Vito W447 Windscreen replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TurfMerchant

Car
Vito W447 119 Sport 2016
Hi all,
Am new to the club, but have been using it to search for some info, so thought I'd share my experience...

Got my 2016 Vito a few months ago, upgrading from a 2005 Vito that I had for about 5 years.

After only limited driving I got a tiny chip in the centre of the windscreen. I got one fo those repair packs and that seemed to do the job. Then, a week ago I got another chip, this time near the drivers edge. A 1cm star appeared, and by 10 mins of driving later a 15cm crack had developed. I tried filling it carefully with the repair kit, but it didn't 'disappear' magically lile the ads say! It then got bigger, so time to look at the replacement options.

Firstly, do you have to go on the 'dark web' to find the price of a replacement windscreen!?! I reckon I could price (and possibly score) some crack cocaine more easily!

Then, the info for anyone in my predicament; my insurance (Eridge) excess is £100, but they limit windscreen claims to £400. Then I read an article about how new 'smart' windscreens have become really expensive to replace - up to £2k. Cue crapping myself a bit as I waited for the insurer to get back to me. Then I got a text saying my 'balance' owed was £847! I got onto them straight away and eventaully got a call back saying I would have to pay £141 - though this included the excess.

So, a Pilkington glass replacement windscreen for a 2016 W447 Vito costs £541... through Eridge's authorised fitters - Auto Windscreens. My old Vito used to get pebbles flying at it quite regularly - and never got a scratch. The new glass somehow feels thinner... time will tell, but at the moment I'm not feeling very confident that it's my last trip to the glassmen...

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add..............

I had cause to get a full insurance repair costs list from my insurers yr1 direct line yr2~6 Admiral (2014 w447 tourer demonstrator 18month before launch) after a campaign of intimidation and vandalism orchestrated by a local councillor (over £6k total)

The windscreen was part of a larger incident but separately installed by the major windscreen company...... cost of replacement with mercedes glass (too early for 3rd party replacements) £141.95 +vat paid by insurer... full cost not insurance excess or whatever

notably this was considerably cheaper than the £540 quoted if dealing with me directly

BTW I changed to Admiral after my wife wrote off the car I just got her (3 full rolls and 2 end over end flips, landing under front bumper of artic (thankfully he stopped)..... I did not haggle with Admiral but received nearly DOUBLE what I paid for the car as THEIR estimate of market value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom