vito suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buck boy

Hi I've recently bought a vito 120 but I'm not happy with the way it handles, I don't really want to lower the suspension but will do to a minimum if I have to, does anyone have any suggestions?

Just lower it 30-40mm on h&r springs
Someone will be along soon zenman is the man to speak to

What's the specific problem you have? Very happy with ours on standard suspension / factory 17" alloys / Conti tyres. Running higher than plated tyre pressures though.

I would check the suspension over firstly before modifying.

May I ask what pressure you run your tyres at? Does this affect the wear pattern?
Kevin

The 101Hs I had on before were plated at 33 PSI which seemed incredibly low, and they wore the outside edges much faster than the centre. So I ran those at 35 PSI. The 101Vs fitted recently are plated at 36 PSI and I'm running them at 38 at the moment.

On a standard vito panel van I think the suspension has lots of roll in corners
They need springs fitted to stop this..

Hi all, 1st post since the sport x was delivered last week, absolutely love it, so much more comfortable than my previous T5 but I can't help thinking it's probably a tad too soft??,I'm not wanting to replace the springs just yet but I would appreciate any advice on lowering?

:dk:

Flying start said:
On a standard vito panel van I think the suspension has lots of roll in corners They need springs fitted to stop this..
i have one and carry around 1.1t all the time and I don't think it rolls at all it's just nicely comfortable.:thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Hi all, 1st post since the sport x was delivered last week, absolutely love it, so much more comfortable than my previous T5 but I can't help thinking it's probably a tad too soft??,I'm not wanting to replace the springs just yet but I would appreciate any advice on lowering?

Just lower it 30-40mm on h&r springs
Someone will be along soon zenman is the man to speak to

This is a simple and proven way to reduce and even the ride height on a Vito. I am told that it does improve the roll considerably without affecting ride quality unduly. There are a few owners on here that have used this very kit……..H & R spring kits are readily available in the UK and are not expensive. And four wheel alignment will need to be done afterwards I would say.

There are several threads on Vito lowering/suspension (use the Search function top right) of which this is one of them http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres-brakes-suspension/94854-vito-639-spax-springs.html

And welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Visually I think the Vito benefits from lowering. It's always seemed strange to me that even the Sport X isn't lowered - VW's 'sportline' vans always have been, and look good for it.

In terms of handling I'm not so sure, I've always been very happy with ours and it hangs on really well in the bends ... good grip and little obvious roll. As Olly suggested above a thorough inspection of the suspension / tyres would be where I'd start.

Also some van insurers aren't happy about mods. of any kind ... lowered suspension will be immediately obvious to an engineer if you don't declare it and the van ends up being inspected for any reason.

As GVM said if you do lower get a full wheel alignment done afterwards. Apart from anything else Vitos are known for wearing the outside edges of the tyres, even with the standard setup.

You must be comparing to a F1 car...

No not really just a vito
After driving the t5 spot line and transit st the vito has treable roll in corners
That much you'd think you where on a hilux
Ok like you say its no f1 car but there's better out there..

l guess its how strong your tummy is to stop your food coming up. My kids and miss's would feel nauseas and sometimes throw up before the 120 was lowered. travelling on constant mountain roads as a driver l to felt sick.

So anyone with H&R springs that can gave the wheel arch measurement to compare to stock springs, mine is currently sitting very high I think 420 mm:confused:maybe will settle after a few 100 or so miles.

I am too looking for information regarding lowering my Vito.

I was told the H&R don't do a spring kit for the 122CDi and on the Eibach product selector it states for vehicles with ride height control?

Has anybody done this as yet to a 122 and advise on what spring they used and what sort of drop they achieved.

Last edited:
Concerns about lowering

Hi ya I have just bought a 2012 Vito 113Cdi, i want to lower it but the Mercedes garage say its a bad idea as the Vito will go through tyres like no tomorrow the question is:

Can i lower it?
If so by how much?
And does anyone know a garage in Teesside that does it?
Also do you wear down tyres more quickly after lowering the van?

Cheers for the advice in advance

After 1500 miles of ownership I now know that the sport x does not need lowering!, with the Brabus lower lip it only just clears kerbs when parking nose 1st & I've had a few nervous moments entering & leaving a customers house that is approached over uneven ground so I'm staying as MB intended? for now anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom