Viynl wrapping interior

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr vandango

Car
CLK 320 W208
Hi guys, I thought I'd try to update my interior trim a little, as I'm not keen on the wood effect, so I gave wrapping a bit of a go. Right near the end I figured I could turn it into a bit of a how to, so I took a handful of pictures to show some of the steps involved and the finished result.

Firstly you need to order the wrap of your choice. I went for matt black, and ordered a 300mmx1500mm roll for about a fiver. It has a special backing that allows air bubbles to be released. I got mine from ebay, and here is a typical example of what ma be available:

4D Carbon Fibre Vinyl Wrap (Air/Bubble Free) 4 Colours Multi sizes | eBay

I started with the cup holder lid, as I couldn't figure out how to remove it, and I knew I could do it in place. You will need:

A sharp craft knife (I used a 'Stanley' knife) with the snap off blades is ideal, and a decent pair of scissors

A heat gun (or your wife/husband's hairdryer)

All pieces spotlessly clean and dust free

Patience!

I measured the lid itself, then marked this on the back of the vinyl. This is then cut out (allow at least a 10mm overlap) and you're ready to go. I used the knife to gently prise the backing away (handy if you don't have long nails).

I then positioned the sheet over the lid and lay it over it from front to back and smoothed out any bubbles with the edge of my fingers.

Once the sheet was in place I pushed it down the sides (much easier if the piece is off the car!) and again smoothed it down with my fingers. It is the smoothing and pressing which activates the adhesive.

Now it's time to apply a little heat. Doing one corner at a time, I gently heated the sheet up until it looked pliable and soft. I'd say 3/4 secs with a heat gun on low, maybe double that with the hairdryer (I tried both). Once it looked right, then I gently pulled the vinyl around and over the corner with a slight stretch and held it there for a little while. When released, it should stay in place and be wrinkle free. I did the same on the remaining corners and it was done.

I trimmed the excess off as I went to stop it getting in the way as I progressed, but only once I cleared a corner or 'stretch' section, as you need some material to get hold of to manipulate. Gently score along the line you wish to trim and peel away. It cuts very easily, so you don't need to apply much pressure. I trimmed along the back edge where the wood effect stops and becomes the black plastic.

Repeat for all other pieces and you're done!

I googled how to remove the other trim. I did all the wood effect, and the door grab handles as one of mine was tatty.

The seat switch unit prises off, and you then have to release the tabs holding the cover back.

The trim on the door cards requires the door card to be removed. Each trim is held in place my four metal clips. Prise these off with a small screwdriver and pull away.

The gear selector trim requires you to remove the gear knob. The lower part twist anti-clockwise (I think!) and falls away. You then just pull hard on the know and it comes straight off. Open up the ash tray lid and pull the selector trim in the two corners. It may need quite a tug.

The trim around the heater dials and switches should be levered gently away with a flat bladed screwdriver.

Pictures are poor, but they give a rough idea!

Attachments

• IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 81
And the result? Sorry about the sideways picture!

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 92
I done my old w208 in carbon and it looked great, im thinking of doing my convertible in a brushed aluminium film, has anyone used this before? Im not sure how it will look once the film is stretched (round corners) as carbon looks normal when this is done.

I done my old w208 in carbon and it looked great, im thinking of doing my convertible in a brushed aluminium film, has anyone used this before? Im not sure how it will look once the film is stretched (round corners) as carbon looks normal when this is done.

I have tried doing the door handles of my previous car (Seat Leon).

The film is much tougher than others, therefore it was really problematic to get it to stretch far - its still flexible, but has a different feel to it, you'll understand once you try.

The effect & texture is impressive, I'm no expert though!!

Attachments

• 2014-01-18 12.00.00.jpg
    2014-01-18 12.00.00.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 2014-01-18 11.56.44.jpg
    2014-01-18 11.56.44.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 2014-01-18 11.57.16.jpg
    2014-01-18 11.57.16.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 58
Wow that look like a lovely job mate :)

Wow that look like a lovely job mate :)

Haha it wasn't perfect, but thanks!!

As I've mentioned, the film was very rigid compared to others that I've used, & I couldn't stretch it enough to stick on the inside part of the handle, so it can to be trimmed around that part...

I was only using a hair dryer to heat it up, but don't think my hands would of handled anymore heat than that...

Hi, Well done, it looks great. I did the same on a BMW, but the wife didn't like it, so sold the car and went back to Mercedes. (Should never have left).

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt I will do the door handles looks like a mission lol, and my dash is the same as the the one at the top of this post so hopefully it wont give me too much grief as the shapes are relatively easy to would around.

I did my 202 centre console bits in 3M Di-Noc carbon fibre look vinyl. I think I have some pictures somewhere.
It looked really good.
I think the key is to get the best quality vinyl you can.

I've got the aluminium trim in my CLK, I don't think that anything would stick on to that...

It wasn't that bad, just need time & someone to hold the hairdryer / heat gun.. Not sure if you can get some sort of heatproof gloves, that would help working at temperatures when the film is flexible.

Hi, Well done, it looks great. I did the same on a BMW, but the wife didn't like it, so sold the car and went back to Mercedes. (Should never have left).

I doubt I will do the door handles looks like a mission lol, and my dash is the same as the the one at the top of this post so hopefully it wont give me too much grief as the shapes are relatively easy to would around.

I did my 202 centre console bits in 3M Di-Noc carbon fibre look vinyl. I think I have some pictures somewhere.
It looked really good.
I think the key is to get the best quality vinyl you can.

Agreed, wouldn't touch anything but 3M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom