Vito W639 disaster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clip

Car
Vito w639
I’m gutted! Bought this van with only 86,000 genuine kilometres and was very happy. 3 months later it’s the biggest heap of rubbish I’ve ever owned. Issues SO far include:

front struts
rear shocks
front and rear disc rotors and pads
battery

I was quite happy to replace those consumable items, but the following have left me very sad with this MB:

- propeller shaft (uni joints and centre bearings + dynamic balancing to try and remove the harmonic vibration at 100-110 k/h).
- steering rack seals leaking
- water pump leaking
- front control arm bushes

It has now only travelled 90,000 kilometres! I’d hate to see what it’s like at 180,000 kilometres. I thought theses were supposed to be reliable and long lasting! So very disappointed.

Of interest which engine?
I've learnt not to consider them as anything but attention hungry.

If I could have found an alternative that served the same multi purpose advantages I would have switched years ago.

For some of the models of Vito / Viano they are / were ideal taxis. With that came the fact many were clocked, so some one else had had the lower mileage advantages.

Btw, if it's an auto you might find vibes are from the auto box / TC.

It’s an auto 113 (100kw). That’s great news about the torque converter too, thanks. So I spend $2k on the prop shaft and then find it’s still got the vibration? I think I’ll just burn it!

I've had three W639s from new for work, a 2004, 2007 & a 2012, they've all been very reliable with the minimum of repairs, running past 200,000 miles with ease (the 2012 ran to 260,000 miles before failing the MOT on emissions & needing £6k spent on it so was scrapped). You have to remember that components degrade with age as well as mileage & the youngest W639 will be 7 years old now.

It’s an auto 113 (100kw). That’s great news about the torque converter too, thanks. So I spend $2k on the prop shaft and then find it’s still got the vibration? I think I’ll just burn it!
Over here I've used 2 Titan prop shafts. Around £260. Useful for elimination at a cheaper cost.

So all those things happened in the 3 months / 4000 km after you bought the van? How old is it, and what was it used for previously? Has it had the ATF replaced?

I had a heap of problems with ours around 90k miles but quite a few of them were specific to the V6 engine (DPF sensors, manifolds, turbo). Apart from that it's been OK ... now on almost 130k miles. The battery is original (14 years old), I had one front spring snap but the shocks etc. are all original. It's had several sets of brake disks, but that's not unusual on a >2 tonne vehicle with automatic transmission. I have heard of propshaft issues but the other things you mention don't ring any bells (many of my friends have Vitos ... one is on her third, and she runs them from new to 200k miles before changing them).

Thanks folks for your comments, much appreciated. It’s one of the last of the W639 being a 2014, so only 7 years old. I bought it because they did have a good reputation for high mileage, maybe I just got a lemon. The vibration was there when I test drove it, but the tyres were really badly worn and I put it down to them (my bad!).

Just wondering how the torque converter go out of balance?

I took a video of the rear prop shaft on the motorway running up to 110 k/h (starts to build up to speed from the 38 second point and hits the 110k/h around the 54 second point). Not sure if the noise is because of the camera (GoPro) being in a housing, as the centre bearings don’t feel too bad when I dropped the shaft out, and certainly don’t hear anything like that in the cab. The front and rear unis had tight spots when turning them through their full range, but nothing really significant (I’ve felt a lot worse).
Be interested in everyone‘s thoughts. Thanks again folks.

Prop shaft video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom