Mercedes engine.. The 639 Sport models are a sort after motor now with 224bhp stock & has the last of the V6 motor in them.
Tbh if it was my choice I'd have to drive them both, if the 447 is as good as I've been told then the 119 might be the way forward..

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The 639 Sport models are a sort after motor now with 224bhp stock & has the last of the V6 motor in them.

I thought the 639 Sport was the 115/116 4-cyl, and V6 in the Sport X?

You can get a sport v6 not the brabus sport x, I've still not fully worked out the whole model range. I'm looking at the 4 cylinder models.

Are you sure about that? I was pretty sure the Sport only had 4-cyl engines, even after the facelift. The Sport X was never described as a Brabus btw (other than by some owners!).

Edit: Vito Sport review (post facelift) here from MB Ipswich says 4-cyl /160 bhp:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've always believed 122's were the V6
cbdd97710133ee2671bc1030a40c03fa.jpg

Yup the W639 120 (pre-facelift, 204 bhp) and 122 (post-facelift, 224 bhp) were the V6 models (both with auto gearbox).

They do a 116 sport which is the 4 cylinder 651 engine

2014 Mercedes-Benz Vito 3.0 122CDI Dualiner Sport Compact Panel Van 5dr Diesel | eBay

Is this just a sport, reg just shows dualiner?

How would you rate your 639 'BTB 500'?

You can't always go by what ads say but that certainly does look like a V6 Sport, in which case I stand corrected! Sport is just seat trim and a set of factory options combined into a (discounted) package ... worth having though.

We've had our 120 (204 bhp) for 12 years now (from new), and it has covered 110k miles. Overall it's pretty good although relatively heavy on fuel ... we average under 25 mpg, with high 20s on a long motorway run at 75 ish. It has just squeaked into the low 30s on trips to Germany.

It was pretty trouble free up to about 90k but we then had a nightmare year with repairs totaling up to over £6k (and a lot of time off the road). The big items were a new turbo and manifolds (an engine out job), plus EGR valve and various failed sensors - fuel pressure, mass airflow, and DPF temperature (which was seized and had to be drilled out). Prior to that the crankshaft position sensor and DPF pressure sensor had failed.

I think to some extent we were just unlucky as the V6 CDI is of course widely used throughout the MB range and is generally OK. The CPS was a 'known issue' which was the subject of a safety recall (because it caused the engine to stop dead) for all MBs with that engine apart from the Vito :rolleyes:, and the manifold/turbo problem (where the manifold liner breaks up, trashing the turbo) is also a known issue on the OM642 in general but much rarer.

On the plus side it's quick, quiet (for a van) and handles pretty well. Without roof rails it fits under 2m height barriers so (unlike many vans) is OK in all car parks including underground and multi-storey. We use it as a family car, with 5 seats and the back section caged out for our dogs.

Thanks for the input, as much as I'd like the V6 power, can't justify it for what I need. I'm trying to find somewhere that has a 639 and 447 both in stock to drive side by side, want to see if or how much quieter and comfortable the newer Vito is.

Forgot to say - in terms of comfort the seat options on a particular vehicle are significant. Things like arm rests, reclining, lumbar support etc. all make a difference. We specced 'comfort' seats front & back - with the rears this gives a 2+1 layout with 3 individually reclining back rests. For a daily driver you want to make sure it has Parktronic IMHO ... and an auto gearbox is nice to have.

Thanks for the input, as much as I'd like the V6 power, can't justify it for what I need. I'm trying to find somewhere that has a 639 and 447 both in stock to drive side by side, want to see if or how much quieter and comfortable the newer Vito is.

There are some good deals on the 447 I’m looking at a 2018 one myself 19k for 345 per month [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been considering upgrading My V6 204 Sport X to a later Vito and have been researching them for the past few months What I've found so far is the 447 is more economical , the V6 is super smooth and refined, but is quite thirsty, I get 32 staying legal on motorway & dual carriageway, hard to get it above that , saw 37 once during extended 50mph roadworks, but 32 on a run quite a bit less around town 25-26 The Ride is known on the 639 vitos to be a bit bump crash on some roads and the suspension was revised in 2010 according to the model with tourers and vianos being the most compliant .The 447 will ride better especially a Dual or Tourer or V-class , 447 will be more economical , but is a 4 cylinder and with twin turbo has almost as much torque as the V6 The 651 engine in the new vitos is not as bullet proof as the old 646? ( pre 2010) a single ( not duplex )timing chain at .........the rear! of the engine ! and stop start exacerbates wear to this item, meaning they can become rattly and need changing ( not a cheap job ) However on the aesthetics the 447's do look cool and sit a bit lower but some on the vito owners facebook site miss the dash 'layout of the old 639 On Balance I'd go for a 447 I'm just waiting for them to get a bit cheaper as my 639 has flattened out on depreciation ( now on 203K - they will do 350k! lots on the facebook with those sort of mileages . I think BTB was a bit unlucky with his by the sound of it .
A few weeks back i saw a 447 with cream quilted leather seats , cream doorcard and dash it was like a bl**dy bentley stunning ,it was an I want it interior I'd have bought it there and then but it wasnt for sale ( wheel change at the services ) not seen one for sale like it since not sure whether it was a factory spec or a custom but gorgeous
Boyd
PS i'd avoid the base spec ( renault engine ) & FWD manual Its a merc go for the auto RWD effortless and smooth

Test drove a 447 just before Christmas and was very impressed, made the 639 feel a little dated. On the hunt for a 447 sport which is proving to be difficult to find.

I test drove a 190bhp sport auto which felt well put together and drove great, especially in comparison with other marques.

Test drove a 447 just before Christmas and was very impressed, made the 639 feel a little dated. On the hunt for a 447 sport which is proving to be difficult to find.

I test drove a 190bhp sport auto which felt well put together and drove great, especially in comparison with other marques.

I'm pleased to hear the 447 is more desirable.
I'm on the look out for a W639, OM646 with fairly specific spec, this makes my success more likely.
What I want isn't easy to find and when I do the prices asked are often staggering, or clocked ex taxis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom