Vito Sport Comparison W639 vs W447 Opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm pleased to hear the 447 is more desirable.
I'm on the look out for a W639, OM646 with fairly specific spec, this makes my success more likely.
What I want isn't easy to find and when I do the prices asked are often staggering, or clocked ex taxis.
What spec is it that you are looking for??

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I started looking at 639s but had the same issue, the exact model I was looking for became very close the latest shape prices.

A black automatic sport dualiner with sensible miles and good condition is fairly hard to find.

What spec is it that you are looking for??

Some are desires and not set in stone, but here goes.

OM646, so that means W639, 2010 being the latest.
No DPF.
The 2010 has advantages in that they have improved door mirrors,
also more likely to have auto wipers, the auto lights have always been pointless with me. Far less likely to have the outdated dash sited phone instal. An Android system takes care of all that.
Better if there is no Comand, but a well specced Viano is likely to have that. An Android system is far superior. and the Comand means the dash clock can't be manually adjusted.
Dark leather interior, so not the base version.
I prefer 16" wheels, and then fit taller tyres. The drops the revs by 6%, but more importantly give a softer ride, that is already improved in the Viano anyway, but reduces pot hole damage risk.
A lower ratio V6 diff would be a nice later mod.
Then a remap becomes more needy as the whole would be an effective drop of 17% power / torque.
7 seats is preferable. Then there is a greater choice of seat config's, and the mounting rails are the wider type to accomodate the table.
Front seats must be heated, and will be changed for more comfortable and electric, possibly with memory. Volvo seats are doing well in the Vito.
Front and rear 'OEM' pdc.
Preferable to have the oem tow bar, as I've learnt only today the advantages of that being coded in.
Halogen headlights, with night breaker's, it's good enough and less complicated come repair time.
Mileage preferably around 100k, geniune as v many are clocked ex taxis. Ex taxis are far more likely to have the 8 seat set up though.
The more oem roof lights the better.
Electric doors are pro and con. Can be a nuisance but v nice when working correctly, but calling them taxi doors isn't inaccurate.
Alarm yes, 2 keys nice.
No flippin' ceiling screens, I can think of that type of thing myself.
No serious rot to the rear subframe.

I've mentioned just a snippet of my own mods, there would be a few more.

The Vito is v well specced, and a great advantage is the tax of £155 pa, and a geniune 125k miles, so there is no rush.

I was tempted recently to pick up a 3.0 viano with a blown engine, just to use it as a donor for the Vito and recreate it as a Viano. Larisa keeps reminding me that I don't need another project with so much else outstanding, She's right (for a change).

Flippin' 'eck, I've just looked at the write up. It's a bit long, sorry.
But you did ask.

Last edited:
Sounds like my van, except for the wheels

Reactions: m80
Hello,

I'm on the lookout for a new daily driver, moving from an estate to a van as it's the only thing that ticks all the boxes. A ML/GL would be ideal but the running costs/purchase is out of the question. I've been looking at late 13-15 Vito Sport Dualiners with 5 seats which have good reviews but I struggled to find much comparisons between that and the new 447 model.

Is the later 447 worth the extra money, I'd be looking at the sport bluetec 190, so comparing the two equivalent models? I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has had both or made the switch/upgrade.

ca635a0e4b64949837dc9795ed00a7e0.jpg

001-mercedes-benz-vito-vito-116-crew-van-compact-sport-silver-vcltp-42fc29c8fbe74a28aa22d835ec0fc798.jpg

Thanks!

having owned both I can say the w447 is better in every way.

Hello,

I'm on the lookout for a new daily driver, moving from an estate to a van as it's the only thing that ticks all the boxes. A ML/GL would be ideal but the running costs/purchase is out of the question. I've been looking at late 13-15 Vito Sport Dualiners with 5 seats which have good reviews but I struggled to find much comparisons between that and the new 447 model.

Is the later 447 worth the extra money, I'd be looking at the sport bluetec 190, so comparing the two equivalent models? I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has had both or made the switch/upgrade.

ca635a0e4b64949837dc9795ed00a7e0.jpg

001-mercedes-benz-vito-vito-116-crew-van-compact-sport-silver-vcltp-42fc29c8fbe74a28aa22d835ec0fc798.jpg

Thanks!
Your 2nd photo of the 447 did not display. Could you please re-attach? I'm trying to identify if my Dec 14 116 is a 447 or 639. Am I right in thinking it's buried in the VIN number?

Your 2nd photo of the 447 did not display. Could you please re-attach? I'm trying to identify if my Dec 14 116 is a 447 or 639. Am I right in thinking it's buried in the VIN number?
am also wanting to swap the single passenger seat for a double (giving me 6 seats in total) and am literallly just beginning to get my head around it...totally confused so far ;)

If you have specific questions I'm pretty sure most answers will be forth coming.

And you may learn more about your Vito with this

he Vito is v well specced, and a great advantage is the tax of £155 pa, and a geniune 125k miles, so there is no rush.
What Vito was that ? your new one ? what year & spec was it

Front and rear 'OEM' pdc.
Just cant think what that is Parking distance control ?
Hi M80 :)How are you getting on these days after the emissions saga ?

Just cant think what that is Parking distance control ?
Hi M80 :)How are you getting on these days after the emissions saga ?
Aye, that'll be the parking sensors. The OEM fronts are the big plus there.

After a lot of effort it passed at 0.01 whatevers. I've covered around 3K miles since.
Head off, no sign of gasket problems there, the deviation of the surface well within spec. But I wanted to replace valve seals and lap them, so worthwhile.
Inlet manifold had no signs of issue, so it went back cleaned.
EGR wasn't in a bad way, same it got cleaned.
The reconditioning of the original injectors was a failure, I bought new.
There was evidence that I'm not the 1st to strip the engine.
There was a wiring issue to the DP sensor that likely was only apparent due to my disturbing it, it has been heat affected by the exhaust. I soldered in patch but it had thrown me for a good while with implausible readings.
New intercooler pipe seals,
replacement turbo cartridge, both more for peace of mind.

I was seeing some whiteish smoke at cold start (hence the head gasket investigation). I pressure tested the EGR cooler on the bench with some water within at 30psi, it held. I'm still seeing that and now blame it on the cooler passing when hot and stood after a run. I believe it drops into the inlet tract, pools in the intercooler and when started after being stood it hits the fast heating exhaust and steams off. I'll fit a new EGR cooler when it warms up out there, as it's harmless.

It had 3 new mounts and all fluids replaced.

With these Vi's there is always something to do but as long as I can eat into my backlog by using it much of it can wait.

I would like a lower ratio V6 diff,
a remap to compensate that,
AC compressor yet to be replaced, and any 'o' rings I can get to.
I'd like to fit additional fr & rr LED emergency flashers for any possible break down situation, smart ****d m'ways being the main consideration there, but rural roads can be risky also.
And a small addition would be a charging cradle for the mobile. My head unit seems useless with 'Hey Google', my phone needs to be awoken for that function. In a cradle I'm able to press the button for that, aside from seeing better who is calling me I can call Mrs Me via Google bitch to let her know my eta.
On long journeys QI charging would be useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom