Vito w639 compact spare wheel issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
Vito 111C
Hi there.

Love the w639 Vito. Can't wait to get the next one next week...!

Does anyone know if I can replace the full sized spare with a modern merc space saver wheel?? Being RWD I wouldn't want to go miles on a space saver but for camping trips it might help internally a bit!

(The other option I am considering is mounting externally on the barn doors..?!)

Cheers

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect you'd have problems finding a space saver with a high enough weight rating (rim and tyre). Legally it needs to match the vehicle's max. gross weight, so how little you're actually carrying is irrelevant. You could have a sealant/compressor kit instead of a spare - that's what the Dualiner Compact with the 'comfort' pack got (because of the internal trim panels at the back there's nowhere to hang a spare).

The Vito long is only 9.5" longer than the compact which is nothing really, but that slight extra allows an under-slung spare wheel carrier behind the back axle ... a big plus IMHO.

Yep. I was prepared to compromise for the right van then realised the spare wheel issue... Might try mounting externally....? Good shout on the load rating. Of course [emoji16]

An ML space saver will be fine.

Thanks for the replies chaps.
Zenman, won't the load rating of the space saver be too low for the Vito...?

Mike

Wouldn't an ML wheel+tyre have a significantly bigger rolling radius than the other 3 wheels on a W639?

Thanks for the replies chaps.
Zenman, won't the load rating of the space saver be too low for the Vito...?

No the ml would be fine but like below you will have to get a tyre with the right rolling radius using a tyre calculator.
remember the ml start at 16" wheels up to 21" and have varying size spare wheels.
What size is your stock wheel?

Hi zenamn

Stock wheel is OE 6.5 or 7 inch 16" diameter steel with 215/65 tyre.

Cheers

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom