Vito tailgate struts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vitocliff

Car
Vito120cdi
Just fitted new tailgate struts to my Vito. Not as easy as I thought it would be ! Easy enough to get the old ones off, they were shot. I supported the tailgate with a length of wood and did one at a time. The new ones needed to be compressed a little to get them to fit without a struggle. Unfortunately I couldn't think how to do this, so I fitted it to the tailgate first, removed the bracket with the ball attached and put a piece of masking tape where the bracket had been and added a little grease to it. Next I attached the free end of the new strut to the ball, pushed it up to the body as far as it would go and proceeded to lever it up to the required position with a screwdriver inserted in one of the bolt holes. Next I entered the lower bolt in the hole and screwed it in, keeping the bracket in line for the upper bolt. The upper bolt was more difficult, as the strut is now in the way of getting straight on the bolt so I managed to get it tightened most of the way, using an allen key like tool to finally tighten up. Repeat other side and job done !
Was a bit fiddly, but not bad.
Now I suspect that many of you have carried out this job on your own van but doing it another way, want to share your experience ? Cliff.

I'd also be interested to hear ways of doing this ... the tailgate on ours doesn't quite go all the way up any more and I've banged my head on it a couple of times now! Where did you source the struts from, and how much were they?

This is a 'job to do' on the E320. I keep putting it off coz it looks a pain to do. When I get round to it I'll photo record it and write it up.

I'd also be interested to hear ways of doing this ... the tailgate on ours doesn't quite go all the way up any more and I've banged my head on it a couple of times now! Where did you source the struts from, and how much were they?
Lots on ebay ! I just went for a supplier I've used before called superbcarparts, they were middle of the road on price at £26.99. Obviously not original parts, so can only hope they last. Hope this helps, Cliff.

i have just replaced all four on my ML270, all four were £26.99 off ebay.
bonnet dead easy
tailgate, just found i had to lift tailgate an extra 1/2 inch to get them on.

I luckily don't have this problem as I have barn doors but ive just had the rear wiper motor pack up!! Well done Cliff on a job well done.

Rear wiper motor seems to be a very common fault, ours had to be replaced and since then I've noticed a good few W639s with the rear wiper stuck in an odd position!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom