Vito W639 111 Van Noises & Vibrations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JaseG

Car
Vito W639 111 2.2 CDI
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for help with a problem that is driving me mad. The van has developed a problem, which I originally thought was a faulty turbo.

The problem: I'm getting a horrible metallic clanking noise when accelerating. Like metal scrapping on metal, I had play on the turbo and thought it was the turbo grinding when apply the power. The noise is not present on idle, you can rev the engine and no sounds, if you drive the van above 50 mph the noise is a lot quiter, there is a vibration present, but if you dip the clutch and contiune to coast, there isnt anything, even going down hill in gear (no accelerating) theres no vibration, but as soon as you touch the power its present.

The turbo, oil and filter have been changed but its still the same. Ive read different things on various forums, saying there are problems with Dual Mass Flywheels, Clutches & Prop-Shafts. I dont have deep pockets so, Im trying to diagnose the problem myself, before spending anymore on her.

Can anyone suggest any basic tests, that I can try to narrow the list down.

**Edit: the noise sounds like its come from the front right of the van, hence, the wrongly diagnosed turbo :(

Thank you in advance for any help.
Jase

Last edited:
Well it turns out my gearbox rear mount had failed, which in turn allowed the propshaft to happily smack it self on everything it could under there, so new mount and propshaft solved the problem.

Reactions: m80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom