Vito van 2007 dead and electrical problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vitovan888

Car
Merc Vito
Hello I’m new to this forum and need help please.

I have a Vito van 2007 that was running good until a few days ago....went to van and key turned in ignition lights came on on cluster but at the end of the turn nothing from the engine

Call me brother and he said rock the van in gear as starter motor may be stuck

I rocked the van in gear... all lights went out on cluster and it started turning over with cluster lights off, I took the key out and van was still turning over then about 10 seconds the battery ran flat

I have tried jump starting the van but it just turns over the starter motor as soon as I put the leads on and this is with no lights on dash or key in ignition.

Had the Ignition key and ignition checked and the ESL is not on

The Van is dead I can not open doors with fob or radio does not work nothing electrical at all works

I can not get any codes as the ignition has no power

Any ideas ?

Sounds like a serious and unsual electrical problem there vitovan888. I have a vito as well but ive never heard of that happening. prob best to pay an auto spark a callout to see what the problem is or start to check the wiring around the starter motor and starter motor itself. Could be the solenoid on the starter has short circuited if thats possible to do with ignition off. Have a look at wiring in under bonnet fuse box. maybe some other guys on here have come upon it.

I don't see an obvious cause.
I wonder if the starter relay has welded contacts,
that may be due to massive over current demanded by the starter solenoid, but your lights still being on pre start contradicts that.

You could try pulling the starter relay and see if that has the outcome of not continually turning the starter.
If it's the same fuse board as mine (A 639 545 0401) (different have been used) try pulling relay K5. It sits toward the top between 2 fuses to the left 5 amp and 15 amp, and the row of 4 fuses across the top (10 amp fuse closest).

Thanks for both your input, It was the solenoid stuck on start hence every time i put power to the van it started to turn over by passing the ignition. Just for anyone who has the same problem. I took the relays out of the fuse board under the bonnet and checked all good, so I brought a new starter moter £90 quid, a 14 E tork bit £7 and a pair of axel stands £18. To change the starter motor you have to jack the van up both sides one side at a time make shure you have the hand brake on (take passenger wheel off and get under van that side) and put the axel stands on a long bar under bumper, you undo the two 14E star bolts and the starter motor drops out then there is two wires to disconnet you will need a 10mm and 13mm spanner for this, then simply put the wires on the new starter motor and push it back in (you can not get it wrong as it only fits in one way) and do up the star bolts re connect the battery, I brought a brand new one and boom your back in business, it took me 3 hours to complete the job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom