Vito sport x buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davektm

Car
Ford F100
Hi folks,

I'm looking at a 2007 Vito sport x and have looked at quite a few threads but most seem to be older. Looking for any pitfalls or anything in particular to look out for on this 3.0 diesel Vito. It has 155000 miles which from what I've read isn't much to worry about. I'm currently running a Nissan primastar with 165000 miles but always fancied the quick MB van. Thanks in advance.

These engines are smooth and quiet, and lovely to drive.

The Vito V6 CDI will have a DPF, they can cause issues due to the extra sensors and of course the filter itself.

'O' ring replacement to the oil cooler is a 9 hour job, apparently, as it sits in the V and lots need to be removed to get at it..

Oil can leak from the air duct at the turbo spigot, onto the inlet port motor below, that'll kill it eventually. Many instal a 47k onhm resistor and unplug the motor. The inlet flaps have been known to disintegrate and pass into the cylinders.

Consumption is around 25mpg, low 30's at best on a good run. The 2.1 (OM646) engine can be approx 25% better. The V6 is the OM642 engine.

Oh, they aren't immune to rust. Check the rear subframe carefully, at least. You are in Aberdeen so there is an increased liklihood of tin worm.

Also get it well warmed and take it up a steep hill, with power. Vibrations through the drive train are common. The trial and error diagnosis / remedy can be an expensive nuisance.

Others will have more to add I'm sure.

I have one and they are a hoot to drive, effortless torque ,loads of grunt , sublime and smooth, great motorway cruisers a very refined drive .
Downsides;
Fuel Fuel & Fuel I struggle to get over 32 on a run
Its a top end high performance engine squeezed in , and can be expensive to maintain compared to a bulletproof Pre 2010 2.2 (OM646 engine )
as said above, oil seal in valley, DPF etc and drive vibrations (propshaft )
BTB500 on here has one ( search ) and has had a few troubles
I bought mine at 173k its now on 205K
The engines and gearbox's are good for 350K if maintained properly .
If you can afford the fuel and the risk of a sizeable bill (it goes with the level of performance ) then you are in with eyes wide open, you wont be disappointed with the refined drive and the power delivery
Theres a good facebook presence Mercedes Vito Owners Club ( several V6 owners on there )
Boyd

Thanks guys, I’ve taken the plunge and bought it. Needs a few niggly jobs done that I’ll do over the next week including new rear pads and discs, wonky drivers window and a new centre box. Then I’ll drive it and see how I get on before sorting out a couple of dodgy bits of paint.

Keep us posted on progress and mileage / price and whats being done always interesting to compare notes not many of us vito owners on this forum piccie would be nice as well. The V 6's usually look the business , 18'" alloys etc sidebars / tinted windows etc it aint just " A VAN" I've had many admiring comments on mine and people interested in owning one .VW 's are very fashionable and have a very big clique following but what vans / people carriers are used to ferry the Uber Rich about in ? Sunseeker etc Executive Jets etc its nearly always a Vito / V-class, several footballers owned them with customised Bentley stitched cross hatch upholstery, 50 inch TV in the back, Reclining sofa / armchairs with vibration / massage and a Games console and a high end sound system There isn't a classier van IMO such a comfortable drive as well I drove to scotland in mine 4-5 hrs and it woudnt have bothered me if had to drive all the way back,

I have an 08 version and it is a thirsty beast. 23mpg is my average but for all the mileage I do it's not such a problem.
I had 2 new MAf's in a short period of time so ended up getting it remapped so that the parameters were set higher (apparently!!) and that cured that problem.
I suspect I have slightly more power now, but the delivery is not just as smooth. This years major service item is to get the gearbox oil changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom