Vito W639 with ESP/Speedtronic light issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark112

Car
Vito 113
Evening all,

I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on or offer advice on the issues I'm experiencing.

I bought the Vito in June this year. It's a 130cdi automatic, and has been great until around three weeks ago and this is the sequence of events leading up to the start of the ESP light issues.

The parking brake didn't work evenly and the brakes sqealed when turning right, so all the wheels were removed, brakes cleaned, parking brake linkaged lubricated and adjusted.
At the same time, a dedicated loom was added for a towbar, which being CAN, is a single wire on a multi plug, connected into the the loom to the Right above the pedals.. There is also an occaisional drip of water onto the passenger mat, which I believe is due to an issue with the aircon drain, though this is yet to be proved to be the case, but I don't suspect a winscreen leak or similar water ingress.

Shorty after, the ESP light issues developed.

In most cases, there are three faults registered. ESP, Speedtronoc and the road wheel symbol, which as guess is ABS. Sometimes, the rev counter drops to zero and the engine stutters. Occaisionally, the coolant temp warning illumintes and the speedo also drops to zero and when it comes back, all the warning lights illuminate as they do at start up. When the binnicle dies/re starts, a relay can be heard over to the left of the dash, roughly behind the radio, or maybe further over towards the passenger side. The van does occaisionally go into "limp" mode, which isn't much of a limp, as it still easily hits the speed limiter at 80mph.. When the ignition is switched off, the same three messages are displayed. When re-started, the messages are cleared.

The van can drive for a couple of hours or sometimes days without issue. Other times, it starts within a few minutes of start up. Having lived with it for a while, the problems tend to occur on uneven road surfaces, or after hitting a bump or pothole. A couple of times, it has started after a Right turn.

I suspect either a faulty wheel speed sensor/connection, or accidentally disturbed connection under the dash while fitting the towbar electrics.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? WHich connectors should I check, which relaye to the ESP/Speedtronic and instrument cluster?

I read a post on here regarding a similar problem with a W638, where it was suggested that resistance was checked through the wheel speed sensors, via the plug on the side of the ABS pump. Does anyone know if the pins are the same for the 638 and 639? What resistance should I expect?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mark

Hi I have a similar problem
Hi I have a Vito 115 2006 [639] just recently my oil, temp & management light came on the rev counter stopped working and the brake light keeps coming on and off, I have obviously checked oil and water and have been driving it about for last week with no problems sometimes in traffic the speedometer jumps about is this something anybody could help me with.
regards Simon

Have read that the soldered joints in the instrument cluster can deteriorate and as it processes all the inputs for the display, it is really complex, some odd things can happen. If there is no actual physical fault then it might just be the cluster.

Shortly after my original post, the problem went away for the best part of 10 months.

Basically, the van was having a particularly bad day and I smacked the RHS of the binnacle. Job done!

However, around a month ago, I was getting ready to use the caravan and wanted to test the lights. I thought that I had disconnected the CAN connection for the towbar, as the problems started around the time of fitting the towbar. I dropped the panel in the drivers footwell, noticed the CAN connection was still in place so re-fitted the panel. Happy days! It would have been, apart from the problem immediately resurfaced, suggested the fault was connection related rather than module or component related. I then noticed that if the instrument cluster was pushed back into the binnacle while the fault was occurring, it stopped. I then removed the cluster, (which was perhaps too easy) removed the multiplug in the back, cleaned the connectors with a fibreglass pen and refitted. It hasn't played up since.

I have seen reports of bad soldered joints as Marku suggests and this may well be the case with mine. But for now at least, it's fine.

One thing to point out is that disconnecting the cluster wipes out short and long term trips. The long term trip on mine was showing 70-80k miles and the total mileage was just over 110k, so I feel reasonably comfortable that no one has been behind the dash recently to try to fix the problem. I've just been unlucky the wiring was disturbed when I had the towbar fitted.

Hope you get yours sorted..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom